Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
Ronald
Established Member

M.O.C. #2309
Hooking up a Dish

I have a dish and receiver but do not know anything about hooking one up for our 5th wheel. We have a 2004 Mountaineer and are planning a trip to get out of this cold country. Would like to have the Dish hooked up. Can some-one tell me what I need to Do.

This is Ron from Wi.

Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Ron...posted some info...more to come once I sit down and map out my current configuration... see my response -> http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17944
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:38 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Over the years, Keystone has provided (or not provided) different ways of connecting a dish, so it is hard to give a complete answer. If you have a "cable" connector on the outside of your trailer, it probably won't work with a dish, because it needs to be able to back feed a power supply to the dish through the connecting cable, and the type of connections provided for "cable" do not allow for this. To get around this you have a couple of options, you can find a way to snake a cable into the rig through a window or slide, so that you can connect directly to your receiver, or you can install a true "satellite" connector in you trailer wall to bring the signal in. (or you could change the cable connector for a satellite connector). In my limited experience, satellite connectors seem to work with cable, but not the other way around. In my previous '02 model I added the satellite connector, but how easy this is depends on the layout of your particular floor plan.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
This thread has some explanations: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16591

Also there is a tutorial at this link: http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/sat.htm

If you have specific questions after reading that information, let us know. We'll try to answer.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
This hookup allows selecting CATV if cable is available, or "powering" your SAT Dish via the same coach connection. Internally you can select via second switchbox either of these two feeds or VCR/DVD player. Lastly, the existing TV antenna with power amp can be used.
My wiring:
Old 10-31-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
noneck, why would you want that first A-B switch and splitter - to go from 2 feeds to one then go right back to two with the splitter? Why not just have the two feeds from outside go directly to the A/B/C switch?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hi VanMan, That first one allows me to select my rear (factory installed cable connector) or the midcoach self installed connector. My reasoning for doing this are two fold...I can then connect a DirecTV Sat dish to one, park cable feed to other. I can then "pick" which one to use inside my coach late at night, half alsleep...just making sure if its the park cable feed the DirecTV receiver has to be turned off to prevent a DC voltage back-feed into park cable, which typically (when I get stupid, which seem more often lately) the receiver shuts off indicating "short circuit". Second point is having two locations allows me to have more options for locating my Dish in various park obstructions. I know as the Mrs says...you have way to much time and energy for these odd things! Of course she is really happy when the "special" soap series comes on mid day....argh.
Chuck
Chuck