Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Blow out on I-10 and an Angel

We are headed home on I-10 East, near Las Cruces New Mexico, when we hear a sound (it does sound like opening a can of something) and see rubber flying on the passenger side of the monty. Pulled over safely and found a blow out on the front tire near the door. So back in the truck and called road service. We were put on hold and as we were waiting, we hear the sound of gunfire. (There is a correctional center on the other side of the frontage road we are parked near). Still on hold, we lock the truck and close the windows. Then we determine there must be a target range over near the prison as we saw puffs of dirt fly into the air everytime we heard a shot.

Finally talked with someone at road service and after being on hold 3 times and waiting as she booted up the computer etc. We had someone coming. The gunshots ceased, but I was one nervous nellie.

About that time an 18 wheeler pulls in front of us. Out gets this young man to see if he can assist us. Since we had someone coming to change the tire, we graciously thanked him and told him help was on the way. He was in no hurry to leave. He was from Florida and had just delivered orange juice to Calif. and was on his way home. Turns out he wasn't so young (had 6 kids and one was married).
To make a long story short, he helped get the spare down and loosened the lug nuts. When our help showed up in a small pick up, with 2 boards, 1 hydraulic jack and lug nut wrench. Our trucker did most of the work. He even threw the bad tire up in the pick up for us.

When he went to leave I asked if we could give him something, He said "No, just pass it on. I wanted to be sure you were ok before I left." His name is Greg Grantham (says he is no relation Charlie G.) from Live Oak, FL and he is our angel. All I could give him was a hug and a thank you.

Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Wow! Glad you were ok and there was an angel named Greg on the road to help.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
There is nothing like "paying it forward".
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
It's sure great to hear that there is still people out there like that. All we ever seem to hear about is the bad ones!!!

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Thanks for the good news. Always great to hear nice things about nice people,
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #6
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Sorry about your blowout, glad you were able to keep the unit under control and get it off the road safely. What a nice story. Thanks for sharing! Makes you realize there are still good people out there who care!
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Love those random acts of kindness tales. I remember a thread we had about doing that a while back. I hope everyone reading your post passes on a little help and a little happiness to someone in need. It is amazing how when you bless others in any way that somehow you end up being the one with the blessing!!! Thanks for the angel story.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Glad your story had a happy ending. Now everybody just remember PASS IT ON!
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:45 AM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
It is nice to have a angel around when you need one. Those truck drivers are really great guys and gals, they are not afraid to stop and help even if it does take some time away from there day. We are glad that you two are safe and nothing else happened when the tire blew. Have a safe trip home.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #10
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
From your post I assume the tire did not damage the Montana.

It's great to know that there are folks out there that will lend a helping hand. Makes me proud of the Grantham name. I don't have any direct relations in Florida, but somewhere back in time there is a connection. Grantham genealogy research links the name to an Edward Grantham (1643-1704) of Surry County, Va. It is suspected there is a connection that extends to Great Britain but to my knowledge there is no documentation that makes the link to Colonial North America.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
What a nice guy! Love these stories.

Any chance one of those bullets hit your tire??? to cause the blow out in the first place??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
An old saying, "What goes around, comes around!"

I have had a similar experience and a truck driver came to the rescue. In the course of conversation I found out the company he was working for and sent a nice letter of appreciations to them with his name in mention.

I think truckers are the most courtesy drivers and people on the road.

Thank the Lord for your safety and His help.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:41 AM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Myrna and Bob,

How great is that! Let's hear it for Greg! I hope the tire did not do any damage to your rig. I always loose the fender skirt when I have a blowout on the trailer. It is nice how well the rig handles even with a tire gone.

Do you have the bullet proof windows on your rig?

Sure wish you folks were joining us in Q this year. But have a safe journey on home. You don't have too much further to go.

Travel safely,

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That is really cool. I always figure folks are good until they prove otherwise.

Were you suggesting that maybe the tire was shot out by a stray shot? or just coincidence?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Glad to hear you are both okay. Thanks for sharing your experience. What a beautiful story.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #16
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
That is what makes life worth the experience...people watching over us and we don't even know it. Had same experience in NJ, Spring broke on Garden State Parkway in transit to Campground in Cape May. UPS driver pulled off highway and coached me through method to temporarily chain up axle to get to rv park until repair could be made. Our Angel w/o a name but forever in our prayers.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
He restoreth my faith in fellow man. Great story and may God Bless that young man as He blessed you!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Myrna and Bob,

Glad to hear you are safe.

Guess it was your time to get paid back for a kind deed you had done.

Safe travels.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #19
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
And now the rest of the story.... the next day, driving very carefully.. 55 to 60 mph, as we had no spare, we lost the tred on the rear,driver's side. The tire was not punctured, but we couldn't continue on it. So called road service for help. We got the same cust. srvce person and she said, didn't you call yesterday? Anyway, they sent out a tire service with a new tire. We had to pay for the tire and the recycle fee to remove the old tire. Yes, we did have damage on both sides now. It wasn't major but will need some sections replaced. Also the galley drain handle was mangled. There was a nail in this tire..it didn't puncture through but bent between the tread and inner layer. Bob thinks it contributed to the separation. The tires that we have on are Tacoma's which are original and they have 25,000 miles on them. We knew we needed to get new ones, but we hoped to make it home to start shopping around. The tire that they brought was a Maxxis. We stopped to get an estimate yesterday and they say around $900. That includes labour, parts and shipping charges. I am just grateful it didn't rip into the monty's flooring or wiring etc. The first tire was from road debris and not gunshot. That just added to the excitement!!!

We are back home in TX safe and sound and getting lots of hugs from the grandsons. We are watching for that opportunity to pass it on.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Glad ya'll made it back to Texas, Bastrop in particular, safe and sound. Just in time for the change in weather thats coming our way.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote