Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Hedgehog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17426
Legacy package has no book value

My wife and I were looking at a class A motorhome and inquired about a trade in value on my 2016 Montana 3160RL Legacy. It appears that even though this option is pretty expensive, according to NADA or Kelley Blue Book which I think is unfortunate for the seller and the buyer if financing.

Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I bet they'd change their tune if you deducted the value of the "upgrades" on the new motorhome when you wrote the check!
Freakin' crooks..

Mark
Old 06-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
OK, I need help here. Who is the crook? NADA? KBB? Seller? Buyer?

How does NADA or KBB not listing the Legacy package as on option make someone/anyone a crook?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post

How does NADA or KBB not listing the Legacy package as on option make someone/anyone a crook?
Well, you could start with the obvious.. A dealer trying to tell you a $6000.00 upgrade option had no value on trade in.

Mark
Old 06-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
With that reasoning neither could he tell a potential buyer that the unit he is trying to sell had a $6,000 upgrade option.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we traded we got little or nothing for all the extras our rig had including a high dollar solar system. We made the deal because the price difference was good, in our opinion, and we wanted the new rig. It would be interesting to know if customers are willing to pay more for a used Legacy. In our case, we didn't want anything that came with the Legacy except maybe the upgraded suspension.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #7
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Maybe you should have done more research prior to buying and then selling the Montana so quickly.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Did plenty, it's all about the difference. Some dealers would offer more because they knew we valued our trade, others offered less and a big discount off the new one before the trade was included. We went for the deal from a local dealer who will do the work, if needed and whose difference was at least as good as anyone elses. But that meant what they gave us in trade was high NADA for the stock model of our type, but we paid 10G less for the new one than other dealers quoted.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Banks~~ Banks add no value to most if any upgrades. Starting with over $2K on slide toppers that will have zero value at trade time. Even if the dealer sees value in upgrades on a trade he knows if a buyer is getting a loan the bank will not.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When we traded our 06 3400 we did get extra value for the Mor Ryde IS.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:29 AM   #11
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Most add-ons by the owner are worthless to a dealer but if selling to an individual then maybe a little more money, especially items such as is and disc brakes. The dealer usually gives you nothing for your upgrades but you can bet he will use your upgrades to sell to the next guy. Upgrades are nothing more than for your safety and convenience. I've got a lot of extras i've done to my rv just as i did to my Ford Shelby . The extras might make a prospective buyer look at yours more compared to another but if it's like my Shelby, it's a total loss.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:17 AM   #12
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
When we traded in our last TT (only one I've ever traded), the dealer wanted me to remove the Steadyfast system and flat screen TV as they weren't included with the original. I took out the TV, but told them there'd be holes left if I took off the Steadyfast.

Dealers are really focused on buying and selling units that are just like they are straight from the factory. That's why NADA, etc. don't give much value to add-on things. As for packages, if you look at the online versions of the NADA guide for 2016 (http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2016/Keystone-RV), there's no Legacy, but there is for 2017. You'd have to add the individual upgrades instead to get anything for them, but that's a bit beyond a typical salesman's capability . .
Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I'm like most people I think. I buy because I like something. If that makes it worth more great if it doesn't no big deal. I don't care what it's worth or what someone thinks.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
In the end it is what it is. Over the course of owning a vehicle we have added on many things during ownership, hitches, accent stripping, bug reflectors etc. And it is the same thing at trade in time.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
When we traded we got little or nothing for all the extras our rig had including a high dollar solar system. We made the deal because the price difference was good, in our opinion, and we wanted the new rig. It would be interesting to know if customers are willing to pay more for a used Legacy. In our case, we didn't want anything that came with the Legacy except maybe the upgraded suspension.
Didn't you remove all your solar equipment? You're right that it adds no value. I've had the same solar setup on three 5th wheels now.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
No we didn't. If we add solar to this one we will do it very different and the dealer made it clear that if we left that many holes in the roof (16 or more) they didn't have that much interest in the rig as a trade. But really, if we do it again we will do it very differently and not with that type of inverter and probably not with those solar controllers.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #17
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I just put dicor in the screw holes and a puddle on top. Then left the holes cut inside for the various switches the way they were . None of the dealers had a problem with that.

Since you want a new system it didn't matter that you abandoned your solar system.

But myself I wouldn't buy a used RV that someone else installed solar on. There are just to many incompetent self installers and the so called professional installers out there.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #18
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Most add-ons by the owner are worthless to a dealer but if selling to an individual then maybe a little more money, especially items such as is and disc brakes. The dealer usually gives you nothing for your upgrades but you can bet he will use your upgrades to sell to the next guy. Upgrades are nothing more than for your safety and convenience. I've got a lot of extras i've done to my rv just as i did to my Ford Shelby . The extras might make a prospective buyer look at yours more compared to another but if it's like my Shelby, it's a total loss.
THIS IS NOT AN OWNER ADD ON! Legacy includes rear cap, high gloss gel coat, auto level, correct track, morryde,
4400 etc... this is like saying a dealer won't give you the value of a Trans Am only the value of a firebird...ADD 6000 to the value and start there. Then say the MSRP was 90k, value used is 45,,,that's a drop of 50 percent..now drop 6000 Optionby 50 to 3000.... add this to the value..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ok, but many motor home dealers don't want a 5th wheel in trade anyway. Even if they sell some.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #20
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post

I was looking at nadaguides.com today and noticed that they have added the Legacy Edition as a separate category for each model. This is only for new units. Not sure if they will go back and add it to prior years.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote