Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
What the MOC means to You?

I seem to be getting all twisted up about what the MOC means to me. The club mission is somewhat vague, and there are no rules, charters, or vision statements. I guess I just end up filling in the blanks myself and perhaps I shouldn't. I am open to what others think and open this thread for discussion. I will sit back and listen and not say another word on the topic. I might even get a new perspective!

To Me, the MOC means: A club of folks bound by a common thread - ownership or desire to own a Montana, Big Sky, Mountaineer. I belong because if feels good to belong and I figure I have paid the price to belong given the criteria for membership. I belong because it is exclusive. I belong because I know that regardless of location, name, or age, I have something in common with the other members. I belong because I can talk with folks about my awning without having to introduce myself and I know they have the same awning. I do not have any good friends based on the MOC, but I have good friends that are members of the MOC and always will be my friends regardless of the MOC. I know that the MOC has almost 5,000 members, but only about 100 members are active in the Forum. I enjoy camping, but would not automatically go camping with someone because they are in the MOC. I am not retired. I think an MOC Rally would be fun, but I probably would never go to one. I think there is a "Core" goup in the MOC based on friendship rather than the common thread, but I ignore it. I wave to other Montana - Big Sky - Mountaineer owners.

To You, the MOC means:

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Brad,
My membership and participation in the MOC forum to me simply means that I acknowledge to others that I own a Montana product and am interested in participating in discussions centering around that product. Since I have accepted all of the members as the only internet based family to which I belong, I enjoy discussions on other topics including good natured ribbing, jokes, tales, adventures and anything else that they or I feel merits a post. I have great respect for those who have been members for a long time simply because they may and do have knowledge (forum based or not) that I can tap into as a reference and information source. Although there are times I disagree with some posts because of my personal ethics and morals, I try not to criticize others for their opinions and beliefs. This is a very unique forum with very unique members and I value all of those members. I do plan to attend rallies and I do hope to continue meeting other forum members simply because every member I have met to date has been a joy and a pleasure to meet. As always, this is my opinion based on my criteria for what this forum is to me. I am curious what others think and I do believe this will be a very informative thread. Thanks for thinking of it.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
What MOC Means to me. Its a FORUM that primarily discusses topics related to Montana, Big Sky and Mountaineer products. As with most forums, I did not expect to find only these products discussed, but the primary focus would be with these products. I hoped to learn about the products, problems, fixes, modifications, etc. I hoped to gain enough knowledge, and through experience, maybe give five back to the forum and newer members some help. All of this I have so far found to be true and enjoyable.

In addition some of the thing I have found are the quality of people here have been outstanding, their eagerness to help and volunteer suggestions and tips. The Forum's set up, and easiness of use, and amount of links and useful data is fantastic.

And we as users are free to read/post as we need to, and have the ability to pick and choose those post that are of interest to us, and ignore those that are not.

To the staff, and volunteers that keep this house in order and running, a big THANK YOU!!!
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
The MOC will mean different things to different people. And we each should remember that we are not the ONLY member of the MOC. If you only want technical info, then read those posts but be polite enough to allow others to post other topics. You don't need to read them if you are not interested. The nick picking that has been going on lately is why we have lost a lot of members who use to post regularly. For us we have learned a lot from our fellow MOC members and we have made a lot of friends so I guess we fall into both categories. I don't care what brand you have if you have the answer to a problem I have. I don't care what brand you have if you have a good joke that makes me laugh.
BTW, we did not own a Montana when we joined the MOC. No one checked my VIN number. If this is not what you want in a forum perhaps there is one out there in cyberland that will suit your needs. Please remember also, we do not own this forum, we are guest.
BTW, I thought about this for several hours before posting.
JMHO
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I, like many others, like to help our members, and enjoy working on my Monte, it is, after all our home, and we love it dearly. It is a new way of life for us. I enjoy reading posts on many subjects, I think it is interesting. You don't have to know all about everything to contribute. Sometimes just a story about your experiences and problems, is enough to bring us together in a solution. It's amazing to see the 'giving' here.
There are so many nice people on the Forum, so many friends to hold close.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Well put Brad, "a club of folks bound by a common thread" and that being one of the Keystone products you mentioned. When we 1st joined the MOC we thought of it as an exclusive club of Montana owners and the bond developed in the same way you described. Since then we have found the forum equally as valueable when purchasing our auto slider hitch, when purchasing our latest tow vehicle, and when doing the latest upgrade to our rv. So it just can't be that black and white. The common thread binding us tomorrow may be the discussion between the many schnauzer dog owners in the club!!! This forum does mean different things to different people but perhaps we are 1st brought together because of present, past, or future Keystone ownership.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
To me the MOC means:

I joined the MOC to learn what I could before I decided to purchase our Montana. After joining the MOC I read a lot of posts, then started asking my questions that pertained to the model of Montana I was interested in. After making a decision to order our Montana I kept reading the forum and posting now and then. I became very comfortable with this forum because everyone that responded to me was very nice and helpful. When I saw the first get together posted for Lake Siskiyou my wife and I decided to attend, now you should know we never have joined a group of people that we did not know and I also must tell you that we were welcomed when we arrived and had a great time while we were there. As a matter of fact we had such a great time we decided to join the MOC rally in Reno. Another great time was had there. My wife and I enjoyed the rallies we have attended so much that I decided to start supplying the MOC wear to help support the forum. We also met so many new people at the rallies that have become good friends of ours. I was wondering what would keep me busy after retiring at 55 and guess what? My membership in the MOC has been a great part of keeping me busy with our new friends both on the forum and traveling with them, and having our new MOC friends stop by our home for a visit.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
To me the MOC means:

A place where I can be of some help to others, using my experiences as an RVer. I really appreciate that we can compare notes, provide fixit information and be available for help when needed. The MOC has provided me with friends whom I have yet to meet. I've met a couple and it is only because of the MOC. The MOC has given me the opportunity to share back and forth with others my problems with others problems and thereby help one another. I really appreciate the MOC because it is an upbeat forum. Yes, there are disagreements, but we all agree to disagree. There are many other reasons, but they'll all come out in this thread.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
The MOC is what you make it , it can be fun , but if you are not having fun , as in life , make a change but don't drag down what others like just because you are not happy , lots of things in life are good , never look at the bad as that is all you will see ,, enough said by me john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
To me the forum means: Having a wide friend base, learning about my Montana, Learning about RVing, (This includes a lot). telling a joke, laughing, seeing pictures of all the mods. learning about my TV (first diesel), where to camp, where not to camp, where to get service, where not to, how to spend my money, where to eat, where to fish, how to make beaded jewlery, best toilet paper to use, how to clean roof, how to tune TV antenna, tire maintenance, trailer maintenance, where to go for rallies, people who offer assistance (MOCTAP), who's staying where, good roads, bad roads, ad infinitum. (Everything RV)!!!! And most of all, where to get a cool one on SPI......lol
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
What the MOC means to me............it is so very important to me. I click on it 2 or 3 times a day, generally just reading those things of interest and sometimes commenting if I believe I can add something of value. I love this site. Without this site, we would not have a new Big Sky and certainly would not have it for the price we paid. Because of the information shared, we were able to purchase at a rock bottom price from a great dealer. I am always filing away in memory something I can use now or later. I enjoy all of the warnings, how to fix things, where to go, where to stay. I am looking forward to meeting more of the members because those I have met are great. I agree we are all bound by a common thread...........our Montanas.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:30 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think Brad's original post is very good. I do disagree with the "core group statement" There are a bunch of us, Long timers and full timers that continually bump into one another in our travels and attend rallies because we are retired and able to. We will go to the Rv show in Tampa and we will see many of the same folks there that we see at the Fall rally. Same thing happened at a MOC get together in Phoenix last winter. That is not a core group just a bunch or travelers. I may be a bit different than most as to me there is nothing special about my Montana execpt that I own one. It is no better no worse that many other brands in the same price range.I would belong to a SOB forum if I owned a SOB. This forum provides me with information about my Montana, that is my interest. We belong to other forums and this one is the best run forum of them all.We have met and will continue to meet many great MOC'ers and lasting friendship have already been formed. We same thing happens with our FCRV (family campers and Rv'ers) family , our local camping group family and campers we have just met along the way.

We all have two common interest,,, Rv'ing and our Montana's.I think that is where some of us get confused. The Rv'ing interest has no boundries. The Montana interest within this forum does have boundries.. The Montana Division and the the directives of the Forum Owners.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 AM   #13
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Brad, I agree with the statement "a club of folks bound by a common thread".
We are new to fifth wheeling,even though we have been camping/rv'ing for the last 40 yrs, and have reaped much info from this forum.
We purchased our used but new to us Mountaineer because we like what we saw and also what I've read on this and other forums.
Even though we have'nt met any of you we feel we do know many of you by the personalities through your reponses to the myriad of topics that are contained throughout these pages.
We really enjoy this forum better than others that we are part of because of those personalities.
I would be at somewhat of a loss without this avenue.
In Closing, may the Good Lord truly bless each one of you this coming year.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
What the MOC means to me;

MOC - Montana Owners Club. A group of people who own, or are looking to own, one of the trailers in the Montana division of Keystone Mfg. A group of people brought together by one common interest, Montana. Among our members there are many other common interests, but the Montana, (be it currently owned, previously owned, or looking to own) is the ONLY thing we all have in common.

The MOC is the first internet forum I have ever joined, or even looked at. From the first day I joined, I have felt like a member of a very large family, a family dedicated to helping each other. This forum has saved me countless dollars, and headaches in learning about 5th wheel campers. I had never owned any kind of camper before buying the Montana, and had it not been for this forum and it's great members, I would have had to do alot of experimenting in the use and care of one. I feel like I have made many friends here, and although I have only met two in person (ols1932 - Orv and Marge), I believe the friends I have made will be friends for life. I enjoy meeting new people, and look forward to meeting more of the friends I have made here.

All that being said, I wouldn't be honest with you, or myself if I didn't say this. When I joined this forum one of the reasons was because it was an exclusive "club", Montana Owners Club, meaning to me that only Montana Owners, and want to be owners were allowed. I now know that isn't necessarily true. There are several members that no longer own a Montana, but continue to be members, and continue to post & reply to posts. I don't have a problem with this, I even think it's good, as long as Montana isn't being bashed, or SOB isn't being praised. I have alot of pride in my Montana, and alot of pride in being allowed to be a member of this forum. Because of that pride, I get a little angry when someone starts putting down something I have invested so heavily in, especially when it happens right here on this forum.

If my statements have offended anyone, I sincerely apologize, I assure you it was not my intention.

On Edit - I should have said we all have 2 common interests, Montana, and RV'ing. I guess I didn't really think about living in one as RV'ing. Sorry.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #15
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The first RV forum I joined was rv.net and one day I saw an addy in someone's post. Being curious I checked it out because we owned a Mountaineer. After signing up the first thing I noticed was the friendly reception from many of the regular posters. I like the quick responses that are posted about any problems. Every bit of advice I got was spot on. The information that can be gleaned here is priceless. I have not met any of the forum members but I plan on stopping in when the Quartzite group show up later this month. I believe in "paying it forward" and when ever I can contribute any information that will help someone else I do.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #16
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
No one told me about this forum, I actually sought it out. I can't remember if I Google'd it or just took a stab and got the right web site by accident. We were considering upgrading from our 24'TT to a larger one or maybe even a fiver. In the back of my mind I kinda knew I wanted a Montana but never let on to Brooke. We spent months driving around to different dealers and looking at different brands. We kept coming back to the Montana. Then I found this site, joined, and kind of lurked for awhile. I couln't believe how much information was being passed back and forth between so many people. I wasn't always sure what everyone was talking about but I new right away that it was GOOD. I kept reading "best bang for your buck", etc. so I figured most of the folks were fairly happy with their Montys. Long story short...we own one now and are happy we do.

So what does MOC mean to me? Like I said before...it's GOOD! So many other things in life are not but this is. I know I'm never going to be disappointed when I get the chance to get on this site. I may not find anything earth shattering each time but usually find interesting stuff. I know if I have a question or a problem I can ask and usually a whole bunch of folks will chime in shortly. Sometimes I might actually be able to help some body else out too. Like Brad, we're not the rally types either (not yet anyway) but we do find a sense of closeness and likeness with the folks on this forum. We also wave and flash our lights at other Montana-Big Sky-Mountaineer owners...it's GOOD!
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #17
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Oh! You mean MOC doesn't mean "Members OF Camping"....

I am just joking here! Please don't get worked up. I just couldn't resist a joke...

I have already expressed what the MOC means to me in other threads, so I will not bother with re-stating.

The MOC is a great place to be, and I'm happy all enjoy it.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:36 AM   #18
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
MOC membership to us is a means of sharing the same experience that other members are having with their Montana's and getting some of their knowledge and expertise that newbies like ourselves can use. Membership creates a "common ground" where we all can contribute our individual experiences, sharing our victories and defeats.

Valerie and I enjoy reading and participating in the Forum's free flow style and the comraderie that exhists among the membership.

We are pleased to be member 7626 and thank all for their participation and advice.
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'd like to reply on this thread without first reading the other replies. Keep my own thoughts pure (like me ), so to speak.

First, I think I understand what you mean by "core group" but I don't think I totally agree. There have been friendships formed, just like there are in the rest of life. There is not just one group of friends. But I think I understand what you are saying.

I first found MOC back in late 2002 (I think October), when it first existed on Yahoo Groups, not on forumco's software. I was member number 4 in that group. I found it by searching on "montana fifthwheel". I was looking for whatever information I could find on the trailers. We had our second Montana, a 2003 3295RK at that time. I was retired, Vicki was working for a couple more months. We had decided to sell the house and start fulltiming. Thus my interest in MOC.

I didn't go back for about a month. It was gone from Yahoo Groups but there was a note on how to find its new location. I registered again on MOC, my current registration. There were just a few of us in those days. Very much a friendly atmosphere. Everyone was careful to say things in a non-offensive way. I remember when we hit member number 100. And then 500. And 1000. We began to take opportunities to meet other MOC people on the road, visiting some of them in their stick homes.

When we started fulltiming I fully expected any new friendships would be of the passing variety. Friends while in the same park. Perhaps corresponding for awhile afterwards. Eventually drifting off to never be heard from again. Was I ever wrong! We have had the pleasure of meeting something around 250 to 300 MOC couples and count many of them among our friends. And some of them among our very close friends.

MOC to me has become not just a place to seek help. Not just a place to seek solace. Not just a base of support. It has become family. Friends. A warm place to be.

I wish I could say it better. It's really hard to explain something so personally valuable.

If I may add my biggest regret from the very early days... I never had the opportunity to meet and shake the hand of Rob Cooley, a very early and influential formative member of MOC. Rob helped me immensely in those days. I would love to meet him one of these days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #20
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Wow, where do you start? I will whole heartedly agree with all the prior posts on this topic!
MOC, My "ole" Companions, no, it's the Montana Owners Club. But in a way, we have made so many new friends here and have spent a lot of good times with some of them.
You first meet them here and then someday run into them face to face! We've met some folks at the first rally in Goshen and haven't seen them since, but still keep in touch via email and phone calls. And better yet, we plan on meeting more of our "family" in our future travels!
Some of these friends we've met are sob'ers and that didn't make a difference, we remember we first met them here!
I also like the fact that I can ask a question here and not be put down because I didn't know the answer.
And as Steve Reigle said, I wish I could also say it better, but I tried!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote