Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Frustration

let me think....oh, I have one.
Today, we went to Brownsville for more supplies to landscape our lot, second phase.
We have been making every trip count, no more every day trips to Wally World, or shopping around the area. With fuel the way it is, we are being parsimonious. Not a bad thing, just using my Coconut, as my Pappy would say.
We found the Bead shop for Sue, the building materials for our Patio, but we could not find a fuel stop with ULSD.... We stopped at at least 6 stations. I says to myself, 'Hershel, a dealership would know'.
So, Sue get's the cell phone out and dials information, she gets Spanish on the other end... now we have been warned by who-the-heck-remebmers..that as close as we are to Mexico, your phone can go to 'Roam' and get gad-zillions of dollars charge for roaming, so, Sue hung up. No information for Ozz and Sue, too risky, we says.
So, I stopped at a national chain fast food place, name escapes me, asked the bartender if I could use the yellow pages to find a dealership phone number. I didn't have my glasses with me, so he was kind enough to look them up, I got a Ford, and a Chevy dealership set of numbers.
Got back in the truck, fuel level getting lower and lower, called the Ford dealership first.....fax line. Shaking my head, dialed the Chevy dealership. I explained my dilemma to the four people that I got switched to, one after another, then a nice guy said he would find out for me, yea! Chevy dealership. Well..after a few minutes the computer in the phone system switches you back to the operator because someone decided a 3 minute wait was too long, the people on hold may go buy a Ford if made to wait a minute longer. The operator asked me who I was talking to....I said, the third guy...she switched me to a new guy, Fourth guy. He put me on hold, I waited 3 minutes and hung up, bowing my head in ...well, frustration.
At that point, I gave up and headed back to South Padre, we saw a truck stop, I pulled off the highway; there was a pump with a ULSD sticker, we marked it in our book.
Yes, frustration.
I think I will have a cold one.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sounds like a "Two" cold one night OZZ!!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Wow! Ozz, Makes me wonder how much touble we will have finding that new diesel when we get the new truck.
Almost all of the stations here in Colorado are going to the new diesel. I believe all will eventually.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, but eventually does not fill the tank...now.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Ozz not that this will help but what is your feeling about an aux. tank? extra 30 to 90 gal. allows you to extend your travel to where ever you want. I keep thinking about it and havn't decided yet. A day like yours and I would have dedcided; get-er-dun!
Just a thought,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
.....think I'll keep my ol' 2006 model a little longer.

....you might think about switching to the harder stuff; Corona doesn't seem to be doing the job!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I'm with ya Robbie, first reading about regens??? now finding fuel, this forum is making me realize that I made a good choice with the classic Chevy (takes both fuels) more and more each day. However, Ozz is providing some good info for the newer truck owners to consider.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Ozz, as lwcdg said, a aux/replacement tank. I just had a Transfer flow replacement tank installed today. Since I have the short bed GM, it only has a 26 gallon tank. I really dislike having to bring the 5er into the fuel station after 200-250 miles. Now I have a 45 gallon tank (400-500 miles) so I can fill up either before I hook up, or after I unhook. When using the TV w/o the 5er, I'll be able to pick and choose when prices are low (ha, ha $3.00 is now low) to fill up.

Being as handy as you are, you might be able to do it yourself. They are expensive and you probably won't save enough on lower cost fillups to off set the cost. Example my replacement tank installed and 5 gallons of Diesle cost me $1260 ($300 was labor).
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Yes, but eventually does not fill the tank...now.
Jim, five gallon gas cans $8.00. Five gallons of diesel fuel $17.50. Five extra gallons of diesel fuel to search with “Priceless”. Go 2006 diesel pulling machine!!!
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
i can't justify the 1000.00 for the fuel tank extra,, if they give you the fuel it will take till you die to pay for the extra tank unless you are a transporter guy that runs tons of miles . my f250 has a 29 gal tank but i can get a 46 gat to fit in its place for 975.00 labor and tank ,, tooooooooooooooooo much john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I get this warm fuzzy feeling thinking of all those gas stations that have all that GASOLINE for my truck. Sorry, I could'nt help myself.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Why not go to a inbed tank? Under $400.00.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Oh thank you 2005 F-350.

ULSD - Hmm! That's like HDTV - someday we'll all use it.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We learn to adapt. I will just fill at half tank when in unknown territory. I am good to go now in this area, before yesterday, I knew of only one station around. Now two...whoopee.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:28 AM   #15
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Since I have a gas guzzler and had no idea what ULSD is, I Googled it. Wikipedia says "As of October 15, 2006, most on-highway diesel fuel sold at retail locations in the United States and Canada is ULSD". Is it possible it's all ULSD and just not identified as that?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Our truck has a 34 gallon capacity, but still there are those times when we have to drive out of the way, or unhook to go find fuel. We try to plan as best we can, but this just doesn't always pan out.

As a fulltimer, I am not sure if we would be able to recover the expense, but I think in the life of the truck, it might be close. The convenience would sure be worth the expense.

Someone earlier on this forum talked about a place in Lake Havasu City, AZ that built custom transfer tanks....any one remember the name or location of that place?

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 AM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
VanMan, Wikipedia is wrong, there are still hundreds if not thousands of stations that don't have ULSD. They have been given several date setbacks by the gov't. I believe the latest deadline is Feb of 08. That could change again. I have found at least 6 stations in the Savannah are that are still pumping LSD and at least half of the stations between St.Louis and Savannah. I have an 06 so it doesn't matter but I look at each and every station I visit. Most of the time when I ask about it the clerks don't have a clue what the difference is or that it will be required soon. As far as labeling, I have asked and been told by a half dozen station operators that they are pumping both grades because they have to keep it listed as LSD till they pump all the old LSD out of the tanks. They don't pump tanks empty, they pump way down then add ULSD but it still isnt straight ULSD. It takes several drainings to get to an acceptable concentration of ULSD to be listed as ULSD... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:25 AM   #18
Dennis Korchak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2419
I have a 38 gal tank on our 06 F350 and added a 50 gal fuel/toolbox combo from Transferflow. Priceless.... This gives us about a 900 to 1000 mile range for towing and allows use to pick and choose where and when we fuel up. Plus it gives us a locked storage area. Down side is lots of $$$$$ to fill up when empty.
Dennis Korchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:26 AM   #19
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
At this point I guess I have a question or two.
1. Does your truck know the difference in the two types of fuels?
2. Is this another scam to make more money for the oil industry?
3. Is this like the regular gas vs high octane gas thing?
4. Is this part of the "Go Green" cut polution thing that we keep hearing about.
We must be ready to put it into effect, but we are not ready yet. Hold your breath till it happen and by then we will have thought up something else or a different persons idea on how we should do it. Kind of shows you that the auto industry and oil companies are not on ther same page. Right hand don't have a clue what the left hand is doing...

I think we went down this road once before when we told that it was not good for you to put unleaded gas in your lawn mower. You should buy a bottle of lead mix and add it to gas. I don't ever recall a lawn mower blowing up in my yard. Matter of fact, I don't know where you could buy LEADED gas either and the lawn mowers keep on running....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:55 AM   #20
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
jsmitfl had one of these and sure glad i had the oppertunity to see the set up. 30 gal and Ozz project tool box. Not expensive and simple, easy to install yourself. When the fuel guage says i'm hungry, i don't worry about hunting a USLD pump, i have about 500 miles for that, and tell the DW, wheres the next Fly J.

Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote