Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
wat42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4557
Going West, need info

Heading to Yellowstone from Ohio area after July 4th, will be traveling I90, not I80. Due to medical reasons, wasn't sure we could make trip. Do not have camping reservations. Any suggestions for places to stop along the way, campgrounds or is there any free overnight camping allowed on I90 or places off I90. Would like to stay a week at campground near Yellowstone, not necessarily in Yellowstone, don't mind driving back and forth if you have suggestions. We do have a generator, any free camping spots along the way? Have not been able to get plans made like I wanted. Your input is appreciated. Taking a small 21' travel trailer and F250 Diesel truck, any road problems I should be aware of. Will be going on trip for 8-12 weeks, going to some of the other national parks, Cody, Salt Lake City, Grand Canyon, Texas and then heading back on Southern route. Do not have to hurry so any info will be appreciated. Also, anyone stay at Wal-Marts or the truck stops? Where do you get water if you don't stay at campgrounds? Thank you.

wat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We do a lot of free overnight camping and so we belong to this group: www.overnightrvparking.com
Have used it back and forth across the country for a number of years now and since we also contribute new places and review others that haven't been reviewed in a while we get our membership extended for free often.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #3
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
You asked about Wal-Mart or truck stops.
I have stayed at both overnight before. Most Flying J's are RV friendly. Noisy though. Wal-Mart worked out well for an overnighter. Just park waaaaaay out in the north forty. No awning, no chairs, don't look like you are camping. Buy something at the store while you are there. As far as water goes, put water in your fresh water tank. Judge for yourself how much you need till you get to a campground.
I too have a trip planned similar to yours. Starting in OH then SD, WY, WA, CA, NV, AZ, NM, MO, TN then home.
Safe travels.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If you want full hookups, the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone is very nice. Cross country ski trail at edge of CG that is good for hiking/walking. Walking distance to restaurants downtown.
Depending on lenght, there aren't many places in Yellowstone itself.
A nice place to stop in Montana is Lewis and Clark Caverns state park. It is just off I-90 a few miles and mostly north of Gardner (N entrance to Yellowstone). Cool hike into cave, nice campground, etc.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you go through Dubois Wy my favorite place in the state is Union Pass. It's about 10 miles north of Dubois turn left on a gravel road for another 10 miles. With a 21 foot trailer an easy pull to 9300 feet elevation. Miles of roads lots of trout streams and lakes. I think the prettiest place in the state. Google Union Pass Wy.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
Not specifically familiar with I90 route, but we have "Walmart Overnight Parking Locator" and "Cracker Barrel" Applications on our smart phone - find them on the App Store Free. These two sources list locations and phone numbers for both. The application lists the Walmart reviews for parking also. We call both Cracker Barrel and Walmart to ask. As mentioned, we don't use slides, put out chairs, or look like we are camping; mission is to sleep, eat, buy something (wife loves this part!).

Never a problem staying at any Cracker Barrel. Some Walmarts particularly around certain cities don't allow parking. I still have parked at them for a few hours to sleep, while my wife happily shops

I just took a look, and there are many Walmarts along I90 that allow parking according to my application.

Also, highway rest areas with good truck parking are great for us. Finally, travel centers with good truck parking work well. Pilot, Loves, Flying J, 24/7, etc. We just tuck in between some trucks and sleep.

On select trips we will take 1/3 to 1/2 tank of fresh water and then manage our water usage; that means a quick "Army type" shower - no soaking Then about every 3d day we stop at a RV park to dump tanks and recharge fresh water. We have Honda Generators that ride forward of my hitch that are very quiet and allow us to run 1 AC if needed when parked at a rest area.

Enjoy the trip!

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ, 6.6L Duramax 4WD, CC, LB, SRW with Allison Transmission
Bill.vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
We came across 90 on this trip to west yellowstone. Grizzly in west yellowstone looks good. We stayed at a koa five miles out of w.y. on route 20 years ago and currently at yellowstone mountainside koa, 7.5 miles from w.y. on route 20 this trip. Before this campground, we were at 7th Ranch RV in garryowen, south dakota to tour little bighorn battlefield. Before that, we were at Mountain View RV in Sundance, Wy to visit Devils Tower. Before that, we stayed at Custers Gulch RV Resort outside Custer City, SD to tour Crazy Horse monument, mt rushmore, etc. Stayed in Wall, SD before that at Sleepy Hollow Campground to tour Badlands park and Minuteman National historic site. Before that was Sioux Falls, SD at Sioux Falls koa (little noisy). Don't know if any of those are stopping places for you. There are lots of campgrounds aound the black hills area if you don't wish to drive that far off the interstate. As far as Yellowstone park goes, be prepared for lots of people. We tried for three days to see old faithful and other geysers in that section. Finally found out that touring that section after five thirty allowed us to find parking and do the geyers there. After Yellowstone, you can tour the tetons if that is an interest or you can go over to hit interstate 15 to see salt lake, then zion in southern utah. Williams,az is good area to stay in to see grand canyon and there are many campgrounds there. John
Old 06-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Can't help with coming east on I-90, but I'll agree with Grizzly in West Yellowstone. One of the nicer campgrounds around, as far as I'm concerned. I understand that there are some national forest campgrounds north of there, but have no experience with them. Yellowstone park itself is VAST. Be sure to allow enough time to see everything. This time of year, everything willbe pretty crowded, so start making reservations early.

Drive safe, and have a great trip!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:40 AM   #9
belldog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4165
We are going West to Yellowstone region in Aug. Have res at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone it is nice . I would recommend Longhorn RV near Dubois Wy full hookups
belldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:47 AM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Grizzly is nice and easy fun to the park
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
Lee & Ruth
Established Member

M.O.C. #22240
Try staying in West Yellowstone.
Lee & Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #12
Lee & Ruth
Established Member

M.O.C. #22240
Also Hebgen Lake.
Lee & Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #13
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Not for nothin', but the original post is dated over 2 years ago. Just sayin'.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote