Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #21
ShaneGreen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22218
When you first park and pull the pins on the front jack, don't lower the jacks all the way to the ground. Each truck and fiver combination is different, but mine needs about an inch and a quarter clearance. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to describe this, but...

The system levels front to rear first. It decides which end is lowest and grounds those jacks and then lifts that end. If you pull the pin and lower the pads all the way to the ground before using the jacks then that is setting the current height as the minimum the front end can go.

This is fine if the front is the lowest as most of the "lifting" will be done by the front. As the front raises an inch, the rig pivots on the axles and the rear lowers an inch. Once the front and rear are fairly level it will ground the rear jacks and do it's fine tuning. The tires should be on the ground.

However, if the back is lowest then the rear jacks are trying to lift the rig. Let's say you're off by 3 inches. Since the front can't be lowered, the rear has to be lifted the full 3 inches, possibly picking the tires up off the ground. If you had kept the pads an inch above the ground before extending the cylinders and unhooking, now the system can lower the front an inch, allowing it to pivot around the axles, and the rear only needs to raise 2 inches.

This is way over-simplifying, and 6-point systems further complicate things, but it's the basic theory. If your tires are off the ground, start with your front pads an inch off the ground before manually unhooking and see what happens.

ShaneGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #22
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I have occasionally noticed wheels off the ground and never thought it was a problem. I have read the manual for my Lippert 6 point hydraulic leveling many times and have never seen anything printed that said it was a problem. I have never owned a motor home but I have heard that for motor homes this is not recommended, but I don't know why, and this might be someone "extending" this motor home issue to 5th wheels.

And yes, I have changed tires using the hydraulic lifter instead of a jack, and I used safety stands under the axles.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #23
samroll
Established Member

M.O.C. #22485
On my Montana when I unhook and hit the auto level it ALWYS drops the front jacks very low and then they will extend a little. After that happens it then grounds the other 4 and proceeds to level. It does it in this order every time. Sometimes, depending on site, it ends up with tires on one side or both sides off the ground. Also, I have used my system to change tires too. I a, sure the reason for Lippert not recommending it is all about liability.

2012 Montana 3582RL
2013 Ford F350SD King Ranch Dually
samroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #24
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
ShaneGreen talks about pulling pins for the front jacks. Not sure what kind of leveling system he has. The typical modern hydraulic system consists only of hydraulic rams to do the lifting. No pins to pull or extensions to lower.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #25
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
ShaneGreen talks about pulling pins for the front jacks. Not sure what kind of leveling system he has. The typical modern hydraulic system consists only of hydraulic rams to do the lifting. No pins to pull or extensions to lower.
Lippert Ground Control Electric Levelers have pins on the front legs.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #26
ShaneGreen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22218
Yes, the electric levelers have a more limited reach, so they have pinned front legs. For some reason I had in my head that the original poster had electric levelers. The same is true though for hydraulics if you stack your blocks to high under the front jacks.
ShaneGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #27
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneGreen View Post
Yes, the electric levelers have a more limited reach, so they have pinned front legs. For some reason I had in my head that the original poster had electric levelers. The same is true though for hydraulics if you stack your blocks to high under the front jacks.
That's the reason we should all have a signature block. Knowing what model the OP has would indicate what levelers he has. On this thread alone there are 7 members without signature.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #28
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Suggestion: Level your RV manually. Then shut the system off and run the "set level" procedure.

It may be the Level up system has lost the level setting.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #29
2019 montana
Established Member

M.O.C. #23525
2019 montana, at camp grounds the auto level had no problem. I parked it in front of my house witch has a crowned street (1930s). Did the auto level and the tires came off the ground, on the low side.
2019 montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #30
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
If the "low" side of a site is considerably lower than the other, then the wheels will be raised off of the ground. The travel of the legs has only so much length.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #31
Waricha
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20684
No problem with tires off the ground. I've even used it to lift the trailer to change a tire.
Waricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #32
Jeff Hill
Established Member

M.O.C. #23504
Leveler Wheels off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz54 View Post
I notice when I unhooked my truck from our 5'er and do the auto-level thing it is leveling the Rv with the wheels off the ground for some reason?? It doesn't seem like my driveway is that slanted?? The guy we bought the rig from last week told us that the power legs should not be used to hold the RV off the ground without the tires touching the ground--he said it was too much weight for the auto legs to hold?? Anyone know why it wants to level it with the wheels off the ground??

Depending on the model of the auto leveling system, you might try resetting (calibrate) system to ZERO. Your manual will provide instructions. If no manual you can Google the manual.
Jeff Hill is offline   Reply With Quote