Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2016, 05:18 AM   #1
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Burping Toilet

I have a 2007, Montana 3400 RL. The toilet has recently started "Burping" when the flush handle is activated. I can also hear what sounds like gas bubbles on occasion when the valve is closed. I have dumped the tanks and used the inside black tank flush every several days for a week. Yesterday I climbed on the roof, removed the vent cap and inserted a snake to check for plugs. I could feel the snake hit bottom and then with a slight push, it felt as though a trap door opened and the snake when down another 6"-12". The same results when I snaked the grey and kitchen traps. It feels as though there is a flap on a spring to keep solids from coming up should the tank over full. Is it possible there is such a trap with vent holes and the holes are plugged? Funny thing is there is no odor. Any suggestion on a fix? If someone is not warned about the issue and pushes a "full flush", it will splash up and over the bowel. Not much fun if one is sitting when the flush lever is activated.

Neverhome

Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Kind of sounds like you might have the dreaded "pyramid" built up in your black tank. Sure hope not because that is NOT easy to remedy. When you have the flush turned on do you hear the tank flush working within your black tank? How much water do you use when using the facility? A lot of water is needed to keep the tank from building up the pyramid! RidX makes an RV tank cleaner now if you can find it and putting it in the tank may help to break up any possible deposit in it. Also one of those wands that they make to flush black tanks might help also. I normally turn on the tank flush and let it run about 5 minutes before dumping the black tank and then dump it; close the valve and let the flush work again for another 10 minutes or so then repeat this process several more times till the dump hose runs clear water out of it. I do have one of the clear add-ons to the main dump line so it makes it a lot easier to see the clear water running. I use Happy Camper in the tanks after every dump and also put in some TSP90 in the tank before rolling down the road to the next stop to clean the tank good then dump again when I get to the next CG.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
No fittings on vent pipes...you might have felt the tank flex as these tanks are thin. If you don't have at least a half full bowl when flushing paper, then pyramid is possible. In your case you probably have one and the black tank rinse isn't going to get rid of it. That brown paper mache mountain will need some serious intervention, maybe more than a hose down the bowl with tank drain open. Plan on spending a day to correct. John
Old 08-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Thank you both for the advice. I believe you have both hit the nail on the head. I bought this used and this is our first year as seasonal campers with it. When I flush the tank I run the cleaner for about five minutes but it has always run clear. The fact the I have to dump the tank every four days with only two of us using the camper makes me think there is a lot of solids not flushing out. On the way now to the local hardware store for some Ridex and a car washing or power wash wand. I will let the Ridex sit over night and wand it tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
From what I have been told, do not use the standard septic tank version of Ridex. It will eat the seals in the valves. There is allegedly an RV version of Ridex. I higly reccommend a microbiotic like TankTechsRX, pour it in, fill the tanks, let it sit for a day and then dump. Check them out at www.tanktechs.com

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
I couldn't find the RV Ridex, but did buy a bottle of Unique RV Digest It. It is a micro-biologic liquid that claims to dissolve major clogs when the whole quart is used at once overnight. I also have a fitting to connect to the drain pipe that will take a garden hose for a back flush. Between those two and the internal tank rinse I am "cautiously hopeful".

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carl n susan

From what I have been told, do not use the standard septic tank version of Ridex. It will eat the seals in the valves. There is allegedly an RV version of Ridex. I higly reccommend a microbiotic like TankTechsRX, pour it in, fill the tanks, let it sit for a day and then dump. Check them out at www.tanktechs.com
X 2, on TankTechsRX
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
I have always used the standard Riddex.......just a small amount after dumping and have never had any problems. Always add a little Dawn dish soap a couple of days before dumping.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
That Unique RV Digest is a good alternative. Similar to TankTechRX, slightly cheaper and available on Amazon Prime. I actually have been using it recently for normal tank operation.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote