Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Hot Water Heater Issue

Need some feedback here. Our new rig (2018 3790) is having a problem. Since we picked up the rig new, I have been using both gas and electric on the heater. Did this on our 3900 for 4 years with out any problems. This afternoon, I was hearing a sound from the water heater, which stopped when I turned off the electric. I left it off for awhile, then noticed that the water was getting cooler. The gas side should have been keeping the water hot. Anyway, now I can see that the gas side isn't working, and from looking at the burner tube, I'm not sure it has ever been working. I turned off the gas swich, then turned it back on. The gas valve keeps opening, as it should, but the igniter isn't igniting. The DSI FLT light isn't coming on. I can't say that I have ever heard the water heater running on gas, but the unit sits on the ODS, opposed to my old rig which was on the DS, and you could hear it when you went out the door. The stove and furnace are working fine. I've got plenty of propane. Your thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Take the tube out and blow it out with air. Sometimes spiders build nests/webs in them interfering with the gas flow.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Just a quick update. While the valve is opening and closing during start up, the igniter is doing nothing. I'm thinking I may buy a new igniter ($14) and put it in. I can feel the current in the wire getting to the igniter, but nothing after that. Hard to believe a new igniter would be bad, but..
Old 11-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I would try an alignment on the spark rod first. Just bend it to reduce air gap. Also check that you have 12vdc on the gas valve and that it opens so that propane is there to light.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Manual says spark gap should be 1/8".
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
I always used my electric and one day decided to try the propane. Turned off the electric and started the propane and nothing. Did the same thing several more times on different days with the same result. When I got home from the seasonal site I mentioned this to my son. He tried the gas and it fired off the first time. We figured out that after using the electric and then switching to gas the temperature was high enough in the tank that the thermostat prevented the gas side from igniting. No problem since then.
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
I had a problem running on propane disconnected the plug strip and sprayed with contact cleaner. Worked perfectly for the next 3 years. Was still working when we sold the old rig last month.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Could the gas orifice be plugged? Had that happen on a previous rig. When I took apart I found pipe dope was plugging it up
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:49 AM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
The igniter is a very simple piece of hardware and seldom goes bad unless the porcelain insulation cracks. What CAN go bad is the little electronic board that makes the spark itself. This isn't all that expensive, but can be a real PITA to replace because of where it's located. Your Monty is brand new so this should be covered by warranty.