Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Two names the same

If you are not aware of it, we now have two names the same but spaced differently on the membership rolls!

George and Rosetta Person= Jay Bird from Fayetteville, NC
Jay Hardebeck= jaybird from Kent, WA

I think Jay's threads are being confused with George and Rosetta's!

Just thought the admistrators and moderators should be aware of it-- if you are not already!

Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Rondo,
We do encourage members to have different names. As a matter of fact there can be no doubles. There can be very close situations. And you have pointed out one such situation. If one of the members wants to change then they can request that via an Administrator.

Another thing is that members could watch very closely who they think they are talking to. This puts a lot of responsibility on the reader........ And maybe that is not a bad thing.

We are open for other suggestions.

Thank you for your input.
RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I noticed that, too. Hmm.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Yeah, me too.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
there is two jim n deb's the other one has a capital J and D at the beginning. jim
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Just a word of caution if anyone wants to have it changed!
It has been my experience that the forum administration will only allow your user name to be changed one time.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, that one would really be confusing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Jim n Deb,
After your post you had me worried. The system does not differentiate between upper and lower case so if someone tried to log on as Jim n Deb it would be the same as your jim n deb. There is another name VERY close to yours. It is Jim and Deb. The difference is the word and.

The password field does differentiate between upper and lower case letters so there you must match exactly.

Bill-N-Donna,
If there was a truly compelling reason to make multiple name changes I'm sure the Admins would consider changing names. For obvious reasons it is not something we would do on an ongoing basis. Each case will be considered on a case by case basis. Please note that there are some built in limitations in registering names. Mostly this has to with email addresses.

All interested members,
Please note that in reference to Jay Bird vs jaybird that the name jaybird was registered before Jay Bird.

Thank you,
RVWheels
Old 10-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I hope we don't get another sailer;;I do feel the moderatorts should ask the last person to ask for a name that it is tooooooooooo close to another name and ask them to change it ;;;;sailer;;;;;I see no reason for snowhawk 2 as that is also a close name ;;;;
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Sailer,
We appreciate your input on this subject. There are many names that are very similar. It is not unusual at all to see a popular name registered many times. Now since the system will not allow a duplicate name folks will then tack a number onto the name. This is not unusual and is seen on every board I've ever seen. So a name like snowhawk and snowhawk 2 come into being. Nothing wrong with that process. Can it cause some confusion? Of course it can. But it seldom does.

Our Admins and Moderators serve as unpaid volunteers. They do a really good job. And we will continue to monitor the names but don't plan to make any significant changes at this time.

You would be surprised at some of the names folks have tried registering! Sometimes they are funny and sometimes just plain obscene. We try to catch all of those types of things so our members don't have to deal with them. If you should run across something that we've missed we would appreciate your bringing it to our attention.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
RVWheels, MOC Admin.