Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Getting a receiver hitch installed on my H.C.

While having the wet bolt kit installed (also the Progressive Industries EMS HW50C) I decided to go ahead and get a receiver hitch fabricated and installed.
The High Country has the nice fiberglass rear cap (no bumper) which I like but obviously there is NO provision for any kind of receiver hitch.
My RV shop has a real good fab/welder guy who is going to make up a hitch for my trailer. This is just for a bike rack...no I won't be towing anything. BUT, I am requesting that it be made extra stout and painted very thoroughly too.
The service manager (great guy) said he will take some pics before they hide it behind the belly pan. I will post some pics when it's done...

Old 04-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Well, I hope you offer to pay for the film processing...

Can't wait to see them pics.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Well, I hope you offer to pay for the film processing...

Can't wait to see them pics.
LOL, ya I'm hoping he will use a digital camera!
Heading over there now with my bike rack (Thule platform rack)
http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...6XTR%20T2.aspx
Want to make sure the receiver is the right length for folding the rack and clearance when the bikes are loaded.
Should have it back by Tuesday or Wed.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Before leaving Mexico last year I fabricated a hitch just for the bikes on my RL2955 which also is without a bumper. I return back home to Mexico after 28K miles, the hitch and rack worked great but I had a friend who followed me to a camp ground in Texas tell me that the rack seem to bounce a lot. While in a CG this year prior to crossing the border I noted another RL2955 which had a hitch receiver welded to the top of the pin box with a bike rack attached. After some discussion with this fellow Montana owner he told me that he used to have a rear mounted hitch just for bikes but it bounced too much. One Night while resting at a Walmart someone stole his bikes off the back of his Monty while they slept so he came up with this idea and loves it. You do have to have a long bed TV to do this, it will not work with short beds for obvious reasons. I intend to do the same after this trip.
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I'm having trouble seeing how that would work. You mean he had a 2" receiver welded to the pin box sticking out in front of the front cap into the bed of the truck? Love to see a pic of that...
Another choice would be roof mounted racks. Had them before and it would be easy with the long cab, but getting the bikes on and off the roof is a pain! Doesn't help with mileage either...not very aerodynamic.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
RVFirefighter who has passed on to that campground in the sky had a receiver mounted to his pin box. I have a picture somewhere on a archived CD but haven't been able to locate it. I remember he utilized 4 pieces of angle iron welded side of pin box then welded angle iron across the 4 legs sticking up. To that he welded his receiver and put a 2 bike rack carrier on it. Like someone said you need a long box tv.
Unless things have changed, you go welding a receiver to your frame then you can consider the frame warrenty voided by Lippert. But a lot of people have put receivers on the back.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Ya I know about the warranty voiding issue, but am willing to risk it (thanks for the advice tho). Can't imagine how or why a properly designed hitch would cause a problem with the frame. If anything, it seems like it would make the frame stronger by boxing it in.
Seems like Lippert (or Keystone) would have to be able to show that the hitch mod somehow contributed to whatever warranty claim you were trying to make.
Regardless, a rear hitch seems like the best option. Stay tuned...
Old 04-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

Ya I know about the warranty voiding issue, but am willing to risk it (thanks for the advice tho). Can't imagine how or why a properly designed hitch would cause a problem with the frame. If anything, it seems like it would make the frame stronger by boxing it in.
Seems like Lippert (or Keystone) would have to be able to show that the hitch mod somehow contributed to whatever warranty claim you were trying to make.
Regardless, a rear hitch seems like the best option. Stay tuned...
The manufacturers are just covering their butt. There would always be some bone head out there who would put 1000lbs on the hitch then call cheap frame when it broke. MorRyde fabricated a sturdy 2 inch hitch for several of us at their plant.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Ah yes, the ever present "bonehead factor"!
I know what you mean....
I saw a post recently about the MorRyde hitch some had purchased...don't happen to have any pics of it?