Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Onan built-in generator

Our new 2013 3100RL is generator ready. Now we just need to know what type of Onan would be the best and how to install. DH is an electrical engineer that is very handy with tools but he would like to get your input (and pictures of install) if you are willing to share. We are hoping to use our air conditioner, washer/dryer and any amenity us to keep us comfortable. What about auto-transfer switches?

Any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks!

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Can't help you with the Onan but wish you the very best with your new rig!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The 5.5K is the typical I believe (that's what's in SOB) and yes you will want a transfer switch (might be included with the gen prep package, but not sure). There are several other members who have the on board genny that will most likely be along shortly with more info.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
You may want to look near the generator compartment for the transfer switch. It came with my generator prep as part of the package.
If you have the prep package it is easy to install the generator. There is a Tee in the propane line and you only need to run wire from generator to the transfer switch and a flexable gas line to the connection on the generator and plug the start switch into the start cable.I think the prep is the plate is predrilled for the Onan 5500 kw generator. I installed a 3600 kw in mine which is 30 amps because I already had the generator from my previous unit.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
DH claims he didn't see a T for the propane (which tank do they usually put it on?), and he doesn't believe they installed a transfer switch but he will double check. He was thinking the 6500 model, which I beleve is what the dealer said he installs on these rigs.

Thanks for the great info. I am hoping I can convince him to put one in before we head to Quartzite so any benefits over using two Yamaha 2000i models would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

...so any benefits over using two Yamaha 2000i models would be appreciated.
If you are thinking you need the generator so you can run the A/C and washer/dryer in Quartzsite - then don't install an Onan. You should use a small Honda/Yamaha 2000 instead. There is no need for A/C in January in Q and the lack of water and sewer precludes using a washer/dryer (at least more than two loads worth).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Follow the black iron 1/2 inch pipe that runs under the front of the trailer and there should be a Tee in the line. My transfer switch is in the compartment under the hydraulic pump platform,
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Quote:

...so any benefits over using two Yamaha 2000i models would be appreciated.
If you are thinking you need the generator so you can run the A/C and washer/dryer in Quartzsite - then don't install an Onan. You should use a small Honda/Yamaha 2000 instead. There is no need for A/C in January in Q and the lack of water and sewer precludes using a washer/dryer (at least more than two loads worth).
X2 on this. We went for twin Honda's. We only have to haul them if we think we may use them (more now that we're full time than before) and they work for other jobs when we need them and the rig is plugged in.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks awaywego for the potential locations of stuff. Dh was very appreciative! Thanks to everyone for the info on Onan vs. our two yamahas. That is very helpful info too. Will save us a few dollars if we dont need them. We do dry camp/boondock so I was thinking that a built in would allow us to not have to remember to pack the gens and we won't have to remember the gas too.

However if it is a choice between the generator and washer/dryer unit 'wifey' wins!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I ordered the gen prep with my unit but did not want the Onan. I put a Generac 3600 rv gen in myself. Uses 1/2 of the fuel and weighs 1/2 of the Onan. Not to mention 1/2 price. It will run one major power user (ac, waterheater, micro) and everything else. They make an adapter harness to the Onan start panel installed harness. Mine had a T in the propane line under the bottle connected to the transfer regulator. I had to pipe it to the gen compartment and then continued to the door side of the trailer and terminated the propane with a quick connect and a shutoff valve for my gas grill.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you decide to give your Yamaha's a chance before you take the plunge on a built in you could build something like this: http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/.../Truck%20Rack/ It holds both Honda's, two small propane tanks for my gas grill, gas for the gens and room for my tripod jack. All built with scrap lumber. Best part is my BBQ grill and tools are in the spot where the built in generator should go.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks cab449 for giving us an alternate idea to the Onan. They are spendy and heavy. DH says he has looked everywhere for a T off of the propane line. No luck. Our lines come in at the top of the tank. We will look harder when we get home. Maybe 'generator ready' is different depending on the day your unit was built!

Thanks DqDick for the box idea but unfortunately we have the short box with a slide hitch so we would be really tight on space.

I know I want quick access to a generator because we just stopped for lunch and I couldn't use my microwave to reheat turkey dinner from last night. DH said he would have to drag generator out and go through all of the hassle of hooking it up and then when I was done unhooking and storing. I know...I know...we could have had turkey sandwiches for lunch but we wanted mashed potatoes! In perspective it is a 'want' not a 'need' but there you have it. DH says I can have the Onan as long as I am okay with camping in our driveway for the next 5 years! His priority need is the select comfort bed!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Ah yes, we have both, the on board Onan and the King Sleep Number, both very nice. We went for comfort and convienience this time around.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ours came with the Onan 7000 and it will run everything. It puts out 58 amps.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
We opted for the onboard Onan. Just like you said, you stop for lunch and want to use the microwave, just hit the switch and fire up the generator. I did not want to have to lug around and set up the generator(s) every time we needed to use it. Plus, ours can't walk away.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
If you decide on an Onan, I have a gas one with all hook up including transfer switch setting in my garage. It probably need the gas system rebuilt since it hasn't been run for a few years, but I will sell it cheap enough that you can put money into it and still be ahead. PM me if your interested.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We opted for two Hondas because we wanted the storage in the front compartment.

We built a rack on the back, complete with a short 30 amp to 50 amp female cord. When we want power, it is as simple as firing them up and plugging In.

Just another alternative...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
BTW...we are also planning a 2wk long trip(summer 2013) to Pennsylvania to visit family...that is truly why I want washer/dryer, 2nd AC, and built-in generator. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Let's face it...I just want to 'pimp' my ride!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

BTW...we are also planning a 2wk long trip(summer 2013) to Pennsylvania to visit family...that is truly why I want washer/dryer, 2nd AC, and built-in generator. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Let's face it...I just want to 'pimp' my ride!
A lot of people have all the "goodies" so they have their creature comforts. I wouldn't do it just for the one trip obviously, but if you plan on boondocking quite a bit, then a second air and generator are a definite plus, and the washer/dryer the cherry on top I definitely wanted the generator this time around. And a second AC in a 40' trailer is needed in the hotter climates. I haven't been able to justify the washer/dryer yet, but we are not fulltimers so it is not an issue yet. What the heck, it's only money...

Oh, and on the generator again - onboard vs. haul with you. I can't believe how quiet the Onan is when it is running with the commpartment door shut. I know the portables are quiet, but if you are not wanting to annoy your neighbors, the onboard is super quiet.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #20
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
With the onan you can get the remote start. We crank ours about 20 minutes before we stop and the inside is nice and cool when we stop and go in.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote