Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #21
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Thank you Art. I really appreciate getting your detailed info as I didn't understand pin weight as much as my husband (and his explanation to me wasn't enough). We also upgraded to a more powerful towing vehicle when we knew which RV we were going to purchase. We have a 2009 GMC 3/4 ton 2500 HD diesel with towing package. We frequently see 5ers who have lighter TV's, same size or larger 5th wheels, and pack much more 'stuff' than we do. My husband remains aware of, and concerned about, exceeding the pin weight so we pack very little compared to other 5ers. He is especially concerned, when going downhill, that if we had to stop quickly, it could be a serious safety issue. I thought he was going to do backflips when the sales rep told us about the HE High Country models. We live in central WI; we're presently in SE TX, and he wants to trade here. The rep did give us a great deal but I'm not excited about driving it home through winter salt and slush. Thanks again! Happy Travels and have a great day!!

PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #22
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks to Art for the great explanation! Judy, replied to your PM regarding the High Country...yes, I was very happy also to find a trailer with this level of features, quality and floorplan (bunkhouse and extra 1/2 bath) and still not exceed my trucks ratings! I have a Dodge Ram 2500 (3/4 ton) MegaCab which has somewhat limited pin weight capability because the truck itself is quite heavy. It is essentially the same as a 1 ton 3500 though and mine has quite a few upgrades including an engine brake and suspension mods so the H.C. will work out quite nicely!
I am looking forward to getting my truck and trailer on a scale once I pick it up to see what it weighs in the "real world"
Old 02-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Not unusual to see owners with overweight rigs. This is not checked and is currently an owner responsibility, but you can probably guess correctly which ones are overweight.

Just this past summer, I saw an earlier model Ford F-250 (lighter weight ratings than my newer TV for sure) and it was pulling a 3 axle HUGE fifth wheel toy trailer, and had 6 "20 somethings" in the cab and the truck bed loaded with coolers, firewood and all kinds of other stuff and a heck of a sag in the rear end. I was going 80 and it took me a while to pass them, so I estimate they were going over 77-78mph. The posted speed was 70mph and 55mph for vehicles with trailers.

Depending on whose article you read, it is estimated that approximately 40% of all RVs of all kinds are overweight somewhere in the mix.

I hope this HE technology is successful to help with this problem.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #24
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
We went and looked at one and other than the cabinetry liked what we saw. One thing I noticed was that the slideouts, some of them anyway, had a motor and some sort of cable & pully system on the top of the slide. The sales guy could not explain what they were for and didn't seem to know much about the HE in general.

Anybody know more? Pullys & cables seem to be a recipe for problems down the road if you ask me. I remember the mickey mouse cable system for steering an outboard motor being nothing but problems......
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #25
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Yup, the Helium Technology strategy is to save weight (and cost) and part of that is achieved by using electric cable slide systems instead of hydraulic systems. I remember early trailers with slides using cables had some problems with fraying cables. Hopefully the engineers have solved that problem.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #26
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Arrrrgggghhhhh. Not good news. And it probably explains why the slides in question were not all the way out.

On the other hand, maybe I could get Ozz to adapt the hydraulics from a skip loader..........
Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #27
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I did as much research on these as I could and found that there can be issues with any of the slide systems being that they are a mechanical device.

In the beginning there were problems with the cable slides with frayed cables however I found that most people who have them now say they work fine and move in and out as smooth as can be. I also noted that most of the negative opinions I read were from people who were skeptical based on having no experience with them.

Are they perfect? Not hardly but the positives outweighed the negatives. Sometimes they need adjusting but was told it's easy to do and there is a cable repair kit available for about $35.00 that would be a good idea to carry.

http://www.norcoind.com/bal/products...de/index.shtml is the BAL accu-slide website

Sometimes keeping something simple might be the way to go...

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #28
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I would rather have a rig that doesn't have water filtration in the first place... LOL... I consider the water rot an indicator when water is getting in so I can see it and fix it. Oh well, to each their own.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #29
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Funny Art.

I will choose a hydraulic or gear driven system over a kluge of cables & pulleys any day. Even if it gets wet.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #30
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Dear fellow moccers, After thousands of hours of research, hands on developement, and countless laps on the grueling Bosch proving grounds test track, the results are in. We love our new 2011 323RL Montana High Country with Helium technology. The cable-pully slide system is a solid winner. More features-Less weight. We believe in Keystone RV company.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote