Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2024, 07:25 PM   #1
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Rear overhang support

Strange question...
Our 3901RK is a rear kitchen model with the refrigerator on the rear wall, but not in a slide out. Do any of you see a need to provide additional support when camping, for the area beyond the rear jacks. Since the refrigerator is a significant amount of weight hanging back there, I was thinking perhaps I would install an additional support at the rear, using the hitch receiver.
Thoughts??

jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:26 PM   #2
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
I think you are way overthinking that to an extreme. Heard of no issues with a fridge support being needed. All fridges are on an exterior wall which would hang outside frame. Many even in a slide out with less support. Rear mounted probably more supported than most since frame goes all the way to the rear.
Just my humble honest opinion.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:06 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If I'm looking at the right photos of your model, your kitchen is raised (in the rear) and you have a huge storage space under the floor with a rear outside access. The kitchen floor is framed with aluminum. The Aluminum is framed to the bottom floor of the camper which then sits on the actual main frame.

In actually, the weight of your refrigerator is NOT directly on the 2 main frames supporting the entire length of the camper. It's sitting about 2 1/2 or more feet above the main frame on an aluminum supported floor.

Is this correct:

If this is so, then yes, I can see where over time the bouncing up and down of the rear of the camper with the weight of the refrigerator sitting on the very end could weaken or even break the aluminum supports under the kitchen floor.

How you would support or strengthen it would be a different matter. The weak spot is not with the 2 - 12 inch frames. They will support the weight just fine with any bouncing. You'll need to add support from the bottom floor to the kitchen (upper) floor.

I think if it were mine, I'd use a metal beam across and then an upright from the bottom to the top floor to support it independent of the trailers aluminum framing.

I can see in time, you'll have floor separation or broken aluminum frame welds under that refrigerator floor.

Good luck.

(Now.... if the camper is parked stationary and never moves, you'll have no problems, the problem will be ONLY if you travel and those horrid bridge transition joints on interstates that tear things up inside the camper... there is the problem).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:39 AM   #4
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Yes, that is exactly how my trailer is setup. I think I will add support to the aluminum frame so I don't get any separation or sagging. I know of one couple that had the entire back wall fall off and they attributed the failure to the weight back there.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:13 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Your camper will be subject to many more times the stress bouncing down the road than a refrigerator just setting in the back.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 04:37 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I agree with Derby6. My former 5'er 3000RK had the RV refrigerator in the back. I had to remove it to replace the cooling unit. I was able to slide the entire unit out of the built in cabinet by myself and slide it down a ramp to the floor. The entire assembled unit is not all that heavy. I'm guessing around 125#. Most of the weight was in the cooling unit.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:39 PM   #7
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
That's pretty light. I would have expected heavier. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:30 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkxtreme View Post
That's pretty light. I would have expected heavier. Thanks for the reply.
Now my refrig was an RV absorption so no compressor. Just a burner, electric heating element, and the tubing on the back. The box and the doors are mostly plastic with foam insulation between the inner and outer sheath.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:38 PM   #9
Lins and Vic
Established Member

M.O.C. #33732
The problem with the 3901RK with a residential refrigerator is it isn't secured in its space very well. While traveling it can come loose and cause lots of damage. Some have had fixes done before they were sold not mine 2023. Per Montana there aren't any wall studs in the space for the frig to secure it to. The bounce while traveling can cause the feet to punch through the floor. Fixes can be add 1/2"-3/4" plywood under the frig to help the floor. The back wall add same plywood glued and screwed then reattach frig bracket and add blocks and strap near top to stop the rock while traveling.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:36 PM   #10
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Interesting... Our unit has brackets that secures the fridg but nothing under the floor.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:58 PM   #11
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Yea that is interesting. Seeing design (hollow underneath) and nothing under floor, I'd consider adding 3/4" plywood or flat piece of aluminum if one could acquire that.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote