Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Question when you purchased your unit?

Hello All I think this has been asked before but has been some time. When you purchased your Fifth Wheel, how much time did the Tech or whoever showed you around your unit take with you? Did they give you any material on the basic operation of things like landing gear and dump station and such? Did they tell you basic maintenance and that at least once a year to check all roof seams and vents etc? I would appreciate imput to how much you were or were not told. Thanks for any help that you can give. This is only for my own personal information is not going to be used for any other purpose.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
The fellow who did the "walk through" at our dealer spent about an hour with us...he was more than willing to answer any of our questions, so I am thinking that time could have easily tripled if we were not so overwelmed at the time...could not think of anything else to ask at the time. The dealership and Keystone have been very helpful (except for questions about Marathon tires) in addressing any issues/questions we have had since. We got materials on most features of the fifth wheel at the time of delivery and have been able to get anything missing, like the manual for the charger/converter, with little difficulty. Regarding maintenance, the owner's manual is pretty informative in that regard and what is not clear, Keystone has be helpful with explanations.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Our dealer gave us as long as we wanted. We did a pre-inspection of about 4 hours, and then did a 3 hour inspection with the service Tech. Make sure to use a PDI sheet and go over each item on it. Make sure to add the suspension to your PDI and have the service tech check the torque of of each bolt and nut to insure that it is to manufacture specifications. One week after we had our brand new Montana home and out practicing backing in a large parking lot we had a spring shackle plate fall off. This was not on our PDI. We have never had a problem with any of the items we had checked on the PDI.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
My dealer spent more time than they anticipated thanks to the pre-delivery inspection sheet H. John Kohl advised me to use. You can find a copy on this forum.
They were willing to answer any questions I asked but I'm sure it depends on the individual buying the unit and how involved they intend to become with annual maintenance.
Probably my biggest concern when I took delivery was that no one from the factory thru the dealership bothered to document model and serial numbers of all the items included in the trailer and all owners manuals were just thrown into one of the kitchen draws. I had to get several manuals from the internet and still dont have anything on the roof top ac.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
We spendt about 3 hours with the tech. We have owned about 5 new units in our lifetime. Sometimes I think we know more than the tech?
Been very happy with our present dealer, although the service dept could improve by returning my phone call.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Our dealer, Lazy Days in Tampa, put us in a special delivery lot, and let us first transfer all our stuff from the pop up into the Big Sky. Then they gave us about 2 hours with a tech walking us through every detail imaginable. After that we were allowed to spend the night right there on the lot. The next morning they were back to see what other questions we had. Of course at that point we had some warranty issues right away, and they were addressed. It was a great way to break into the larger RVing world!We have some friends who went to them last week and bought their first travel trailer, and when they pick it up this week they will have the same experience. Bottom line for us is Lazy Days is a great dealership!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

Our dealer gave us as long as we wanted. We did a pre-inspection of about 4 hours, and then did a 3 hour inspection with the service Tech.
Same here. During our own pre-inspection, I carried a notebook and made a list of questions to ask...then wrote down the tech's answers before I forgot them.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We video taped our walk through and then I transfered it to a DVD and put it in the trailer. The video came in handy as I suffer from CRS.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Our walk through was about an hour long. Had we not been long time rvers and members of this forum we would have been overwhelmed with info.

The dealership somehow schedualed 5 new rv pick-ups that day and they were straight out.

Our previous Montana (different dealer) was approx 2hrs in length.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had an "Operational" walk around, much like a preflight inspection of an aircraft. Lasted about two hours. I wish I had known about the PDI that so many have listed on this website, however, we did stay in town for two weeks to get used to the lifestyle and transfer things from home to RV. We had a few more questions and I bent an awning arm while set up. The dealer took care of things, then we left town for good and have not looked back since. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A FULL DAY OF INSPECTION WITH A UNIT THIS LARGE AND INVOLVED. Give your dealer a copy of the PDI and let him know that these are the things you will be looking at when you pick up your trailer. I think several hours alone to check fit and finish and make notes, then the rest of the time with a tech to check operations of everything. Then a short stay nearby to run things for awhile before leaving town. Remember to check all electrical items several times during this time and try and fill your tanks and empty them to make sure no leaks before getting out of town. One need only read this forum to see the myriad of things that can, not always, go wrong. I'm not sure there is such thing as a perfect unit, but I think Keystone comes pretty close. (After all, these things are built by hand). BTW. this is our first RV of ANY kind, I have learned much in the last three years, mostly due to this forum. Thanks to all that contribute.......You have definitely made my life on the road a lot easier........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I too used the PDI checklist that I got from this forum and am glad I did. Our dealer (RV America in Aurora, Colorado) missed at least 10 things that I caught using the checklist. I'm willing to believe that they don't use a checklist. I even caught a umbilical power cord that had been ripped from the junction box next to the pin box that they missed. I had specifically (in writing) asked them to correct 2 problems when we purchased the unit 2 weeks before delivery and they never even touched them. I envy those of you with good delivery experiences. These guys were only interested in getting the unit pushed out the door. They had 4 other deliveries scheduled for that day. My wife and I had to sit inside the unit while they washed the roof. It was filthy. We paid cash for the unit and wish we had bought elsewhere.
Sorry if I am rambling but purchasing a $50k+ unit and getting sub par service and treatment just gets my goat. I'll never take my RV back to these bozos.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
Our walk thru was around an hour or so. What questions we had about the operation of the sewer and jacks were answered fully and the tech told us some of things that he had seen happening with the trailers. Case in point, the front jacks popping the breaker if you bring them up too far. I have them marked, so I don't have to worry about the breaker. It's the little things.
KardRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
two 4 hour days. First day the unit was set up and powered up in the dealers lot. Just me and the PDI list.We went over it with a fine tooth comb listing all defects large and small and even smaller.
gave the list to the dealer and said when these are corrected let me know. (no papers had yet been signed) 2 week later we were back for the real PDI. All defects had been corrected. We drove out of the dealers lot with zero defects.Six months later we burst into flames in quartzsite. So what does it all mean....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
ouch! With ours they spent about 2 hours then we spent the night and found a couple problems with electrical ect. They attempted to fix them the next morning but I ended up fixing the electrical problems when we got to our destination and I had some time. All in all so far has been pretty trouble free. I keep my fingers crossed all the time. I feel that quality control at the Keystone plants could use some improvement but as always anything that is made by humans can be fickle!
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Our PDI was a somewhat strained experience, they sent a "tech" to walk us through that had started work for the dealer that morning and had zero, zip, nada, RV experience. He had been walked through an RV that morning for the first time and was told what to show customers. I had not signed the final papers on the rig and when I found that out I excused myself and went in to the sales manager and told him to get that guy the hell out of my soon to be rig and send out someone who knew something about RV's. The Sales Manager went ballistic and he walked us through and spent all the time we needed. His actions really salvaged the situation. (Seems servvce performs the PDI not sales).

We were fortunate that the unit was perfect as you could find for delivery and by the time we left we were happy campers. So far, 5 years later, the unit has never had any major problems and has really been a good rig.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Our first TT was about two hours. The 5th wheel was an hour and we spent the night there and left the next morning. The "tech" on the 5th wheel was not very techie if you know what I mean. Luckily the majority of the systems were the same, both keystones, so there was not really a need for a long time going over the operation of everything. Most of the time the manuals are a much better source of information. Knowing what I know now I would have stayed another night in the dealers lot. Cant really tell how well everything works in a few hours.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Our first PDI was quite lengthy, almost 6 hours. And, after 4 years (and buying a Big Sky elsewhere), we are still their number one customer, per the service manaqer, just because we asked questions and listened to the answers. When the answers didn't seem accurate, we questioned these and so on.

Also, if you ask Keystone, you can get the "build sheet" which contains all of the major component serial and model numbers.

Our second PDI took only about 2 hours (in a blizzard and we wanted to get out of OK City). But, by this time, we were pretty confident about what we would and would not accept.

Hope this helps...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We spent about 3 hours on our PDI. We also gave the dealer the PDI checklist we would be using before we actually did our walk through. This gave them the opportunity to go through the rig and look at the specifics we would be looking at. After staying in the rig for 2 nights at their campground we only found a few items that needed to be addressed. There were some things we asked the tech that he didn't know the answers to, but he did find the answers for us.

Jack
Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 AM   #19
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
We bought our Mountaineer from Mike Thompsons RV in Los Angeles but wanted factory delivery so the factory arranged for Fox RV in Middlebury, IN to look after us. They actually picked the unit up a couple of weeks before we got there and did a pre-delivery and then when we got there they spent a couple of hours with us initially but we ended up staying on their lot for 5 nights as we were waiting on registration plates to arrive and Fox RV were great. It gave us an opportunity to learn lots (especially as we were first time RVers) and they fixed a couple of minor problems as we found them. We then left the Mountaineer there as we had to go home and they looked after it until we got back 7 weeks later. We then spent another 3 nights there before heading off on our big adventure. I cannot speak highly enough of Larry Fox and his team at Fox RV. If anyone is in the Elkhart County area and needs service I strongly recommend Fox RV. http://www.foxrv.us/
KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #20
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
I have been reading this forum for over 5 years and went thru the PDI on our new Montana 3400RL. I do not recall seeing any hint that one way to try and cover operational and maintenance items on our units, which we try to remember via the PDI, is a DVD produced by Keystone that would go with each unit. The layouts are different but I suspect the basic items are the same for all the trailers (stove, refrig, AC, holding tanks, slideouts, etc).
I believe the result would be that you could concentrate during the PDI on items that don't work or need repairing, and not take as much time on how things work. Plus you would have the DVD to review questions you have later. The manual that came with our unit was published a number of years ago and did not cover some of the new items that had been added to our trailers since then.
Just a thought

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote