Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
Jingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #23321
New RV hitch adjustment

I was postiñg this picture to get some opinions on hitch adjustment. I would like to insure that I get the height right. I am thinking about raising the pin box on the RV up one set of holes. I would also raise the hitch up but not quite as much. I am considering installing air bags to improve the ride and get my headlights out of the trees. Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190210_115155544_HDR.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	3106  

Jingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
You might want to share truck and Monty information.
how much space between top of truck rail and Monty?
How much sag do you have?
What is your measured height?

Oh and welcome
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
Most people recommend a minimum of six inches from bed rails to RV, you look to be okay from the photo. If you raise the pin box you will reduce this clearance, raising the hitch would increase the clearance. So if you adjust both you will finish up close to your starting point. Will depend on hole spacings and not all hitches are adjustable. Hope you have a sliding hitch!
Your RV appears to be riding high at the front, but this maybe distortion in the photo. Nothing you can do about this, it is a consequence of the trucks getting taller.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
Jingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #23321
This is a 3121RL and a GMC 2500 hd, both 2019. Suspension set down about 3inches from unloaded height. I have 9 inches of clearance between the top of the bed rails and the bottom of the fifth wheel.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
Jingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #23321
Oh and we have a B and W sliding hitch.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #6
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Beautiful rig Jingle. With 9" of clearance I would more than likely drop the
hitch one set of holes. Should help get your trailer more level. As for the headlights in the air and suspension squat; Air bags or helper spring of some type. I would probably opt for air bags.

Again, simply beautiful rig and congrats!
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Jingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #23321
Thanks
Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My 2006 2500 chevy used to drop about 2 or 2 1/2 inches when hitched so I got airbags. My new one is a 2012 and it only dropped about 1/2 to 1 inch. so I am surprised yours drops 3 inches. Tho I am guessing you new rig weighs considerably more than mine.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #9
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I was posting this picture to get some opinions on hitch adjustment. I would like to insure that I get the height right. I am thinking about raising the pin box on the RV up one set of holes. I would also raise the hitch up but not quite as much. I am considering installing air bags to improve the ride and get my headlights out of the trees. Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I have the same issue with 9"+ clearance and it sits nose high about 2-3". The B&W at its lowest setting is still higher than most hitches. If you raise the pin box, that will still give you 6.5" (2.5" bolt hole spacing). My truck drops about 3", but my 3790RD has a pin weight of 3500# and still sits high in front. The truck only has about 1" rear sag (from level) hooked up.

I'd start with the pinbox and see how it rides.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #10
MikeRP
Established Member

M.O.C. #22500
Hey Jingle what is your measurement ground to top of tailgate in the rear? Just trying to compare this to my Ram. I kind of feel like these rigs have the appearance of being nose high and they are not too far off level. When you are towing like this, does it feel really nose high in the front?

Also have you measured the fifth wheel height (max)? Whats the weight on the truck with your setup?

Also I have a quote coming on the Airlift 5000 Ultimate installed tomorrow. But not completely sure I need it yet.

Just checking.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On our old rig and truck, we raised the pin box and lowered the head on my hitch just a little.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:48 AM   #12
The Landrys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21009
Send a message via AIM to The Landrys Send a message via MSN to The Landrys Send a message via Yahoo to The Landrys
We have a Ram 2500 with factory air suspension and a Montana 3121RL. Our truck drops 1/4" after hook up. Our trailer was riding a bit high so I raised the pin box.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #13
Jingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #23321
I have not measured my tailgate height. The 5th wheel does not look level yet. It is still about 2 inches high at the nose. I am going to raise my pin box and see how that looks. Right now I have 9 inches between the bedrails of the truck and the bottom of the 5th wheel. I'll see how that looks. Once I get the 5th wheel leveled I am going to evaluate the need for airbags. The truck feels nose high. I don't pull much at night but don't want to blind on coming traffic. From what I'm reading air bags may improve the quality of the ride both loaded and unloaded. I would be interested to know if others feel airbags are worth it. I will be taking measurements and sharing what I learned. This is very much trial and error! I would appreciate any input. This site has already saved me much time and frustration!
Old 02-23-2019, 07:41 AM   #14
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
The truck needs to be level or it will wear out your tires. Also your truck will not be very stable in heavy winds. To light on the front of the truck.

I put air bags on my truck and couldn't be happier. If you travel with yours like I do you need the onboard composer. After visiting 25 cities on my first trip and having to aair down and up every 3 days it got ols LOL.

I have the B&W and I have mine in the lowest hole and one back from the front. Go to a parking lot with a 4' level and that will probably be as cloase as you can get to measure level. Go from there.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
The truck needs to be level or it will wear out your tires. Also your truck will not be very stable in heavy winds. To light on the front of the truck.
What? These series of statements are simply not true. We're talking fifth wheels here with the pin weight over and likely a couple inches ahead of the rear axle. The weight on the front axle does not get lighter, it actually increases a small bit. How does the truck being level or sagging effect lateral stability and tire wear? Even if you add air bags, the tire wear or load to the front and rear truck axles don't change, just the ride height and stiffness. Air bags may help in the lateral stability in winds similar to a rear sway bar.

If you meant to say trailer leveling on the tire wear on the tandem axle set, then I agree.
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #16
Normmendy56

M.O.C. #23515
Where do you/I measure sag, wheelwell ? Where exactly ?
Normmendy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #17
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
What? These series of statements are simply not true. We're talking fifth wheels here with the pin weight over and likely a couple inches ahead of the rear axle. The weight on the front axle does not get lighter, it actually increases a small bit. How does the truck being level or sagging effect lateral stability and tire wear? Even if you add air bags, the tire wear or load to the front and rear truck axles don't change, just the ride height and stiffness. Air bags may help in the lateral stability in winds similar to a rear sway bar.

If you meant to say trailer leveling on the tire wear on the tandem axle set, then I agree.
Then I guess there is no reason to level anything never mind.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #18
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
Then I guess there is no reason to level anything never mind.
Other than headlight aim, not really on the tow vehicle or personally preference for a leveled look. It's simple engineering statics. Sorry if I offended you.
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote