Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Noisy as H##L water pump.

Im not so sure about my water pump in our 2011 montana 5th wheeler. Its noisy as H##L is anybody elses this noisy? Ive even install a silencer kit on it {What a joke they are},surrounded it with foam rubber, bolted it down , unbolted it, let it hang loose and anything else I can think of. im sure its factory issue and far from a good one, but wow we hate it. It actually wakes us up at night if someone runs some water. We boondock alot so its used alot. What have you folks lived thru with yours? Any ideas helpful suggestions. Thanks again Cant sleep with water pump on TNT

mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
First, welcome from another electrician. As far as the water pump is concerned, they all make a racket. Some have succeeded in quieting it down a bit with rubber blocks. I'm going to try that with ours. It's just a noise we live with.
Try to make the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic Rallys and meet fellow MOC'ers.

On edit: One other thing that can help quiet it down is put a section of rubber hose between the pump and the water lines to act as a damper. The vibration won't transfer to the lines as much.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We got SOME relief by also blocking other water lines in the rig, especially those in the water/dryer connection area. Check any place you can reach the lines, if they wiggle, they may THUMP on the walls.

When we boondock or camp sans water, we actually turn the pump off at night. We have an accumulator tank which holds a bit (2 gallons?) of water and that will usually get us through with quick flushes at night. We assure the tank is full by letting it run till the pump shuts off, then turn the pump off, we do this JUST before turning in at night.

Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Seems to me the technology to make a quieter pump ought to be out there! SOMEone ought to be able to make a water pump that at least doesn't wake the neighbors!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, they are noisy as they come from the factory. This is one area the factory should improve on.

Right now there's a thread by Lasater about a $50 (I think) accumulator from Camping World that he installed that quieted his down a bunch. I've not heard it but Brad has been around MOC for a very long time and I trust his word. Here's the link to that thread.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=48089
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
By all means, get to the 2012 Northeast Rally!! 2012 Northeast Rally - Click here. You'll be glad you did!!

Good luck with the noisy water pump. They are all pretty much like that.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I like the accumulator idea but it seems this would lessen how often the pump runs, not the noise level of the pump.

My rig's pump is irritating too, but I just live with it. I like the idea of turning off the pump at night but I don't have an accumulator, yet, and would probably get one if we plan to boondock more often.

I am not 100% familiar with the noise suppression system for the water pump but I thought I read in this forum rubber bumpers might help to minimize conducting noise from the floor mounts. I wonder if wrapping the motor body might help with something other than "foam rubber". Of course don't cover any venting, but I recently found out about some thick flexible plastic ducting tape and wonder if this would help. It was thick and several layers wrapped around might help if this could be done.

I suppose Pat Barton is on the right track. While it might be a larger (extra insulation, etc.) and more expensive unit, there has got to be one out there. Then you've gotta measure where it's located in the rig to accommodate it and possibly allow for any air space it might need. Or just live with it like we do.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mrtgraz

Im not so sure about my water pump in our 2011 montana 5th wheeler. Its noisy as H##L is anybody elses this noisy? Ive even install a silencer kit on it {What a joke they are},surrounded it with foam rubber, bolted it down , unbolted it, let it hang loose and anything else I can think of. im sure its factory issue and far from a good one, but wow we hate it. It actually wakes us up at night if someone runs some water. We boondock alot so its used alot. What have you folks lived thru with yours? Any ideas helpful suggestions. Thanks again Cant sleep with water pump on TNT
I don't know which model you have out our 2007 3400RL has the water pump behind the water connection center. It is accessed by removing the panel that encloses that connection center, the panel between the connection area and the basement storage area. There are a few screws to remove and you have to do some twisting of that panel to get it out of there but it will come out. While you're in there, tighten all connections. You're going to look at how those lines are oriented and think it's a real rat's nest. And you'd be correct.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We used the foam rubber mounting and it helped but I think I will try the accumulator also. Anything to calm it down. There will probably always be noise but all improvements count. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've also read in this forum that inserting some flexible hose between the pump and the connecting lines makes a significant difference. Haven't tried it, though.

My understanding of how an accumulator works is like Art's, so I'm interested in hearing how the accumulator reduces the noise. I'm not questioning it, just not understanding.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Our accumulator tank does not really reduce the noise, but, it does increase the time between pump runs. And, that time between pump runs is blissfully quiet. While taking showers you won't really notice it much, but, if you are just flushing the toilet you can get several flushes without the pump coming on.

PLUS, because we can turn off the pump at night, we again have QUIET, blissful quiet all night long. No noisy rude awakenings.

It works for us, might not be something that you want to do, love how we all get to do it "our way". LOL
Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Carol, I am cheap, I bought 2 accumulators at Walmart for 88 cents each. Distilled Water that I use in the coffee pot, kept the empty jugs and fill them up before going to bed and placed behind the stool for those night time necessary water uses. Turn pump off and start with the ZZZZ's.
I have added rubber mounts under pump but it is still loud. I just never seemed to mind it much except at sleeping time.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
indy roadrunner,

I have a matching single gallon that has been used for same purposes.

When we were at "Q" last winter we had 2, we filled them with water that could have been wasted waiting for warm water for the showers. The weather was mild and we were very surprised to learn it only took around a gallon to get the water hot. We used that "wasted" gallon for flushing.

In years past if we left the stick in late December, January, etc, we fill several and they are the flushing water for the first couple of days till we get south enough to un-winterize.

Nothing like a good ole gallon jug!

And, nothing like quiet flushing at night. YAAAAAA!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
That's an excellent Idea! Thanks!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

indy roadrunner,

I have a matching single gallon that has been used for same purposes.

When we were at "Q" last winter we had 2, we filled them with water that could have been wasted waiting for warm water for the showers. The weather was mild and we were very surprised to learn it only took around a gallon to get the water hot. We used that "wasted" gallon for flushing.

In years past if we left the stick in late December, January, etc, we fill several and they are the flushing water for the first couple of days till we get south enough to un-winterize.

Nothing like a good ole gallon jug!

And, nothing like quiet flushing at night. YAAAAAA!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
mrtgraz , I suggest that you flow about a gallon of water from every faucet that you have on the rv using the water pump. The washing machine water faucets give me the most grief. The cold water side of the shower also gets air in the lines..also, don't forget the outside shower faucets in the docking station. Getting all the air out of the lines helps lower the noise level on my trailer. I hope that this helps. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think everyone knows hookup up a water hose introduces a lot of air into the lines that will cause that spitting at the faucet. One thing that seems to help considerably is to connect the hose to the park bib, then run water through the hose while holding the open end of the hose above the park bib. Then carefully route the hose and connect it to your Montana. There will still be a small amount of air unless you can get that hose connected without spilling any, but it's far less than normal and there is far less spitting at the faucets. At least that's what I've found although I don't use this method very often.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I thought we were the only ones. Our 2006 2955RL sounds like a B29 taking off when we run the pump. I have tried wrapping the pipes with foam rubber, and mounting the pump on foam rubber, and nothing really helps. I would buy a new pump, but I have heard that that doesn't work, either. FWIW, it seems to be louder when it's cold outside.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Can I ask the make and model number of the pumps? Thanks Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #19
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
WOW Again, u guys have all kinds of input I love it. Im gonna order one of them thar accumulators and install it. I always wanted to work on one of them thar accumulators,Probaly not till spring though. But when i do Ill let everyvbody know its results. TNT
mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote