Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Do you think I have a problem?

I was washing the Montana this morning and this is what I found. I will be contacting Customer Service tomorrow and will let you all know what comes of it.

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Where's that at Doug?
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Doug can you get a further away pict? I can't tell for sure where this is at. Have you been traveling lately on any rough roads? Frame flex is the only reason I can see for that.

*On Edit~ What's that look like on the back side, Doug?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Ouch!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Will be very interested in the response you get from Keystone...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
It is the top rear corner of the bedroom slide.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Dave, the last time I traveled was to Quartzsite and then down to Tombstone and back home. I5 was the worst road. I do not see any sign of the crack on the inside, so it may be just a surface crack. I am tempted to drill a small hole into the surface at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading because I am getting ready to leave for two weeks.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Yes you need to get that fixed. I hope it will be done for no charge by Keystone.
Keep us posted and good luck. I have no idea what a repair like that would cost but on a newer unit like yours, Keystone should step up to the plate and keep you as a satisfied customer.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have emailed the customer service about the problem, and I will follow up with a phone call tomorrow. I cannot let this go to long as it will only get worse.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

I was washing the Montana this morning and this is what I found. I will be contacting Customer Service tomorrow and will let you all know what comes of it.
Doug,
That is a stress fracture of the fiberglass. We had the identical problem with our 2000 Montana. In 2003, Keystone repaired it at no cost to me. Ours was cracked there, the lower right corner, and the lower left corner. Needless to say I was "distressed" (no pun intended) so I had my dealer (Ketelsen RV) look at it. They noted that Keystone was repairing those things at no cost, although they, Ketelsens, were knowledgeable about the repair. But since I was going to Goshen, IN anyway for the Escapees Escapade, we called Keystone Customer Service. They asked me when I could be there and set up an appointment for me. It was all done at no cost to me even though the unit was more than two years out of warranty.

Doug, if you'll notice, that fiberglass is in one complete sheet and the cracks appear at the point in the chassis that is subjected to the most stress on the chassis. It appears that it might be one of the more flexing areas.

Since it has been repaired I have had no more problems and I tow this thing 20,000 miles a year. Either have your dealer fix it or call Keystone Customer Service. Keep us apprised of the results.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
To make sure that it isn't something more serious, when you have the 5W on the hitch and no weight on the landing gear, check to see that there is no seperation/movement along the molding on the sides on the bottom, especially where the frame bends downward past the hitchpin.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:58 AM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I just got off the line with the Keystone service representative and Keystone authorized up to $650.00 for the repair. They could not have given better service.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:09 AM   #13
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Now I am even more impressed with Keystone. They called me to tell me that they have contacted the local Montana dealer and have asked them to do the repairs. I did not buy the unit from this dealer, but thanks to Keystone they will take care of it. We are set up to have it repaired May 10th and have it back in time for the May Rally at Lake Siskiyou.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wow, that's encouraging! It sounds like the "old" Keystone, the one that we dealt with while in Alaska. Where have they been lately?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #15
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Yes, they do sound like the Keystone that is #1.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:34 AM   #16
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Mine just came back from the factory from a little doctor's visit. I now have an expansion joint at all 4 corners of the bedroom slide. I was told that the crack that developed in the lower left corner ( I already had the joint put on the lower right) was from a water leak.

My trailer was picked up to go back for some warranty items and the guys at the factory fixed things that were on my list and fixed many other things that they found. My rims were rusting and had the paint peeling and I complained that the only time the rig was on the road in bad weather was when they were hauling it to and from the factory. This trip they put 5 new wheels and tires on. They did more than I could have hoped for. I do have a history with them since my trailer has visited the factory every winter since I purchased it. In the begining I had some frame issues and I never got a discouraging word from Keystone. Three times that sent a truck to pick the trailer up in NJ and delivered it back to me.

Kudos to them. I am one happy camper with the service that I am receiving.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Doug, I'm glad to hear they're taking care of you. I know on others they have had the dealer drop the pan under the overhang to check for any problems with the frame in that area that might have caused this. You might make sure your dealer does the same.

All the others I've heard having this problem were older than the 2003 models. Our early 2003 and everything since have an expansion joint at a lower corner of that slide opening. The others did not and they had this problem. That makes me think there might just be a problem causing this one so a check of the frame in the pinbox and overhang area might be a very good idea.

When ours had frame flex up there the dresser would drop a quarter inch where it meets the wall along the front closet when we were hitched up. You could see the caulk line was above the dresser. Unhitched, the line met the dresser. The newer Montanas don't have the same dresser configuration but I think yours is like ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #18
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks for the information Steve. I will have it checked.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #19
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Doug,

Great news, keep us up to date on the repairs. I still am convinced Keystone is number one!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #20
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Doug, great news. I will say that we have been so far very impressed with with both Keystone and our dealer (Blue Crick). We do fulltime and could have reasons to complain, but so far they have been great.....Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote