Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2004, 03:53 PM   #1
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Circuit Breakers Popping

OK, I'm up and now fulltiming in my 2002 3575RL...

I really enjoy the trailer and the full size computer desk...

I am facing a certain problem, especially as it starts to get cold...

I have a ceramic Lasko electric heater inside keeping me toasty...but with my TV and computer on, it keeps popping my circuit breaker. I also have a mini version of the Lasko heater in my basement (overkill, I'm sure, but I want to be sure I don't have any frozen lines as winter draws near)...

I suspect they are on the same circuit, or at least the inside one is on the same circuit as my TV, etc., because they all go off when the circuit breaker pops...it is one or the other of the middle two 15 amp CBs that pop...

Allow me to clarify: originally, I had the space heater plugged into the outlet on the back side of the kitchen counter, next to my couch slide. The left middle CB was popping all the time, so I moved the heater to the front of the trailer, next to the table, under the thermostat. Still popped. So I moved it to the back of the trailer, behind the left chair. That is where it is now and I'm growing weary of having to reset the right middle CB every so often.

Any ideas? I'm about ready to stretch an extension cord out to the 30 amp outlet where I get my main power outside...

Sure hope someone has a good idea or a fix!!

Thanks,

Chip

PS: I have pics of upgrades...I'll soon get them on and give some feedback of my setup, etc., when I get some time...

Montana_2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Obviously you have a circuit overload. I don't know "sparky" very well, but one might consider adding another line with its own breaker or fuse so as not to compete with other appliances.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
Try plugging the heater into a GFI receptacle. That should get it off the same circuit as the TV and Computer.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:06 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It might not get it off that circuit, though. In our '03 3295RK, the GFCI circuit includes the bathroom outlets, the outlet on the bedroom side of the wall by the sink (but not the one by the front closet), the patio outlet, the fridge, the TV, the outlets above the tv we use for vcr/dvd, the outlets in the kitchen slide, along the back wall by the kitchen, the peninsula outlets and the computer desk outlets. Lots of things on that one circuit. So we also have problems with popping breakers. We run electric heaters upstairs and downstairs. It's extremely exasperating. And we supposedly have 50amp service. In reality it's 20 amps for the second AC prep (have the prep, not the 2nd AC) and 30 amps for everything else. I understand the late 2003 (the flat floor version) and later models have a better setup for electrical power.

We ended up chopping that breaker, seeing what no longer worked and checked outlets with a VOM to figure this out on ours.

Chip, if you're electrically skilled you can probably run or change some of the circuits. Some folks in this forum have done that. I just end up cussing at it.

We did discover most of the time it won't trip until Vicki has programmed a bunch of record programs into the VCR. (not really, it just seems that way!) That way she gets to enter them all again.

By the way, unless you have something in the basement you want to keep from freezing, you don't really need a heater in there. I just covered exposed water lines with those foam insulation tubes intended for copper water lines and filled every exposed opening between basement and coach with that expanding spray foam insulation in a can. We have spent a lot of time in temperatures down to 14 degrees and not had a problem in the basement with water lines.

Do be sure to insulate the low point drains, though. They're the first to freeze. If they freeze up into the belly they can close off the water lines. So keep a hair dryer and extension cord handy, along with something dry to lay on.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Thanks all, sounds like it is something I'm going to have to live with...

Steve, I'm not at all good with wiring...and I have a degree in Electronics! What did I learn??!

Oh well...

It also sounds like we did alot of the same preps, Steve...I too sprayed the "great Stuff" foam in the can into alot of spaces...I even found a big spot where my water pump is by my external shower...the lines going out thru that panel are wide open to the outside...filled that in nicely but made sure I could still get the hose in and out...

Also did the basement...I need to spend some time covering the drain low points, but one thing I did was to wrap heat tape and foam pipe insulation around the entire belly region plumbing...that was a JOB! My arms look like I went a few rounds with a wolverine (I'd have said cat, but I'm from MI and hence, a Wolverine fan! ).

So, if the low points do freeze, I hope the heat tape will keep the rest of the lines from freezing...

Which leads me to a few more questions:

When I wrapped the heat tape up in the foam insulation tubing, I stuffed the heat tape thermostats in there too, not thinking. Of course, I realized this after I buttoned up the belly. Now I'm worried they won't work properly because they will be too warm? Does anyone have much experience with this? Also, the heat tape instructions said not to wrap the pipes with foam tube insulators because it could be dangerous...of course, like a true male, I didn't read them until I was completely finished (well, not until I was wrapping the outside fresh water hoses...). From all I've read and also from talking to my neighbors, they've always done it that way and never had a problem.

I worry while I'm at work all day whether the trailer will still be there when I get home...should I be worried? The documentation made it sound like the tape doesn't get much warmer than body temperature, so how could it be that dangerous??

Advice is again welcome!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I think it is probably just as well you insulated the thermostats, that way, they will "feel" the same temperature as the pipes do. If they were outside, they would always be cold and keep the heat on all the time, possibly leading to over heating of the pipes.

I had given some thought to this situation as well, but I thought that if it ever became necessary, I would just open the belly enough to push in a small electric heater (the kind they sell to pre-heat car interiors) and plug it in as needed. Not as sophisticated, but a lot easier. Congratulations on you perseverance with the Wolverines!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Chip,

We now have a '04 3575, but had a similar problem with our previous 5W. I'm not very handy electrically either, but anyone can do this. I ran in a heavy duty extension cord through the storage area, ran the cord outside through a water filler door, the drawer type, which I installed upside down to keep any rain out. I then installed a standard outlet on the wall next to the refridgerator (or where you need it) which was wired to the extension cord. We used it where ever there was a spare 20 amp plug on the power box. Never felt that it was a hazard and it sure was handy when the power was weak (like Mexico).

Also you could consider using a catalytic heater. We have enjoyed ours since it is quiet and efficient. Have had problems with the catalytic pad dying in a short time and replacement is expensive. This time we found a note with the heater that pinpointed our problem--using Mexican liquid gas. It is dirty and contains oil which kills the pad in a hurry.

Hope this helps,

MoBillTuxRexandPrincess
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:32 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
3575Owner,
I agree with Stiles Watson. It sounds as if you may have an overloaded circuit.

There was a thread on here not too long ago where a similar thing was happening. Turned out to be a loose wire on one of the receptacles. Of course it was the last one checked!

mobilrvn,
Thanks for the info re: the catalytic heater. We are thinking of getting one. We're also thinking of a short trip into northern MX this coming Feb. Just a short trip down to San Felipe or Puerto Penasco. Where do you go in MX? Any tips?

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 02:56 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I didn't insulate the thermostat on ours. If I recall, the instructions said to leave them open to outside air. I don't have the instructions anymore so can't doublecheck that. I'd be concerned whether the thermostats will trigger the heat tape to heat the hose in time to stop any freezing.

I also wrapped our hose with the foam insulation over the heat tape, then duct tape over that. I don't recall any warning in the instructions but I might have missed it. Or forgot. It's been over a year since I wrapped ours. I do recall the instructions say to not apply the heat tape to flexible pipe/hose but that's what we all do anyhow. It also says to not spiral the tape around the pipe but to run it parallel. I did mine parallel. I don't know why it would matter but apparently it does.

I think if I were you I'd uncover those thermostats. It might not hurt anything the way you have it but I don't think I'd risk it. Just my opinion. And maybe a little paranoia about freezing pipes.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #10
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Well, I'm jus now healing up from that adventure (see above )...

I think I will see what happens first, Steve and if things look to be a problem with pipes, I will open it back up and do as you suggested.

Thanks for the input, all...you are all extremely helpful adn I do appreciate it as a Montana novice!

Chip
Old 11-13-2004, 04:12 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Chip, when enough cold weather has passed that you're confident it's ok with the thermostats insulated (or not) would you post back? I'm going to have to replace my hose next year (small drip I can't get rid of at the connection) so will have to reapply the heat tape. I'm sure others would like to know, too.

Thanks and good luck. If access were that difficult I'd do the same as you, wait and see.