Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
Dropped Rig

Well I joined the ranks of dropping the 5th wheel on the railes of the truck (Sept on my birthday). Truck is fixed, but now that it is raining found leak where cap meets roof. Long story short, make sure you check things out and ensure there are no other problems when somthing like this happens.

Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Jim, I am sorry for your bad fortune. I thought that this would never happen to me and then saw on this forum that others that it has happened to have thought the same thing. Bottom line, I just installed a bed saver to my hitch. Still hope it never happens but hopefully am now protected. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Do you know what caused this? Forgot to latch, pin failure, didn't check, etc.? Sorry to hear about that.

There is a device called a "Bed saver" that gets attached to the 5er hitch in the truck and it will "catch" a 5th wheel if it becomes loose and prevent some damage. It is called a bed saver, but I think it saves the bed rails and trailer more than the bed. Here is a link to one manufacturer but there are many more.

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...m-14-8925.html

Good luck in completing the repairs.

On edit: Just saw boylanag's post and see he's got a bed saver. I have an F-250 and am very concerned about adding any more weight on the rear axle, but what would be the weight of a bed saver itself that is capable of support a 14,000lb trailer if it comes loose?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bed Saver is cheap insurance.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
Art, Just didn't back completely into hitch and missed check to ensue it had captured kingpin. Was having trouble starting truck and was frustrated (at 5000ft, 39 degrees and 5 bad glow plugs). Just goes to show that you need to follow your routine all the time. Jim
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My fear, too. But I've been fortunate so far and hope I can stay focused. Sorry to hear about the truck problems. That will certainly mess with your mind. Thanks for sharing.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
WOW sorry to hear what happened but your not the first and you want be the last but it still hurts.......
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I am sorry to hear about dropping your rig on your bed. Last Aug I stopped at Seven Feathers in Or. for fuel and in pulled two older 1 ton Dodges with the beds beat to a pulp, with the back of the cab smashed. I made a comment to the guy pumping my fuel about the trucks and he laughed and said they were local folks that deliver 5 wheels for a living! It looked like they had dropped at least 10 times on each of them. I can understand when things are not going right sometimes I forget a step or two. The last thing I do is lift my tailgate and close it,at that time I look at the back of my hitch to make sure it closed right.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Sorry about the drop. Best of luck. I also bought the Bed Saver insurance policy.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Jim, sorry to hear about your accident! There is usually an under lying cause as to something that will distract someone when this happens. Myself I was in a hurry and took some short cuts. I have a bed-saver now after I dropped mine about a year ago. Haven’t needed it but it is worth it’s weight in gold so to speak just knowing it’s back there.

I tried to find a link to the thread my story was on but I couldn’t find it. Anyway I was very fortunate where I had the legs almost all the way down which avoided damage. At least it was very minimal.

Art, I believe my bed-saver only adds about 40-60 pounds, just guessing. It really isn’t that much additional weight to be concerned with. I put it on myself in just a few minutes.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we just got a bed saver--they are made by Blue Ox here in Nebraska. The shipping weight on the package when it came was 41.6 pounds. we got it from carparts.com
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We also have a Blue Ox. Weight is dependent on your type of hitch. We have the Reese Signature Series and the shipping weight on the Blue Ox was 80 pounds. Took about a half hour to install.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Jim, sorry about your drop. Right after I purchased my Monty I was reading here on the MOC forum about how easy it is to make a mistake and drop the RV so I immediately went to the Blue Ox web site and purchased one of their Pin Lock devices. I looked at both their Bed Saver and Pin Lock products and decided that I personally liked the Pin Lock better than the Bed Saver. It is a little more compact and would seem to me to put less leverage pressure on the hitch should a drop occur. Either way they will give you the peace of mind that if you should ever make a mistake again they will save you a lot of damage to your TV and/or RV. So far I have not made a mistake yet and had to test out their functionally. But IMHO I would advise that you buy one of their products. Here is the url for Blue Ox: http://www.blueox.us/BedSaver/bedsaver.htm In the picture, on their web site, the Bed Saver is on the left and the Pin Lock is on the right. The part of the Pin Lock picture that is yellow is the actual Pin Lock. It is just shown installed on a hitch.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:16 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Unfortunately the Pin Lock isn't made for all hitches.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:35 AM   #15
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Your right Tom it isn't. There are several hitches that the Bed Saver is made for that the Pin Lock is not. Thanks for pointing that out.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #16
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

We also have a Blue Ox. Weight is dependent on your type of hitch. We have the Reese Signature Series and the shipping weight on the Blue Ox was 80 pounds. Took about a half hour to install.
Tom, do you have a stock pin box.
Last time I looked into a bed saver for the signature series it wouldn't fit with any pin box other than the stock one.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
There is at least one hitch that neither fits, that is a Trailersaver air hitch. Too bad, I would buy one in a heartbeat if they did.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #18
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Jim, we were so sorry to hear about your "learning experience." We have a bed-saver, the Blue Ox brand, which you might have seen at the 7 Feathers rally since you were parked next to us. I wish I could remember where we got it because it was on sale (on the internet) at a great price with FREE SHIPPING. I do remember that when I Googled "Blue Ox" and "free shipping," I did get more than one hit. I'd certainly look around before I bought one, because the prices vary wildly if my shopping experience was typical.

Wayne & Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Tom, do you have a stock pin box.
Last time I looked into a bed saver for the signature series it wouldn't fit with any pin box other than the stock one.
Jack
I started out with the stock box, but I was thinking about up grading, so I asked if it would still work. Their reply was they weren't aware of any pin box it wouldn't work with. Any way, I can attest (by measuring - not by trying it!) that it works with the stock one and with the Mor-Ryde we now have.

EDIT: BTW, we got ours at AdventureRV for $202.24 including shipping.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks for the info Tom.
The main reason I asked was because of the statement on their installation manual,check it out.

http://www.blueox.us/PDFS/BXR4105.pdf

Once you upgrade,Id appreciate it if you would let me know how it fits.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote