Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Arts & Crafts
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
What’s everyone working on/crafting as they travel around?

Hello all,

Just wondering what everyone doing on the road...I’d love to hear. We are headed west. I knit wherever and whenever I can. This trip I bought along some card making supplies, a basket of yarn and needles, and some pencils and paper. I hope to finish one blanket and start another for a Christmas present. I need to design some paper projects also. Plus, I hope to capture some great photos this trip.

Hope to see you on the road or at a rally.
Safe travels. Have fun!

2020 GMC 3500 Crew Cab Dually
Marilynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
Russ&Reen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21546
Hello!

My project right now is a quilt. I'm hand quilting it in a hoop, so it will keep me busy for quite awhile.

We have the same floor plan, where do you store your crafting supplies? Mine don't have a real home yet.

Maureen
Russ&Reen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Joyce is a painter so she paints everywhere we go.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ&Reen View Post
Hello!

My project right now is a quilt. I'm hand quilting it in a hoop, so it will keep me busy for quite awhile.

We have the same floor plan, where do you store your crafting supplies? Mine don't have a real home yet.

Maureen
Hi Maureen,

What colors are in your quilt? I bet it is beautiful. Hand quilting will be amazing. That will keep you quite busy.

It is tricky sometimes to store what I’d like to bring, especially on a long trip. Between the dining table and recliner, I have a quilted felt basket to hold fiber materials and accessories. Behind it I put a WIP (work in progress) bag or two.
I always has a project or two with me in the truck. Drawing materials are in a square on one of the shelves under the closet. Paper crafting this trip is in two bags. I put my cutter and punches in one. Honestly, I play around with it every trip.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Joyce is a painter so she paints everywhere we go.
Hi Dick,

I would love to some of her creations. I bet painting in different places must be inspiring. We can’t wait to see you again at the rally.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynd View Post
Hi Dick,

I would love to some of her creations. I bet painting in different places must be inspiring. We can’t wait to see you again at the rally.
We're looking forward to it also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Russ&Reen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21546
Marilyn: This one is white with bright stars. They are turquoise, pink, yellow and green. It's rather small, just 56x80 but a decent size for snuggling up on the couch. I store a WIP quilt in a narrow zippered project bag behind the recliners. I'll be working on it at the rally if it's still not finished by then, I'm pretty slow on my quilting in the summer. Right now I'm trying to find a spot for my sewing supplies so they are not strewn all about. I'm trying to convince Russ that a sewing/craft desk would be much more useful than the front sofa.

Dick: I hope she brings paintings to the rally, I'd love to see them. That particular talent passed me by. So I cut up perfectly good fabric and sew it back together.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My wife tried quilting while in the truck but soon found it too bumpy. Now she knits in the truck - just some simple blankets. Then at night she also hoop quilts, etc. She hates all the 'new' technology with the machine quilting, but has given in a little and hires people to do it once in a while to finish off the quilt. When she had something like 13 or 17 tops put together and a lot of applique on some of them, she knew she had to get something finished (I bugged her a lot about not finishing anything). Hence the hiring out to machine quilters.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #9
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Maureen,
It sounds beautiful. Maybe we can knit and quilt together at the rally. There will be some open time. Can’t wait to see it.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #10
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
My wife tried quilting while in the truck but soon found it too bumpy. Now she knits in the truck - just some simple blankets. Then at night she also hoop quilts, etc. She hates all the 'new' technology with the machine quilting, but has given in a little and hires people to do it once in a while to finish off the quilt. When she had something like 13 or 17 tops put together and a lot of applique on some of them, she knew she had to get something finished (I bugged her a lot about not finishing anything). Hence the hiring out to machine quilters.
I also knit in the truck. Some of those bumps makes me drop a stitch here and there. Quilting is amazing. It’s something I don’t know how to do. Are you going to be attending the fall rally?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #11
Russ&Reen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21546
Marilyn,
We'll have to find each other there, and hopefully get more crafters to join us. I'd love to learn to knit, I've tried but just can't seem to get the hang of it from a book. Maybe watching would do the trick.

Tom,
Are you coming to the rally?
Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #12
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Maureen, sounds like a plan! There’s going to be a lot of fun things planned for the rally.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #13
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Gail and I will both be at the Rally. I will pass this along.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
ASs Marilynd knows there is a Craft Coordinator for the 2019 MOC Fall Rally and she will be posting here on the Forum under the Fall Rally section in a few weeks or so. Hopefully, she is reading these posts and will be able to set up some sessions for the ladies and even any men that would like to join in to learn some new crafts and create some new and useful things. Keep watching the Forum postings and see what is new to come as Marilynd states. See everyone in Goshen in September!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #15
chulavista
Established Member

M.O.C. #25440
When we start traveling, I'm taking my colored pencils with me. Sounds pretty grade-school but you would really be surprised what kind of art is produced with them nowadays. I have colored pencils I will not let my grandkids touch!!
Retirement May 31 2020
chulavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #16
LindaV
Established Member

M.O.C. #21510
I love quilting, but since I am still working it seems like I have trouble finding the time...and feels like a lot to try and take on trips. I am somewhat of a craft junkie! I have way more crafts going on than I can find the time to do. I do take my woodburnings with me on some of our trips, and have also carved and burned on hiking sticks & hubby has started carving, so we will sometimes sit outside under the popup tent and work on projects. I would love to really learn to knit and crochet. I can fake crocheting, lol...just straight lines back and forth, but I have issues with keeping count and always end up ripping out a line and starting over.
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #17
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My wife and I are still working, but we are both 100% work-from-home. So, have computer, have internet, will travel. Our work day is from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, M-F. But as we both are salaried, sometimes the day (and nights) can get pretty long.

When our work day is over, we're usually too pooped and brain dead to do much else. We play with the dogs, get a camp fire going, empty the tanks, fix supper and then it's time for bed to start all over again.

No crafting here. At home I have a wood shop in our smaller garage. I've spent 60 (plus) years remodeling houses, restoring houses, fixing church parsonages, repairing roof's on churches, remodeling mobile homes, and building a myriad of craft wood items (I love my scroll saw). But I'm now just burned out from doing all of that. I suppose tackling an old house and the new house at the same time was a bit much about 12 years ago, and I just literally burned out of wanting to do anything except vegetate now.

So, my hobby now is simply that .... vegetating around the camp fire and reading camping forums. But I still have my employment that occupies most of my time. If that's a "hobby", then, i suppose that's what my hobby is then.

We travel a lot now. Haven't been back at the house very much this year. Started out January 1 and came home for 2 weeks end of February and hit the road again in March. Did another couple weeks at home and by middle April we were on the road again. Did a week at home the first week in May and here we are again ... who knows when we'll get back home this time!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:51 PM   #18
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaV View Post
I love quilting, but since I am still working it seems like I have trouble finding the time...and feels like a lot to try and take on trips. I am somewhat of a craft junkie! I have way more crafts going on than I can find the time to do. I do take my woodburnings with me on some of our trips, and have also carved and burned on hiking sticks & hubby has started carving, so we will sometimes sit outside under the popup tent and work on projects. I would love to really learn to knit and crochet. I can fake crocheting, lol...just straight lines back and forth, but I have issues with keeping count and always end up ripping out a line and starting over.
Linda,

Quilting pieces are so beautiful. My daughter just made me a beautiful camping themed fabric basket. It will be perfect for the Montana. I have never tried wood burning and carving. It looks interesting to me. Someday, I love learning new things. If you can crochet a line, you can learn advance stitches and knitting. I used to struggle with the count, it just took time. I still run into a pattern that messes with me and my count.
Safe travels.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #19
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulavista View Post
When we start traveling, I'm taking my colored pencils with me. Sounds pretty grade-school but you would really be surprised what kind of art is produced with them nowadays. I have colored pencils I will not let my grandkids touch!!
Kathy,

Colored pencils are a great idea. They are fun to use. A couple of times, we had a coloring session and learned from a very talented lady. Her pieces are amazing!
Safe travels.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #20
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
My wife and I are still working, but we are both 100% work-from-home. So, have computer, have internet, will travel. Our work day is from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, M-F. But as we both are salaried, sometimes the day (and nights) can get pretty long.

When our work day is over, we're usually too pooped and brain dead to do much else. We play with the dogs, get a camp fire going, empty the tanks, fix supper and then it's time for bed to start all over again.

No crafting here. At home I have a wood shop in our smaller garage. I've spent 60 (plus) years remodeling houses, restoring houses, fixing church parsonages, repairing roof's on churches, remodeling mobile homes, and building a myriad of craft wood items (I love my scroll saw). But I'm now just burned out from doing all of that. I suppose tackling an old house and the new house at the same time was a bit much about 12 years ago, and I just literally burned out of wanting to do anything except vegetate now.

So, my hobby now is simply that .... vegetating around the camp fire and reading camping forums. But I still have my employment that occupies most of my time. If that's a "hobby", then, i suppose that's what my hobby is then.

We travel a lot now. Haven't been back at the house very much this year. Started out January 1 and came home for 2 weeks end of February and hit the road again in March. Did another couple weeks at home and by middle April we were on the road again. Did a week at home the first week in May and here we are again ... who knows when we'll get back home this time!
It’s awesome that you can work and be on the road. It sounds like you have done some amazing works. Your new hobby is well deserved. My husband makes furniture, cabinets, and other things. Sometimes you just need a break. I know it’s something he misses, when we are on the road.
Safe travels.