Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Low Bridges - New York

I was in New York a few weeks ago at Long Island, and driving from JFK I noticed almost all of the bridges are 9' tall . The weather was nice and I was occassionally dreaming about vacation when it occurred to me there were no trucks or RVs anywhere on these highways.

How do you folks get around with the Monty? There seemed to be low bridges everywhere I turned!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Brad-- maybe they use "pop-up" Montes in New York!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Brad, some friends of ours were traveling through New York on the way to meet us here in Boston. They were pulling a 3400RL exactly like ours. They experienced the low bridge syndrome you mentioned and managed to put their unit under one. They actually got all the way under and out the other side. The bridge was marked 9' 6" on the side, it was arched and had a 11' 6" center. They hit dead center and lost both AC's all roof vents and put a hole in the roof about 4' x 4' where the front AC had been. The initial repair estimate is $17,000 plus. Bye the way, when the front AC came out it also yanked all the wiring out of the roof, which happens to be where it all runs in a 3400. Yep, New York is great.

They got a ticket for driving on a low clearance road and have been informed that they must also pay for any damage to the bridge. They are fulltimers and found that Allsate isn't the folks to be insured with on an RV.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Dang - no wonder things are so expensive there -- they have to use 'baby' semi's to deliver anything? (LOL).... I don't believe that NY is the only state that way; as I recall reading a lot of the states up in the North East part of the USA have that problem -- older roads and bridges from before the era of our campers and long-haul truckers. Wonder if Keystone has a 'Hi/Lo' clone in the works?
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
Sounds like you were on one of the state roads. Southern State Pkwy. is right by JFK and forks off the Belt PKWY heading east. No commercial traffic allowed on those roads and you should be thankful you didn't get a ticket or ruin your rig.
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by madeforeachother

No commercial traffic allowed on those roads and you should be thankful you didn't get a ticket or ruin your rig.
Actually, the airline said the Montana was too big for carry-on from Denver, so I left it home and rented a Mercury at JFK instead. It fit fine under the low bridges but I did wonder how the New Yorkers maneuvered their rigs around on those parkways (Southern Pkwy, Meadowbrook Pkwy, POW/MIA Memorial Pkwy). I assume there are alternate routes? or do you just not do that on Long Island?

As far as getting a ticket, I don't think anybody gets tickets in NY for anything that has to do with driving. Within 5 minutes of entering the highway and 10 horn honks later, it was quickly gestured to me through the window of a Accura by a really mad lady that there should NEVER be an airgap between me and the car in front of me!
Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I was wondering, if any one RVed on Long Island, my Trailer Life Campground Navigator 2007 program says there are at least 2:

EASTERN LONG ISLAND KAMPGROUND INC
Directions:
From Jct of I-495 & exit 71, N 3.8 mi on Edwards Rd to Sound Ave, E 21 mi (R)
Rates, last year, and all that stuff: $45 to $55

There is something called McCanns Trailer Park and Campground very close by, 15 full hookup sites, with 20/30 AMP service, $30.a night, directions not available at this time, cause my program will not allow a copy and paste and I am too lazy to type all that stuff.

Interesting, learn something every day.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #8
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
You have to stay on the main roads that run east and west like the L.I.EXPY.(495),Sunrise Hwy.(27)Jericho Tpk.(25), or the northern scenic route 25A. There are numerous main roads that run north and south. Any campgrounds that are left will be further east. Suffolk County has two parks- Smith's Point County park is located off exit 68 of the LIE. It is right on the ocean and years ago you could pull and set up your trailer on the beach. I don't know if that still is allowed but they do have a campground with many spaces. It get filled quickly, so call for reservations. The best kept secret campground is the Suffolk County Park at the Shinnicock Inlet in Southhampton. Again, you're allowed to pull and set up on the beach and the sand,water and surf fishing is great. There is also Wildwood State Park that is very nice. It is located on the north shore of LI( EXIT 68 off the LIE). One other out in Greenport which is on the north tip and the furthest east point of LI. The traffic habits of New Yorker's are like any big city and the key is to just laugh at them because they're stuck there and your just passing through to get to a piece of paradise somewhere off the beaten path.
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Folks, New Yorkers don't go to NYC to be in the wilderness!!!

Parkway = NO CAMPERS

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Noneck, I'm sure they don't camp in the city, but I thought they might like to bring thier campers home after the vacation was over. I guess they must all park them in New Jersey?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

it occurred to me there were no trucks or RVs anywhere on these highways.

There are very few trucks of any kind (except for business) on the entire NE coast. Once you get west of Washington, DC, and head south, everybody drives a truck.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Ok you have my complete attention.
We are going to go to Niagra Falls this summer from St. Louis, Mo. Any suggestions to be able to pull my new monty (to be delivered in three days) without damage. I don't want any surprises/
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Steve, You all ready know: Pay attention to the signs. Here is a web sight that I check when I am traveling.
http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Road/...learances.html
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Stimpy123, from that location looks like your good to go! According to maps.google.com you'll be on I90 and that is not an issue! Most of our NY issues are with Greater NYC area and the designation of Parkway...which is a non-commercial vehicle roadway, often very old and configured for your Model A type vehicle.
This is all part of being part of American history and not upgrading the roadways.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I was concerned about the same thing. Possibly heading to Cheektowaga (Buffalo area) at the end of June and was concerned about bridges. The link to the low bridge site helps.

Another post will ask about good campgrounds in that area.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote