Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vmoore1

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Hey Seahunter, you could call this place and see if they got what you need.
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/catego...lly-valve-kits
Thanks Vince, I'll check it out!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #22
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

I had the flexible braided 6" steal extenders on my rear wheels, after rotating the tires, I put these extenders back on and drove about 230 miles to a CG. Somewhere along the line, 1 on the inside and 1 on the outside came off the rim and the end of the extension was ground off somehow.

So, we had 2 flat tires for an unknown amount of time driving the 230 miles.

I had the tires checked and metal valve stems installed on all 6 tires.

I also have the solid metal valve stems extensions, 2 U shaped and 2 straight(4 inches long) so I can still reach them to check the pressure.
Was this installation done at a national tire company?
No, they were installed by me, could have been operator error.....
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #23
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
TPMSs are a safety requirement established by the NHTSA after the vehicle rollover deaths caused by Firestone tire failures.

Vehicles with dual rear wheels, because of the minimum risk of having two tires fail on one side did not require TPMS on the dual tires. Here is an excerpt from that ruling. Some of this specific ruling was also influenced by the cost to the transportation industry of maintaining the system:

Consistent with the Second Circuit#65533;s opinion, FMVSS No. 138 requires new passenger cars, multi-purpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 4,536 kg (10,000 pounds) or less, except those with dual wheels on an axle, to be equipped with a TPMS to alert the driver when one or more of the vehicle#65533;s tires, up to a total of all four tires, is significantly under-inflated. Specifically, the TPMS must warn the driver when the pressure in one or more of the vehicle#65533;s tires is 25 percent or more below the vehicle manufacturer#65533;s recommended cold inflation pressure, or a minimum level of pressure specified in the standard, whichever pressure is higher. (We note that in response to a petition for rulemaking by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers (Alliance) and that organization#65533;s subsequent, related comments on the NPRM, we have decided, as an interim measure, to modify our minimum activation pressure (MAP) values for some light truck tires under the standard. Once the agency conducts further safety research, we will either confirm or propose to modify these MAP requirements in response to that petition. )

You can read the entire document here:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...rule.6.html#II
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

49 CFR Parts 571 and 585

[Docket No. NHTSA 2005-20586]

RIN 2127-AJ23

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems;
Controls and Displays
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #24
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
....so i think, adding them to duals, after market, will get you into the challenge that was the reason they were compromised out of the ruling by the NHTSA.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #25
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks fauch, very interesting information.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
thanks seahunter, i had dug into this in the past, when asking my local Ford dealer, why TPMS was not required on dual wheel trucks