Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
GPS question

I would like to buy a gps unit so my wife can take the laptop off of her lap,I was going to buy the garmin 350,then saw the 650 on sale at costco.I was using streets and trips where I could avoid certain areas and the program would route me around the areas like city streets and conjested areas.My understanding is garmin doesn't do this but there are some tom toms that do.I would appreciate any help in this matter.

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am not sure that is true. I have used the computer based GPS and now have Garminn 660 Nuvi and find it far better than the old system. More experienced GPS guys will be along for specifics.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I also had a laptop system and as you know when windows messes up you have to reboot, try doing that going down the road, not fun. So I bought a Garmin C340 and that was the best investment I ever made . You have to make sure the unit you are looking has the antenna built in, some require you to hook up an outside one. The main difference between your's and mine is blue tooth for you phone. Let me know if you have any other questions.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have the TomTom 720 and love it. Of course, it's the only one I am familiar with. It is supposed to route you around construction that it know of, but I was in Houston last week and it did not route me around the construction on the side streets. It did get me to where I wanted to go, even though I had to take those unfamiliar detours. It just gets you right back on track.

My son and brother have the same model and we can keep track of each other once signed up for the service.

Semper Fi!

p.s., I also ran Streets and Trips. Traded it in for Co-pilot because Co-pilot gives you overpass elevations. But, so doesn't the Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas. Streets and Trips is more friendly than Co-pilot.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
Garyka
I have the Garmin 660 and love it. It has a few more "bells & whistle" than the 350

To answer your question about routing around a city. The 660 has a mode where you can be a pedestrian, car, truck. When pulling I use the truck mode as it will avoid cities when it can take fwy around them. Also avoids bad narrow mountains roads when a better route is available. Another mode you select either Fastest, Shortest . From what I have found, it likes R turns better than L ( which I love). You could make your own route via point to point.

There is also a traffic/accident avoidance that routes you around these situations but it is only available in a few large cities and also cost $3.95 per month.
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We also have the C-340 Garmin, and is one of the best gides we ever had his name is Jack,we had Jill, and Karen from Austraila to much acent. HA HA. But the C340 is now sitting in the back seat they have all these newer ones comming out that do so much more, when our c-340 dies we will get a new one.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
We have a TOM Tom XL. We used it for navigation from Fl to Tn and return, it worked remarkably well, even getting us back on course after detours. We just returned from a trip to Ma via I 95 and a return to Fl through Pa, De, staying west of the congested and constuction prone east coast routing.

My "navigator" really likes the XL and its' ease of programming. The Tom Tom XL does not appear to be as complicated as some more sophisticated units.

John and Val
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Garyka -

I just checked the Garmin website to double check, but the Nuvi models do have route avoidance - including the Nuvi 200 which is their basic model. I picked up a Nuvi 200 for a Christmas present on Black Friday for $169. GPS units are like TV's and floorplans - everyone has an opinion. Garmin has been around in the U.S. for a long time and is and has been one of the top choices for pilots. Tom Tom is bigger in Europe (being a Dutch company - Garmin is a U.S. company). I am getting a Nuvi 680 from my wife for Christmas. This will be my fourth Garmin unit. They have great support. But, I think like TV's, find one that suits you at the right price and you'll be happy.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:17 AM   #9
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have the Magellas Roadmate and it reroutes you when it determines re your speed that you are in a traffic jam. Also if you detour off the route it will automatically re route you from your current path. This is our second Magellan and we love it. Simple to use and maps for all of US and most of Canada are already installed. Just plug it in and go.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #10
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
We bought the Garmin C-340 from Circuit City on Black Friday, $199.99. Best deal ever. This is a discontinued model. It speaks the streets. The replaceable model now is the C-350. It has bluetooth technology and is $200.00 more. The C-340 is still available on some of the Webb sites for around $200.00 but they are refurbished. Nothing wrong with them. Most are returned units because the consumer wanted a better model. Once the unit is sold, it can not be sold again as new again so it goes as a refurbished model. My daughter has one and she thinks it is great. The box and it looked brand new on arrival. This is what the company that they ordered it from told them.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I can set areas and roads and road segments to avoid on my garmin 2720. I also can do it in mapsource and then upload the route to the garmin.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:34 AM   #12
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
This is my next project.I have been using micro-soft s&t,it's a great program for trips with the low clearence,walmarts,flying j's etc.data.I purchased the garmin 650 with the sd card option so I can get the laptop off my dw lap with the cables to free up her space.I know there is a way to do the trip on micro-soft s&t and upload it to the garmin.The problem is me I'm not real good at learning new things on the computer.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:54 AM   #13
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have used the DeLorme Street Atlas and the Topo USA for the past 3 years with a DeLorme Handheld GPS for geocaching. We would not go anywhere without it. As we travel the Dell laptop has the DeLorme running and keeps us on track. Great for going to and from Alaska--we had really good Canadian road maps on the system. My only recommendation is to stay with one manufacturer for the laptop and handheld GPS to avoid any problems. We like DeLorme but I am sure Garmin and others are just as good.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:54 AM   #14
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
We have a Garmin NUVI 660. It works great! You can only one way point between destinations but this is easily avoided by other means. We used it on a trip of 3000 plus miles round trip without a glitch.
lcarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote