Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
OK Dodge lovers, please note that I waited for all the proper answers to be given to the question of Dodge maintenance before jumping in. With that said......

I thought proper maintenance on a Dodge was to drive it a year, throw it away and buy another one.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #22
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.
I thought proper maintenance on a Dodge was to drive it a year, throw it away and buy another one.

I am sorry, but I think you are confused with the proper maintenance for a CHEVY!!!
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
rames14 here is what my dodge mechanic uses to do my 09 3500.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...lterwrench.jpg

i hope this helps i dont think the filters have changed that much in a few years.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, nice tool for the job. I am curious what the new ones will be like. It sounds as if December 10th you can order new 2013 Dodge's. anxious to get the real scoop.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, have you ordered that new Ram yet? Turned 94k on ours awhile back and the darned thing still won't give me a good excuse to trade it for one of those gorgeous new Rams. It just keeps on towing and driving like new, never using any oil, never leaking any fluids. That's one thing you might have to factor in if you purchase a Ram, and that's finding a new excuse to trade it for a new one every few years. The darned things just don't seen to wear out. I hope I didn't just jinx mine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #26
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
It doesn't get any easier to change fuel or oil filters than on a CTD. Powerstrokes and duramax's are not as user friendly when it comes to changing these filters. Folks I know running CTD do their own changes because of the easy access. As for 2013, the engine configuration remains the same, I can't believe that either filter access would change, maybe an additional fuel filter.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #27
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
If you have an 07.5 to I believe an 08 you need to do an upgrade on the fuel filter. Those years for some unknown reason some engineer thought if would be better to make it a lot more difficult to change if you had to change the housing and the filter????? He didn't understand the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. But you can upgrade to a FS2 filter which is like the old style where you unscrew the top and just replace the element. Sure makes changing the fuel filter a whole lot easier....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #28
mobilcastle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11759
Chevy's are easy if you install the after market flap for the wheel well-then you don't have to remove the wheel well.
mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #29
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Ron, have you ordered that new Ram yet? Turned 94k on ours awhile back and the darned thing still won't give me a good excuse to trade it for one of those gorgeous new Rams. It just keeps on towing and driving like new, never using any oil, never leaking any fluids. That's one thing you might have to factor in if you purchase a Ram, and that's finding a new excuse to trade it for a new one every few years. The darned things just don't seen to wear out. I hope I didn't just jinx mine.
X-2. I just finished putting 3700 miles(solo)in 12 days on my 9 year old Dodge on a round trip to Montana for Christmas. Still love it. Can not find a real reason to trade up.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #30
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
About those skinny arms and hands comments for accessing tight spots. I am the delegate in that department when it comes to working with my big BILs and brothers! HOWEVER, it does NOT prevent the scrapes and cuts as I argue against helping them out means just because my hands fit it doesn't do any good if there is NO room for movement and tools. So I now tell them to use their hands and arms for fitment and if theirs don't fit, mine won't either.

So sorry Steve (Riegel), but even I take things apart to provide plenty of room. It beats washing your hands and arms afterwards and then discovering the pain of all the new nicks and cuts as you try to scrape things clean. No matter how much we keep our vehicles and engines clean, it seems dirt and grime will collect exactly where you want to perform maintenance.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #31
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I never got why people take the fender skirt off for changing the Duramax filter ,I got big hands and have no problem doing it in 15 min.......by the way THATS FREAKING FUNNY Tom!never heard that one ...oh wait yeah I have but instead of Dodge it was the Ford 6.0, Sorry Art-n-Marge...... could not help myself
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #32
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

I never got why people take the fender skirt off for changing the Duramax filter ,I got big hands and have no problem doing it in 15 min.......by the way THATS FREAKING FUNNY Tom!never heard that one ...oh wait yeah I have but instead of Dodge it was the Ford 6.0, Sorry Art-n-Marge...... could not help myself
The Duramax filter became difficult to change when the body style changed in mid 2007. You won't change one of those in 15 minutes!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #33
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Bummer! since you have to change them on a regular basis you would think they would find a way to keep it easy on ALL the Diesels.....oh wait that makes too much sense
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #34
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Bummer! since you have to change them on a regular basis you would think they would find a way to keep it easy on ALL the Diesels.....oh wait that makes too much sense
Yup. I have no idea why they made the change, but a friend of mine was complaining about it (before I knew about the change) and I couldn't figure out what he was talking about, since my 06 can also be changed in 15 minutes. Then I looked at his and understood his pain. I've turned a lot of wrenches in my earlier life and have always maintained that every engineer should be made to work on what he/she designs. There sure have been some boneheaded designs over the years!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #35
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455

Now that's cold! We don't throw them away, we trade them in. Dodges, after all, have resale value. Sorry couldn't help myself
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

About those skinny arms and hands comments for accessing tight spots. I am the delegate in that department when it comes to working with my big BILs and brothers! HOWEVER, it does NOT prevent the scrapes and cuts as I argue against helping them out means just because my hands fit it doesn't do any good if there is NO room for movement and tools. So I now tell them to use their hands and arms for fitment and if theirs don't fit, mine won't either.

So sorry Steve (Riegel), but even I take things apart to provide plenty of room. It beats washing your hands and arms afterwards and then discovering the pain of all the new nicks and cuts as you try to scrape things clean. No matter how much we keep our vehicles and engines clean, it seems dirt and grime will collect exactly where you want to perform maintenance.
I need to go back and see what I said that elicited this response, Art! I take mine to the dealer because it requires removing the wheel well pan. If it were on top of the engine like the newer ones, then I'd do it myself. You're right about grime always being where you will get it on you, though. By the way, it's Reigle, not Riegel.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #37
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mobilcastle

Chevy's are easy if you install the after market flap for the wheel well-then you don't have to remove the wheel well.
Never heard of that aftermarket flap but I like that idea. I wonder if they make that for the 2007.5 Dodge.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #38
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Don't worry Dick Tom is rite you have to throw a Dodge away because you sure can't wear one out. Now let the rock chunkin begin HeHeHe.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #39
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I learned a long time ago, insulting a man's truck is akin to insulting his wife or girlfriend. So, that being said, I have jumped ship for a pretty face - the new Dodge has so much space and eye candy in the cab that I couldn't resist. No one argues about the Cummins, and I do hope they leave the fuel filter up top. Now, they have added the Aisin transmission. Thanks for the input. By the way, the fuel filter was much more difficult on my '08 than on my '04 Silverado.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #40
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
I had a 2002 Dodge extended cab dual rear wheel 8ft box 4x4 cummins i thought it was easy to change the filters good pulling truck too.
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote