Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
What are your most FAV web sites for travel days

So, Flyin J has a web site (well, last time I looked they did)

I know there are others, but the question of the day, is what are YOUR favorite web sites for days on the road, or pre-planning days.

Google maps??

what else??

please give URL's (hint, URL's tend to make the screen go funky wild wide, so, use the advanced posting methods, not the quick thingy at the bottom of the page, and if you must, highlight the URL, go to SIZE on 4th line where it says FONT, SIZE and COLOR, and reduce that highlighted area to "1")

here is what a small URL will look like:

http://www.reflectionsfromthefence.com/2010/10/proposed-and-hoped-for-trip-trip-of.html

Please do reduce the size of that URL, so the admins and moderators don't hate me! LOL

Looking forward to hearing what sites you favor.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have started using MS Street and Trips and it links me to BING Maps

I have used Passport America also.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Not a website but I use Trailer Life Campground Directory Navigator as my main tool for planning a trip. Plan my route and I can see what campgrounds are along my route and easily add them as stop-overs. Other websites are AAA, Goodsam, Loves, Bings maps, Flying J, mapQuest, Roadside America, Google and www.sportsmanatlas.com. all of which I use as needed.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We always have our copy of "Next Exit" in the truck.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Ditto on the Next Exit book!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
These are the three main sites that I use when planning a long trip.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gassta...?zip=&src=Netx
http://maps.google.com/
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks everyone, keep em coming!

Rich, off topic, I SO LOVE that new graphic of yours! I broke out in a loud and long giggle! I so relate! Back on topic.

Again, thanks for the responses, and yes, Exit is in Big Butt!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Carol -
I use multiple tools - Delorme, www.woodallls.com, Next Exit, the CD from the Woodalls book and several Ipad tools. Those include RVParking and RV Companion which are both free after you pay $500 for your Ipad. I also have the spiral Truckers Atlas and a Garmin 1690 with RV park, Dunkin Donut and Low CleArance waypoints added in. But usually I only use those things while I'm driving.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #9
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Steves,
I see you use the Trailer Life Campground Directory Navigator. I ordered the new version coming out in Dec/Jan. The new one supposedly has a GPS feature and you hook up your laptop (USB) to GPS antenna. You can then use the laptop as a navigation tool. Does your version do the same and, if so, have you used it? Comments? Thanks!
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Captain Joe,

My OLD OLD version (2007) of Trailer Life program and it says it will use the GPS, however, it did not come with a "hockey puck" as Al calls it, AND, it will not work with the GPS sending unit that I use for Microsoft Streets & Trips.

So, I would need to run two pucks if I want to use both programs that way?? Did not want to go there, so, I use S & T on the GPS, and Trailer Life sans GPS.

I need that 2011 version NOW, and not sure how I am going to manage picking up a copy when we are moving around so much this winter. SIGHHH

Isn't that a nasty problem to have to deal with??
Old 11-20-2010, 06:26 AM   #11
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Carol, I would have it shipped two-day priority to the longest place that you will be staying. If you want, you can have it shipped to me and I will mail it to you when you have a relatively stable location.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
From MapSource (came with my Garmin) I can rightclick and select google maps where it allows me to do a street view of many areas. I've used that to see if we can get into a Walmart parking lot for a grocery stop, for example, and to take a quick look at an rv park we're planning to visit.

I also like to check the weather forecast at our destination as well as current location.

If we're going to be in one place for awhile I'll google to see what attractions, restaurants, etc. are in the area.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Captain Joe

You said and suggested:

"Carol, I would have it shipped two-day priority to the longest place that you will be staying. If you want, you can have it shipped to me and I will mail it to you when you have a relatively stable location."

I sure do appreciate that offer. I can have my daughter-in-lawd do that overnight mail thing if I get desperate enough! LOL

Seriously, that is a nice offer. Thanx
Old 12-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Carol,

Here's one of my favs

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/store/Search.aspx
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I like to look and plan the trips using “Google Maps” I really enjoy the close up views especially to get an idea of what I can expect as I go through an area. I know every place can’t be looked at due to the time it would take but it has helped me tremendously in the past. I also use a GPS on the road and I use a campground directory before and during a trip if needed. The GPS and Google Maps pretty much plan out the same route. I also keep a road Atlas handy along with a book called “The Next Exit” I really like the information it has.