Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Good Sam's Roadside Insurance???

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. So Admins in advance sorry if you have to move it?

For those of you that have the Good Sam's Club Roadside plan, how do you find it? We have regular insurance of course on our TV & also insurance on Sky, but wonder if this would be worth having?

I know in the past we ran out of diesel in the truck, (don't ask it was really ugly! ) and had to pay a couple of hundred or so to get assistance, have fuel brought to us, start our Chevy Truck, etc. That was out of pocket cost that was to be reimbursed with our Truck insurance or RV insurance, can't remember which? Long story short by the time we got home, forgot to do it so we never were reimbursed minus the deductible.

It seems with this plan you just hand them the card, but not sure if that's accurate? We'll be full timing soon, so this will be more important than in the past with our few mostly short trips with Sky.

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tell you what Patty. We had Good Sams, Then Allstate RV roadhelp and now we are going to Escapees coach net.. They all worked for us and are all pretty much the same. IMO it is a matter of finding the service that suits you for the best price. We had excellent service from both Good Sam and Allstate RV road help.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dick and Patty,

Sorry to hear about the running out of diesel! I've heard that that can be a real pain. It is obviously an expensive process too.

I do not know about the GS process but with the AAA that we have we simply show them our card and that takes care of everything. Now if we were to run out of fuel the only cost would be the fuel itself. So at about $5 per gallon five gallons would cost about $25 and everything else would be on the insurance.

We have had to be towed several times as well as have had to have several blowouts changed out. Of course they did not pay for the new tires.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have had the Good Sam for years, it will pull your RV out of your own back yard if you are stuck in the mud, they will come fix my many flat tires (make that CHANGE the tire). They cover all our trailers and vehicles, WITH THE EXCEPTION of the utility trailer. Boat trailer, covered. Car, covered.

Yep, show em the card, sign the slip, you are good to go. We have never run out of fuel since becoming Good Sam members, but, yes, you would have to pay for any fuel they bring, I believe.

We won't leave home without it. So far, we have not had any reason to look elsewhere, but we can be open to an education, why did you switch Rich???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Patty, Here is their web site, it explains it all for you even running out of gas.
We have it and are very happy with it.
http://www.goodsamers.com/
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have had Good Sam for years and it covers all of our vehicles. They changed tires in our home driveway, started us when all electrical was dead, opened vehicle with keys locked in (don't ask) Never needed fuel but know from others that they will bring fuel to get you to a station. Like Carol, we have never had a reason to look elsewhere.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Like others, we have had it for years and wouldn't be without it. We have used it several times and were treated extra special each time. They even call back to check on you. Well worth the money for the peace of mind.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You can't go wrong with most any of the roadside services: Good Sam, Camping World (which we have)or Coach Net. They're all pretty comparable.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
One question you have to ask is, do they bring diesel. Some roadside services will NOT bring anything except gas. I also have Good Sam. Used it once and was satisfied.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
We have had good sam for years and have been towed twice in our old RV. Have not had to use it since we have the monty, but sure like the security of knowing it's there.
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Patty,
We have had GS for years and up until last September never had to use it.
Last Summer we had gone west and were on our return east without incident. That is until we reached Iowa. Just west of Davenport we had a flat with one of the infamous Mission tires. Called GS. While replacing the right rear the mechanic noticed our left rear was about to go. He put on the spare and we limped the 9 miles to their tire shop and replaced both rear tires.
We continued our trip to Goshen IN and the fall rally. Leaving Goshen we headed south for Florida. Stayed in Louisville, KY the first night. Got up the next morning to find the right front Mission was flay. Again called GS. It was at this point I decided to get rid of the left front as well.
After pulling out of Louisville a day late we once again continued our trip to Florida. Just crossed the Florida line and the TV started acting up. Once again I called GS. A wrecker arrived and towed the TV and Monty back to Dothan AL (about 5 miles) to an RV park where the driver helped us set up the Monty for the night. The driver and I towed the TV about 10 miles to the local GMC dealer. We left the TV and the driver returned me to the RV park. (A little side note, The RV park we were towed to was Pecan Point RV Park. The very first park we stayed in when leaving Florida in the spring was Pecan Point. It also turned out to be the very last park we stayed in upon returning to Florida)
3 calls to GS in less than a month and the only cost to me from GS and the tow companies was nothing, zero, nada, zilch. Yes, I did have the cost of the tires and the worked performed by the GMC dealer.
Will I stay with Good Sam? You bet!!! The other road service companies may be as good but I cannot believe they could be better and the Good Sam people are RV KNOWLEDGABLE. They know the right questions to ask concerning type of RV so as to send the right service truck. All that for 100 bucks a year? You absolutely cannot go wrong with Good Sam.

BB
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 AM   #12
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We are with Good Sam right now, but having not ever used the Good Sam Club Card we are not planning on renewing just to get the ERS. We are going to try Camping World ERS this fall.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:23 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Carol.. IMO and after some research..We determined that the major services are pretty much the same and cover the same services. We used GS and were completely satisfied. We changed because Allstate Rv road service was a bit less expensive for the same services and with allstate Rv road service ANY repair or tow facility could come out where with GOOD Sam they have to be on the GS list..It may be different now. We recently joined Escapees and IMO their service are more RV oriented, priced comparably and have the same if not more services. As I recall GS was the most expensive of the services. They all provide the service the RV'er needs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Carol - a little dated here so this may have changed in the past year but I had AAA Plus RV until I was told that they would not pull trailer if I was broke down on the side of the road somewhere.... Also, having a dually they cautioned me that they might not be able to trailer / pull my DRW Dodge even without the 5er attached. Called GS and, as you've seen above, none of those worries -- will pull TV and trailer.... cost is the same, service is much better!!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The towing the trailer to a campground, safe place as part of the benefit of GS was always something we liked.

Guess it might be time to look at Escapes, how old do I have to be??? and at least compare.

Thanks Rich for the response.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #16
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good Sam and Coach-Net are the two most used road services used by RVers. I would probably be happy with either, but use Coach-Net. They have been out to deal with 4 flats, each in a roadside environment. They also towed the TV and Monty 50 miles to a Ford dealer in Maine. All fees were included in the annual service fee. They made follow up calls to make sure the provider had arrived and took care of our needs.

My preference for Coach-Net is based on my positive experiences with them in Maine, Texas, and North Carolina. Service was consistant regardless of location.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had Good Sam ERS from clear back in our vacationing years. I don't believe we've ever had to show the card. We just call the number on the card, they send out help, we get help, sign the papers, and off we go. We gave our membership number to the ERS agent on the phone but never showed the card to anyone.

We stay with GS ERS for two reasons. One is the excellent service we've had with them. Second is I want a service that knows what it takes to tow our Montana and that if we have a truck breakdown they know to send two trucks, one for each vehicle. And they don't send a dinky tow truck for the Montana. They know what it takes.

I'm sure there are other good services but we've never had any other than GS and see no need to change at this point.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Patty we have AAA and my son and family went 2 years ago to DC and broke down 80 miles out and the pulled them in to the campg as it was sunday ,them monday they came back to cg to get rv and tow to a garage and put them all up in a motel with rental car for 5 days while it was fixed , all that for about 50. 00 bucks a year we would never change sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #19
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have had Good Sam Emergency Road Service for years. We did have to use it a couple of times and everything Steve Reigle says is absolutely correct. We wouldn't be without it.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #20
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Wow thanx everyone for all the replies. I have learned a bunch and now will make an informed decision on which one to go with. MOC is such a great place. I honestly don't know where we'd be without this Great Group of People and this Forum.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote