Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Norovirus in Alaska (Seward)

Last Friday, a cruise ship docked in Seward suspected of carrying the norovirus. There is an article in today's Anchorage Daily News about it at www.adn.com. It also docked in other ports around southeastern Alaska.

For all y'all traveling, this is a flashing reminder to be sure you wash your hands a lot. I haven't heard of any locals getting sick, but according to the article, 120 passengers were sick and 12 of the crew members. In other words, 8.5% of the ship was sick and the cruise line is required to report any sickness involving 3%.

Edit: yes, the ship allowed the passengers to come into town.

Be careful out there and use that Purell.

Tammy

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Tammy,

We cruise at least twice a year and hate the dreaded norovirus. Do you know what cruise line and ship had it? Last year we were on a back to back cruise out of Galveston. The second week we were in our cabin almost the entire 7 days as we had some type of upper respiratory virus. We don't hold on to hand rails, and wash our hands constantly. It is easy to pick up what ever on a cruise ship as well as a hospital, nursing home, school or even your church. What would be great is that people that are sick keep to their homes, cabins, apartments, etc. Going out in public just infects everyone. Yep, you need to go to work, but then your fellow workers get what you have and pass it on to someone else.

We will be on an Alaska cruise next May. I would love to pick your brain on what to do in each port.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Colleen, the cruise was Holland America cruise ship. I agree with you about sick people staying home. Bernie is a transplant patient (15 years out) and people go out in public sick and can infect him. He takes medicine every day to kill his immune system. It makes me so angry when a sick person has so little respect for the rest of us that they go out and spread their nasty germs.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Tammy, thanks so much for the heads up. Wash, wash, wash! We're having too much fun to come down with something.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We just returned from an Alaskan cruise on Holland America Line - the Amsterdam. Having heard so much about the norovirus on cruise ships, we were careful to use the antibacterial liquid dispensers in the eating areas, washed frequently and avoided unnecessary contact with bannisters and other "public" surfaces. Happy to say the cruise was wonderful - illness free - and I'm ready for the next one! I realize we barely scratched the surface where Alaska is concerned, but what we did see was spectacular!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote