Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Finally settled on a generator

Well, it took almost 2 years of research, studying, and debating about which generator would be best for our needs. Yesterday I picked them up... yes ... "them". Our original plan was to get only 1, but the dealer had the second one and offered it to us. We decided to go ahead and take the second one so we can run 50 amps and both air conditioners and more if we want.

We settled on the Cummings Onan P4500i.

I ran one by itself to see how it would do. It ran the 15,000 air conditioner and microwave OK. But when I flipped on the second air conditioner, it cut off power like it was suppose to, but did not shut down the generator like it was suppose to.

Then I hooked both up together and turned on everything: 2 air conditioners, 2 televisions, microwave and electric on the water heater. I let them run for a good hour in the driveway and they did just fine.

Granted, they about about 100 pounds each and we don't boomdock, but we are prepared for power outages when home, or if the desire to go boomdocking ever hits us. With the generators, we are more prone to try our hand at boomdocking now. Being able to function completely off-grid does open some new possibilities now.

Yes, they are a bit heavy. My next purchase will be a set of ramps so I can wheel them into the bed of the pick-up truck.

And oh, I an old set of tire covers from my fifth wheel. If I use both covers together, they make a perfect cover for one of the generators. With covers for 4 tires, I'm all set. And yes, I do have a brand new set of covers for the tires I've never used yet.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Mike&Angie

M.O.C. #26137
Good choice i am trying to convince my Dad to go this route but he only needs one with a 30a and one a/c. I have a Honda 6500IS with remote control that i used for my Carriage Cameo and that thing is a beast. It has performed flawless but he loves the remote control. I think he may go with the Westinghouse so he can run propane.

Nice set up
Mike&Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Fantastic setup.

Here is my solution for a generator cover. Not my idea.... I stole it from somebody else. The tub is long enough to cover the control panel end with stuff plugged in and with the cutout on the exhaust side it runs in the rain with no problems.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote