Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2015, 01:39 AM   #21
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Petmoose

We have a 2012 3582 that has the emergency window behind the ladder. I have wondered about that since we bought it. Are the calls going to all Montana owners or do you have to make a complaint?

We figured the windows are not a real fast/viable option for a quick exit. I have a welders blanket and a large fire extinguisher for both of us to make a run for the door.
I like the idea of the elders blanket.

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:30 AM   #22
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
A couple months ago when I had to file a complaint with the NHTSA to finally get a replacement handle for my rear emergency window the agent questioned me also about the location of mine. It sounded to me from our conversation that there had been at least one complaint from a Keystone Montana owner.

If the NHTSA has started a case on it you can bet the problem will be taken care of. No one seemed to have ever heard of the short emergency handles for the rear escape windows. I tried to get one from dealers and Keystone for over 14 months under warranty. Then the NHTSA took some complaints and I fully expected to see the handles hanging up in Walmart!
Old 06-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #23
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
We have a 2013 Big Sky 3582 with emergency window on driver side and ladder on passenger side. Must have been a new crew at the factory?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #24
Gcasta
Established Member

M.O.C. #14578
I just looked at my unit and have the same issue. Can only open the emergency window a couple of inches. I wonder how Keystone plans to fix this. I guess I also need to file a complaint to the NHTSA
Gcasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It makes you wonder why no one at Keystone noticed that. How mnay other things have they not noticed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #26
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Our 2012 - 3402RL has 3 "marked" emergency exits. One at the desk in that slide out (hinged on top), one in the bedroom window (hinged on top) and the rear window is also marked "emergency exit". It like the others has a red handle but slides from the passenger side to the driver side in other words opens away from the ladder. I feel this is not a bad thing and might very well assist in getting to the ground through the open window. One thing for sure it is the lowest one to the ground.

If the rear escape window is hinged on the top and is behind the ladder then that is a problem and needs to be addressed for safety reasons, it will be interesting to see if "anything" is actually done about this issue.

I am certain those designers sitting at their computers never actually go out and see what the end result is of their changes and supposed upgrades. The RV industry has to be the least regulated and overseen of any manufacturer building mass produced products. They sure don't seem to self regulate or oversee what the results of design changes produce. This problem is industry wide not just Keystone.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 2013 3402 Big Sky Build date of May 2012 does not have a rear escape window of any kind .We do have the other two. I have tried imagine how in the world you can get over the desk and out that side escape window. Think I will ask one of the keystone reps at the fall rally to demonstrate that.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #28
andylparish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17188
Rich

Can't help but notice the date on your signiture, You, Helen and the Big Sky look great, 10 years in the future. LOL
Mountain Home, Arkansas
andylparish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #29
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Rich our unit came with a big red sticker on the rear window where it slides to one side, it is not at all like the other two and is basically only a sliding window but is a good 18" high and fully open is a couple of feet wide. We did notice some units had the two smaller sliding windows on the bottom of the rear window, different than ours, guess they had to use up what they had before changing over.

Not a single one of these "emergency escapes" is an easy out, however it does I guess meet the requirements to have them.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Andy. We did not take the picture and do not know how to remove the date. Guess we will do another picture.