Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
To go or not to go?

Luckily, I filled up with diesel yesterday, though the prices on diesel have not skyrocketed like gasoline. What I am noticing, however, is that so many of the pumps are running dry as people are making runs on fuel before the prices go any higher. Marsha and I are worried that when we go to South Carolina this weekend, we might not be able to find diesel.

I just don't know...

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
depends where and how you travel. we stay on main highways. that shouldn't be a problem if you frequently stop a truck stops. just try not to get below a 1/2 tank and you'll be fine. you'll be ready for a stretch and bathroom break by then anyway. just don't be a picky as to where you stop. many times I'll check prices and look for something cheaper, but many times your better off just getting it when it's an easy on and off.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would also say go. I will be going to Chicago, and down to Nashville in Oct and I do not care what the cost of diesel is, I am going. I like BillyRay's idea, just stop when you get down 1/4 or 1/2 tank and fill it up. Life is too short to work so hard, and worry about the small stuff. GO` ENJOY` HAVE FUN` You wont regret it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:10 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I'm driving from New Jersey to Colorado this weekend but not pulling the Montana. I too was wondering on the availability of fuel. I know it will be expensive but I had made commitments before the hurricane was even a thought in our minds.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:29 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Here's a helpful site to monitor while you are traveling. Doesn't show availability, just the current prices and you can input prices yourself if you wish. This is for both gas and diesel.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/gasprices/states/
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:01 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With all due respect the small stuff is when you are on a fixed income and a tank of fuel is 125.00 + and camping although fun is a luxury that all things considered can be done without and paying the mortgage, utilities, food, etc are not luxuries you can do without.There are a lot of campers out there that will have to make the choice of spending the $ on fuel or paying the necessary bills....If $ are of no concern, bless your good fortune..most of us are not that fortunate.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:50 AM   #7
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I think if a person is afraid of the price then you might as well sell what you have and stay home or use the holiday inn. I don't think that we are ever going to see prices down to what they were a year ago. It seem that the oil companies are going to make their money and we either have to suck it up or quit camping. Yes it makes it hard on some of us with fixed income but we are going to keep camping at least for a while. If I feel we can't afford it then I guess we either sell or park it at a lake which we did back in the late 70's and early 80's. Didn't have a montana then. but it was a fifth wheel 29 ft.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:55 AM   #8
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We will probably modify our traveling, although after the previously planned trips in October, we will be home for the winter anyway. But, we will not stay at home and be hermits when traveling season starts again in the spring. The thing that always makes me angry about rising prices is that the "manipulators" gouge the general public using any excuse they can. And, the U.S. needs to rely more on itself and not foreign resources. Only my opinion, folks, so don't want to start any kind of dispute.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I going to come to Dave's defense on this, Rich. I believe I know what he is saying. Cheryl came home yesterday and immediately starting complaining how depressed she was over the price of gas (went to $3.59 here yesterday). She stayed depressed ALL afternoon. Know what??? The price of gas did not drop ONE penny for all her expenditure of stress and negative energy, just made life on the home a little miserable!!

I totally agree with you Rich that the price of gas is a major financial consideration, but I have talked to people who were almost on the verge of suicide over this! I get frustrated over this too ~ within limits. We have to deal with it as best we can, but I draw the line at justifying a stroke or heart attack over this! Unless we can get maybe a million people (out of the country's 290 million) to march on the oil companies (we can call it the "Million Gas Users March"), we will have no control over the world market and political systems. It's OK to be frustrated with this and voice our opinion to our leaders in Washington, but I am going to spend my time and energy trying to figure out how to adjust to a different world. We can do it. Just not the same way.

I hope you are not mad at me, Rich... I just support Dave's idea that some people overdoing a bit.

Just my opinion.

Dave
Old 09-01-2005, 05:13 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been planning our retirement , for many years and now that we are within 14 months of "living our dream" it is , at least, as of this time, going down the tubes.We hope that things will change and all will be well in the future.But if we can't do what we planned to do in terms of traveling with the Camper because of the cost, and there is a limit, then we won't do it.We bought the new Tv and with the price of fuel now we are stuck with it, who would buy a fuel guzzler.We will not blow 40K or so on a camper if we won't be able to travel as we planned..We do have a plan "B" and that is a place in Fla or Arz for the winter..It will keep us out of the snow. We are optimistic that we will realize our primary plan.However for the near future we are not going anywhere...
Old 09-01-2005, 05:33 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, I need to modify my response a little. I realize that there are situations where the price of gas is going to cause major disruptions in people's lives, and that is very discouraging to them. There are others, however that are not "solution oriented" (probably never will be) and are running through the streets with there hands in the air screaming doomsday prophesies. I don't think this is too much of an exaggeration in some cases (I get a call from my dad three times a day saying, "I knew this was coming! We are the verge of total world economic collapse!!!". I love my dad. I just say, "I agree").

I have faith. Our plans and goals will come to fruition. We just need to put the action in, but not by running down the street with our hands in the air.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:04 AM   #12
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
JD-
This is only a personal preference....I am a stay at home person on national holidays such as Labor Day. I guess by now you are seeing reports on long lines at the fuel pumps, the accelerated prices at the stations and some are already having shortages. My opinion....unless it is of utmost importance, I would give it some time for things to stabilize in the fuel markets and avoid the roads this upcoming Labor Day weekend.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:04 AM   #13
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I filled up again this morning and was able to get Diesel for 2.56. Other stations including WalMart was up to 2.76. I guess all will be there soon.
I bought my TV a fews months ago with the idea of paying it down, buying a Monty and paying on it until next year when I will retire, at least go part-time.
I have my Dodge 3500 and my Monty and will probably down-size my regular home or sell it and go full-time. I will not let diesel prices prevent me from enjoying the time I have available.
Keep the faith.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:13 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh no guys .We are not going nuts over this.I always break things down into two categories..Things I have absolute control over..like when to wash the dog or when to throw out the trash.. And things I have little or no control over..Like will a asteroid hit Earth, or the price of fuel. We have a retirement plan and if it does not work out we will come up with another. We just a little disappointed. We are listening to Fox News about the horrible situation in N.O and surrounding areas. That we may not camp any more this year or that Maybe we will have to alter our retirement plans pales in comparison to what those folks are going through and what they face in the future. But I will say this..those of us, everyone, who will pay any price for fuel, are not contributing to any kind of solution.Drove down the interstate this morning in my School bus and noted that 95% of the cars on the road had ONE driver in them..and fuel at 3.19.9. I am only one person but I need to do something so I will only drive when necessary and my beautiful Gas guzzling Tv is parked. A small sacrifice
Old 09-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Schools bus transportation Office just got a MSG from Emergency management that parts of Ohio will be experiencing a fuel shortage starting Sept 2.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:52 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wordsmith is talking about fuel being available at all so he can get back home on his trip. I think that's a very legit concern that he should look into before taking off.

As for prices, we certainly are hit as hard as anyone. It will have an impact on us, no doubt. We do not give easily on things we enjoy, however. Instead, we look to how we can adjust to minimize impact on our lifestyle. For example, we're near Yellowstone National Park. Before the rapid increase in fuel prices we would go into the NP maybe four times per week with each trip being just a few hours. Now we're making fewer trips into the park but are spending more hours in the park per trip. So we see more in one day than we used to and take fewer trips into the park. We're doing fewer miles in other words.

We'll also adjust other parts of our budget as needed to accommodate the additional fuel expense. It's not something we're very happy about but it's better than the alternative to stop traveling. We like to eat out but will do less of that, for example. We'll carry a picnic lunch more often. Make fewer trips to the store. Etc.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, you nailed my concern. All around this area, I am seeing pumps with plastic bags over them. In fact the one where Marsha and I both filled up yesterday already had a bag over the diesel pump when we arrived. And let's face it, diesel is not as simple to find as regular unleaded.

Camping IS--as Rich noted--a luxury, but with the "at the beck and call" of others world of teaching, it is also my sanctuary. Like the commercial says, that borders on priceless. If fuel prices stay where they are, then things will have to be changed in our lifestyles, but I want to maintain the camping for as long as possible. Less eating out and less quick drives to the store come immediately to mind.

Charlie, I too am a typical homebody at holidays as I do not like crowded conditions, but currentrly, I do intend to go to SC this weekend for the reasons listed above, but you can bet I will keep the tank as full as possible and we might not be able to take a trip into Anderson AND Greenwood. Such is our current reality in life...
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:21 AM   #18
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Stay in there, J.D., my friend! Sure, you may have to make some adjustments, but giving up the RV and 'camping' should be out of the question. It just may delay your visit to Texas, and that would be a real loss.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #19
oldudbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #3640
Send a message via AIM to oldudbob
With fuel prices what they are I am going to have to cut back. I have already advised the upstairs maid that she would only get a 10% raise this year. I guess the wife will have to wait a few months before getting the new Rolls. I may even have to cut back on using the helicopter to fly to our estate in the mountains. Life is tough.
oldudbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #20
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I was wondering about the schools transportation just this morning. Our oldest one rides it daily but w/sports we have to pick up..and I am all for carpooling but noone comes my way It is very scary w/these gas prices and some having no gas. I have to travel 68 miles daily to work and it does make me nervous...We will more than likely cut back in camping or park the monty in a private campground to help ease the cost.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote