Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
How Much Wind Can We Take?

We are currently working in New Jersey and the latest forecast pertaining to Hurricane Irene is gusts up to 89 on Sunday.

Okay, with slides in and tanks full, how much wind can one of these babies take without toppling over?

We have safe shelter to go to, so no worries there.

Darn forecast keeps changing hour to hour, but latest is spooking me with these 89 MPH gusts. Again, we are static and working long-term. Of course, we could pack up, hit the Interstate and head West, but would rather not if not necessary.

So . . . . any guidelines on how much wind our Monty can take without toppling over?

Thanks!

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don't know that there are any hard fast numbers of how much wind it can withstand without rolling over. If I were staying in place, I would get some of the screw type anchors, screw them into the ground as far as possible, and strap them securely to the frame. More the better.
But I would also make sure there were no trees that could be blown over on top of it. Falling trees and blowing debris may be the biggest concern. Not sure what you can do about the windows. Can't really nail plywood over them.
Good luck.

Edit: I was speaking of the mobile home type anchors, not awning type anchors.
They keep slowly moving the projected path of the hurricane farther off the coast. But a little inconvenience of moving farther inland now could save a huge inconvenience later of a damaged trailer.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
OK folks we have 2 Texans guessing how much wind a Monty will stand. Since my daughter was born in Texas I suppose I can offer advice. We Floridians get the hell out of the path of an approaching hurricane. Since the Monty has wheels its real easy. Work will be there when you return, Monty in tack.
JMO
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ours withstood 75 mph winds from hurricane Ike a couple of years ago. We were in Ohio, visiting the Air Force Museum. Wind was broadside. We brought slides and awnings in and no problems other than the sewer hose blowing down the street. I imagine it would withstand more IF turned into the wind. Be wary of falling branches and limbs though, these are probably your biggest concern. Keep an eye outside the camper watching for rolling limbs and branches. Move them the best you can. I did strap my large slide topper initially, but then brought it in.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
O yeah, one other thing to mention about hurricanes. They tend to spon a few tornado's in their path. Nasty little buggers. Also,
did I mention one caused over $38k damage to my stick house a few years back. Now you have the rest of my story so you know why I get out of the way.
Cheers,
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
The wind on the west side of the hurricane is not as dangerous as the east and north sides. So if the eye stays out to sea or just off the coast, the coast will be pummeled but the farther inland you are the safer. We here in N.C. get ripped when they come ashore in S.C. If it turns to the northeast, a good guess for safety would be 50 miles inland. But that is still a guess. The most important thing to fear are the tornados that are born in their path. If I were concerned, I would try to be at least 100 miles west of eye. Good luck ! Larry PS I think if you were inland to I95 or west of it you should be fine.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Just watched a Science Channel or History Channel story about hurricanes. They make me nervous! I'd take the safest way and get out of Dodge. Why take the risk of damage or injury?

Good luck.
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
GO! We're native Texans who've been through several very bad hurricanes, including Hurricane Carla in 1961, and know that staying in an RV is not what you want to do during hurricane-force winds and with the threat of tornados. Why take a chance? Storms frequently do change paths quickly and without warning. Save yourselves some bad moments and a lot of worry. Go, and stay until you know it's safe to return.
Wayne & Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agree with others comments its best to leave now... We did a similar indecision thing while in Assateague Island, Va. and ended up sitting in Monty on the island as Ernesto made a slow progress northward. Winds were in the 70mph range and believe me...NEVER AGAIN...we survived but it was no fun.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Thanks to all who are responding.

No worries on our personal safety; if we stay, we will NOT be in the rig. We are security/caretakers at a dormant mill and I am setting up a shelter room for us in the mill.

No way we would stay in the rig!

We will keep an eye on the forecast for another 24 hours and see what things look like.
TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I would send an email to your employer asking them their advice as regards your safety and your property (ie your Monty). This way the liability is removed from you and placed on those who are paying you.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
As an almost life long Florida resident, I say take your Monty and get out of town, now. The hurricane people THINK they know where this is going, but they will NEVER say for certain until the last minute. You are wise not to stay in the rig during the storm, but if you value your home and you r belongings, and it is possible to run inland for a couple of days, do it. Think of it as a mini vacation, or just put it down to fear. I've seen first hand what a hurricane can do to mobile homes and travel trailers alike, and it ain't pretty! I'm reasonably sure your employer will understand your caution, and security of an empty would be secondary importance to you and yours. Go. Now.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Looks like they have moved the center of the projected path back closer to the coast. Be careful out there.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Any hurricane forecast involves a wide projected pathway as knowing exactly how it will respond to all the varied conditions in the atmosphere as well as land can only be guessed at. If you are in that predicted cone, get out!

I think the idea of contacting your employer and asking what he will be responsible for is a darn good one!

Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote