Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Montana heating duct...

Hi all,
When we picked up the Monty we noticed that the first heating register in the main heating duct in the kitchen did not throw any heat, in fact it was creating a downdraft. We discovered that the second had a little heat and the last had most of the heat. We pulled the register cover and discovered that it had no heating-fins and since the duct is about 3" deep by 12" wide without a dampener, all the heat is going to the back of the line in the living room. We had the dealer replace the kitchen register with a residential type with two fins but that is not working quite right since the housing is too deep and fins do not catch much hot air going past it.
I am wondering if anyone else has noticed what I am talking about and found a solution for it. We contacted he dealer and they the Keystone sales rep and waiting on reply. I think this is a wide spread problem since I noticed that all other Montanas in dealers lots were done the same.
Any insight would be appreciated and hopefully alerted a few fellow MOCs.

ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
You could get the residential type registers and close the last one the most, then the middle one 1/2 as much and leave the first one in line open. This method should balance out the air flow. You may have to play with the adjustments to get it the way you like it but it should work.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Same problem with the duct in the living room. Took a piece of aluminum flashing and curled one end and placed it about half way down into the duct. Stuck the other end under the carpet and register at a 90 degree angle to hold it in place. Left approx. 2" on each side of the flashing down in the duct to allow for plenty of air to pass through to the last two registers. Worked like a charm.

Curt
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Doug,
That is what I told the rv tech at the dealer. He came back with " these furnaces are balanced just so, don't mess with the air flow". I would think that they worked like residential furnaces where you can add dampeners to divert air flow.
I like the suggestion that Curt made. I think that would work. We got a residential type with two fins now but we keep touching the adjusting lever when we walk around. Would be good to have something below surface and keep original flat cover. When I get my Monty back I will try a couple pieces of different depths. Of course I probably wont need much heat starting next week. LOL
Old 02-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
The tech was blowing smoke. You cannot balance a system unless you have balancing dampers installed. cs413's method will work for scooping air into the register, but may rattle if it is not heavy gauge material.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
You gotta love them dealers!! Balanced....Right! I had the same furnace in a TT that was 6' shorter with the same size registers and 1 less register. No way it can be perfectly balanced. It's hot in the bedroom and cool in the kitchen. However I will say it is better since getting rid of the remote stat and installing the CCC. But there is still a temp. difference from front to back. That's a lot of duct for a 35,000 btu blower to cover. But it does a pretty good job, especially since I got some heat in the living room. I do plan to get an adjustable register for the bedroom. It just gets too hot sometimes. Don't feel bad - my dealer said my last truck would handle the Monty with no problems. Make a long story short.....another truck payment and 5 more years to retirement!LOL.
No regrets - love the Monty and truck.

Curt
Old 02-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
I have a simple solution to adjusting the heat level. I keep a carpet over the vent in the kitchen area. At night I cover the heat vent in the bedroom with my jeans or shirt. (Just a good excuse for not picking up my laundry until morning) This keeps the heat managable int he bedroom. Also, during the day I run the ceiling fan on low. This helps balance the heat in the living area. My last unit (a Sprinter 5er) had a heat vent directly under the thermostat. Caused the heat to cycle on and off constantly. That is when I learend the carpet trick. I eventuall replaced the vent with an adjustable vent that I kept closed. Other than that I am very happy with the performance of the furnace. I winter dry camp. It was 0 and 20 mph winds last week and I am able to keep it very comfortable inside. I like the idea of adding difusers in the ductwork. Sounds easy. Anyway, stay warm
mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Doug's right...the tech was blowing smoke. The closest outlet on ours was in the bedroom and all the heat was coming out that duct. Bought an adjustable floor grill from Lowes and now have a more uniform air flow through out the the trailer.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Does anyone know if the bedroom vent is a branch off the main duct or a separate duct coming off a heat box by the furnace or off the furnace?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I also have the problem with the register in front of the refrigerator. Ours has broken up and the bars have broken which has left a hole. I took out the back one and keystone is supposedly to be sending me one. we keep it covered also with the rug. If the heat goes to the rear of the camper and the fresh air is pulled from under the steps it should warm back to the grill that pulls fresh air. Also the one in the bed room comes from the furnace and not the duct that feeds the main one. We also block it at night so the bed room keeps cooler. I have seen better designs in heating systems. Do they have anyone there that thinks ahead?
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
ejc1214 - I see you have the mirror on your 06 to help when hitching up. Does it really help that much. I find it pretty easy to hook up even by myself. Of course I used to hook up to a TT, so centering the 5'er is a piece of cake. It's an interesting addition to the new Monty's.

Curt
Old 03-01-2006, 01:54 AM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I find the heat in my unit pretty even if I have my big ceiling fan running on slow.
This could be because the 2955RL is smaller and I really thought the kitchen heat vent was designed to throw less warm air because it is the closest vent to the wall mounted thermostat control and because you almost stand over it when you are cooking.

Anyway, in my model I am happy with less flow in the kitchen , just not sure if it is by design or fluke. Take care, Don
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 AM   #13
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If you don't want to wait for Keystone, here's a place with a few options !!

http://www.dwincorp.com/index.php
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 AM   #14
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Curt,
I am with you on the FW backing up and hooking up. FW is pretty easy to line up. Mirror is there so I peek at it but not necessary. I rater have better registers in the Monty. LOL

Larry, thanks for the link.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:49 AM   #15
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Just went to Lowes and bought an adjustable register for the bedroom. That should help a lot from now on, or at least next winter. Headed for Destin FL. tomorrow through next Tuesday. Maybe it will be cool enough to run the heat a couple more nights. Can't wait to get in the Monty!

Curt
Old 03-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #16
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
The registers with dampers are probably the fastest and cheapest solution to redirect the airflow. The Home depot has about 40 different models.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 AM   #17
beliveauj
Established Member

M.O.C. #5114
On our 3670 we have almost no heat in the bedroom and the most in the back vent.
beliveauj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:18 AM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Question on the topic.
If the front room vent is blowing more air than all the rest, why cant a person just swap the hoses around at the plenum and rout the most air to the longest run, I would think that that would need the most air for that long of a push.

TT2
Old 03-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #19
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Don-
On my heating system there are two hoses coming out of the furnace. The small one, about 2-1/2" in diameter is directed into the underbelly for heating the tanks and water system. The other, about 4" in diameter is tied into the main floor duct that runs the length of the trailer and the connection was made next to the bedroom outlet, therefore the majority of the air flow would exit in the first outlet until I installed the adjustable vent to pinch it off and force the air towards the opposite end of the trailer.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Oh it's not like a house than, How about those registers that have the directional luvers that can be closed down and reduce the flow of air. it's just a thought.

TT2