Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Traveling with Dish TV

We always take a Dish TV reciever with us when we travel and hook it up to the living room TV. this is the 2 room model. No matter how I hooked up the cables I couldn't recieve Satellite in the bedroom, just the local channels off the antenna.
This year I pulled the fire place and dropped an extra cable down the inside of wall and then drilled thru the outside wall and installed a coaxel plug on outside of camper right next to the in cable/satellite plug.
I then went to the bedroom wall and inside the closet close to the floor drilled another hole to outside and installed another cable plug and then ran the coaxel wire along bottom of closet and up the wall and used a diplexer to tie satellite and antanna together.
I carry a extra cable to hook the two together outsside so that we have satelite in both rooms.
I would think the newer models are pre wired now for this set up.

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
With my rig, if you want the satellite signal to the bedroom you have to change the little jumper next to the antenna booster.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
gduff
Established Member

M.O.C. #12954
You would think the new units would come prewired for satellite. We just traded ours in and I had the dealer wire a dual feed to the living area and a single to the bedroom. They installed a new panel in the hook-up area. Looks nice and works well.
gduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
congrats on the new rig!
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
X2 on what Dick said. I just have to switch the jumper cable next to the booster also.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #6
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Here is what I FINALLY figured out with a two room unit I have thanks to another user on this forum.

Go into the Menu of your dish system, go to Installation and then to Modulator. You will see a screen with TV 1 Out and TV 2 Out.

I have mine set to Channel 62 and Mode Air on TV 1 Out.

I have mine set to Channel 60 and Mode Air on TV 2 out.

I than set my TV 1 to channel 62 and TV 2 to channel 60 and I can use the two different remotes (1 for living room and 2 for bedroom) to surf all the channels I get.

I hope this helps you. Oh yes, I have the TV Boost switch off and the cable connected to Bedroom TV.

It lets you use the existing wiring to power and watch both TV's on different channels.

Good luck with your setup.
jetenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The jumper on ours is in the top cabinet on the back wall. Reaching that jumper to disconnect and reconnect it really is a PITA. So, like Allen, I drilled a hole in the side, above the desk, immediately next to the cable connector. I routed the cord down through the desk wire hole and behind the desk drawers into the fireplace cabinet (no fireplace in ours) and up to the electronics. Our satellite setup is one TV only so I didn't try to connect to the bedroom tv.

on edit - that's immediately next to the phone jack, not the cable connector.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
yes, from my experience it is a pain. montana just doesn't have it sit up to easily do dish with one receiver. i had problems with my 2010 and with my 2013. what a pain....but it is now working.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:21 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I rewired the connection to the bedroom TV so that I can get all TV sources--Dish sat, cable, & on the air--at each TV by using a video switch I bought at CW. It takes a dual sat receiver so that each TV has a separate control for the sat receiver that is connected. Also I leave the boost connected and On. No reconnects or outside cables just select a source by pushing a button the video switch. We have a 06 3475 Montana.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
We have two coaxial cables connected to the dish for the bedroom and livingroom tv's. Our installer said we needed one for each box for better reception. Thats why they say direct, lol. In the cable connection location on the Montana 3500RL we have two coaxial connectors for the cables on a wallmount plate. These two connections run to the bedroom and livingroom, each with a wall mount connector. When using a campsite cable system, I made a spliter with two short coaxials to connect the bedroom and livingroom sources. Now I have to disconnect the boxes in bedroom and livingroom and connect from wallmount direct to tv. When using the antenna, I use the antenna Montana installed connectors direct to tv. It is a nuciense at times, but we have our tv, lol. Hope this is of help.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
Tomg
Established Member

M.O.C. #12667
I'm looking st my HDTV setup which has three wires coming off the dish itself. My receivers are all different. One controls three TV's one controls two and one is not HD and controls one. The one that controls three has only one input wire and no antenna. The two receiver controller has two input wires and one out put to a single TV and an antenna. That receiver controls another TV. The non HD receiver only controls one. After looking them over I think I'm going to have to be satisfied with a non HDTV and use a non HDTV outside antenna. Otherwise it becomes more than I can deal with unless someone has some guidance for me. I can deal with the HDTV receiver that has one input wire and controls two but how do I deal with the three wires off the outside antenna and goes to the single input wire?? Can I use that receiver with a non HDTV outside antenna?? Need a little help.
Tomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hmmm, when I jumper in my Satellite receiver into my living room it also supplies the signal to the bedroom TV, too (don't forget to turn off the booster). I guess my setup is much like "jetenbu" but not quite...

The issue we have is that the two TVs are NOT independent because I use a single port receiver so anything spliced off this unit will show the same thing on all TVs on the wire. I went to Radio Shack and bought an IR transmitter that allows me to use the remote in the bedroom and the IR transmitter sends the signal to the receiver in the living room and I can control the channels that way, but both TVs will show the same thing.

To solve the concurrent channel issue I would need a two port receiver like "jetenbu" describes. No rewiring needed!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote