Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Goodyear Tires: My letter to Mark Krol

Mark Krol was helpful when we had mixed signals on the 80#/110# question on the older aluminum spoked wheel weight ratings, he is a general manager with Keyststone.
(Thanks Emmel!)
Hi Mark,
I am contacting you for the MOC members that are having problems with the Goodyear G-14 tires; the LT235/85R-16.
You were very helpful clearing up the 80# versus 110# question on the older aluminum wheels.
Many of us are having a weird wear pattern on all 4 trailer tires, a concave wear at the outside of every tire, inboard and outboard alike.
I have contacted Goodyear and seem to get one cubicle occupant after another who seem to be helpful, but have no answers to our problem.
Goodyear did settle my problem to my satisfaction, but we still don't know why it is happening, and many other folks need answers.
I would like to hear what you think on this matter of the tire wear.
My pressures are always 'spot on' I weigh the rig every time I start my travel, use the tire chart to insure I have the proper pressure for the weight on that trip. The tires are not maxed out with weight. I had two different Goodyear tire store managers look at the tires, also one of our members, LonnieB checked the tires as well.
I am attaching a link showing the wear, the many members that share the problem with the same tire, mirror the tire wear I am having.
I will post a copy of this on the Montana Owners Forum so we will all be 'in the loop'
Thanks Mark.

Link to the pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

Jim
Jim Osbern
hvac.repairs@yahoo.com

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Is the inside wear on one axel and the outside wear on the other axel?
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I am just thinking out loud but here goes....

It looks like an underflation wear but with that concaveness on the edges maybe something different especially if the inflation table is applied to the actual weight. That is a specific and unusual pattern. I think I would be inclined to inflate the tires to the max 110 and then monitor wear in that case. Then if it starts wearing in the center, then pick something in between. This is wierd and would drive me nuts.

What would LonnieB's take on this wear be; how to solve it; what to do or just his opinion?

On edit: I just found the other lengthy topic where Ozz discusses this and read LonnieB's comments too. After reading all that, I think it's still wierd, but there's definitely something wrong.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
No, it is equal for the most part on each tire. Wear inside and wear outside, a concave wear pattern, see the pictures.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
How close to max tire capacity are the weights you are running?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

How close to max tire capacity are the weights you are running?
I don't recall, but I do know it was under the 100# column, so it is well below the max tire weight
(I have it written down, it's in the truck.)
Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Really hard to figure this one out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
DTIEDEMAN
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12686
Just found the same wear on my tires. The weight per tire was between 2400 pounds and 3100 pounds. The tire pressure is 95 pounds all around. The unit is a 2013 model 3100 and has about 2500 miles on it, the last 500 with the MorRyde IS system.
DTIEDEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ozz if one axial is wearing on the inside and the other is wearing on the outside. I have a theory. Maybe I'm full of the stuff the cat covered up but could there be a slight difference in the spacing of the axles when you are pulling your camper. If this is wright the camper wonts to make a slight turn and you are forcing it to to go straight. If they are straight when setting one might still give a little on one side when you are moving. How would you find out? Ain't got a clue.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Ozz if one axial is wearing on the inside and the other is wearing on the outside. I have a theory. Maybe I'm full of the stuff the cat covered up but could there be a slight difference in the spacing of the axles when you are pulling your camper. If this is wright the camper wonts to make a slight turn and you are forcing it to to go straight. If they are straight when setting one might still give a little on one side when you are moving. How would you find out? Ain't got a clue.
Lynwood
You should look at the pictures he posted. Each tire is wearing on the inside and outside.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ozz, is that acutally his name? Mark Krol is the manager of Montana sales and Mark Krohl is the name for Tredit?
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That is his name, Krol I mis-spoke... mis-wrote... heck whatever, he is the district sales manager for Keystone. He did get the story straight on the 80# wheels and tires. I slept since then, so I may be all screwed up.. we will see if he can help.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I went to the Goodyear store today. The mangier is very familiar with these tires. He used to install up many, until about a year ago, for the Nascar teams. I told him of your problem. I was mistaken at first. I thought they were wearing on both sides. Without hesitation he said you had a pressure problem. He said to increase the pressure to 110 pounds and watch for center wear and if you got it to reduce the pressure 5 pounds and check again. He said this is the only thing it could be.
Lynwood
Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

I went to the Goodyear store today. The mangier is very familiar with these tires. He used to install up many, until about a year ago, for the Nascar teams. I told him of your problem. I was mistaken at first. I thought they were wearing on both sides. Without hesitation he said you had a pressure problem. He said to increase the pressure to 110 pounds and watch for center wear and if you got it to reduce the pressure 5 pounds and check again. He said this is the only thing it could be.
Lynwood
You were correct the first time.
The tires are wearing on both sides, all 4 tires.
The tire chart states for 3230# to 3550#, 100# tire pressure.
I am in that slot, I weighed at the Cat scales at the first of the trip out here.
I filled the tires last year to 110#, for the tires first 3200 or so miles. This year, the tires were filled to 100# as the tire pressure dictates, BUT when I was on the road for 20 minutes they went to 106 until I got to Amilillo Texas. Then they went to 110 cold.
Tire pressure is not the issue.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ozz I will go back and talk to him again and see what he has to say.I did ask if it was a design problem. No. If I find anything I will pass it along.
Lynwood
Old 10-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Linwood, appreciate it.
Problem is that any company will not admit to a design problem with their product in todays litigious atmosphere.
My money is on a bad design, maybe the rubber compound used. I wish I would have gone to another tire, it will just keep happening..
Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ozz the guy that I'm talking to is a store manager. He puts customers before company which in turn keeps you coming back to buy tires. Come to think of it what a novel idea. I will ask him what you said and see what he says. If there is a problem he knows about he will tell me. I'm trying to help because there are a lot of us who have these tires and it would help every body. I don't need them on my "little" 9400 pound 2955. It came with 15 inch D rated tires. I replaced them with 16 inch E rated tires.
Lynwood