Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Golf carts

Ok so I’m wondering what’s up with all the golf carts... every campground we have been to in the south almost everyone has a golf cart they drive around on. We even saw a guy driving his WHILE walking his dog. Is this a southern thing? Cause we’ve not seen this phenomen where we were from in the Midwest. Just my curious nature.
Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
It’s pitiful. And I think it is a Southern thing. People go to all levels to have a golf cart. Even on vacation at the beach, they pay $350.00 a week to rent one. We are big bicycle riders and prefer to stay away from the golf cart resorts. I think it’s probably results from being lazy And I’m from the South.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Golf carts

Go to Port Aransas TX during the summer and golf carts are like flies. And I don’t mean “your daddy’s old cushman” - these things are incredible. Just as many carts as cars. I guess I’m jealous. I would love to have one!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I know the original poster was not trying to say people shouldn't be allowed to ride golf carts BUT that is how things get started. First someone says, man there sure are a lot of golf carts around here. Next thing you know some do gooder busy body is trying to ban them.....

You know what I am sick and tired of? People trying to tell other people how to live their lives!!!! You see it everyday in one form or another, don't drink soda, don't use plastic straws etc etc... (oh and don't use the .....).

We don't own a golf cart but I have absolutely ZERO issues if someone else does. We do own a side by side and it really pizzs me off when folks say that only hiking should be allowed in some parks! Just because YOU don't like how someone enjoys their life does not give you the right to shut them down!!! Just because you ride a bike (we do too) does not make you better than a person that rides in a golf cart.

We all desperately need to learn to get along and live and let live!!!......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Wow. Talk about taken everything out of context. Come to Myrtle Beach, SC sometime, you will understand. Where in the posts was someone telling someone how to live their lives? Interesting, to say the least.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We've been wintering in Sun City. AZ, and there are golf carts everywhere, including out on the roads. There are a lot of golf courses around here and people just load up their clubs and head for a golf course, and the carts have a license plate as they are street legal. They even have golf cart parking spaces at the local grocery stores. We purchased a used electric one and it sure is nice in this large park, not having to get into the truck to go visit friends or run to do laundry. Prior to this, we never expected we would ever own a golf cart, but here we are.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Some people need a golf cart for health's sake. Others 'need' them for as yet unfathomable reasons to my thinking.

No, golf carts are not just a southern thing. Our Lake Champlain 'summer home' CG has way too many for, IMHO for the size of the 60 sites. Again, some of the folks need them for health reasons. Others, they have one just to "keep up with the Jonses" since there isn't a golf course within 10 miles.

If it's 'your thing' go for it. Just, PLEASE,keep your speed within reason and don't let way too young kids use them.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
Wow. Talk about taken everything out of context. Come to Myrtle Beach, SC sometime, you will understand. Where in the posts was someone telling someone how to live their lives? Interesting, to say the least.
I'm just saying that is how things get started. One person makes an innocent observation and next thing you know some busy body thinks they have license to start a campaign. Hide and watch, before long someone will say that the government needs to step in and license golf carts, then tax them, then restrict them to special "golf cart paths" you get the idea.....

Just let folks live their lives and you live yours.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I know the original poster was not trying to say people shouldn't be allowed to ride golf carts BUT that is how things get started. First someone says, man there sure are a lot of golf carts around here. Next thing you know some do gooder busy body is trying to ban them.....

You know what I am sick and tired of? People trying to tell other people how to live their lives!!!! You see it everyday in one form or another, don't drink soda, don't use plastic straws etc etc... (oh and don't use the .....).

We don't own a golf cart but I have absolutely ZERO issues if someone else does. We do own a side by side and it really pizzs me off when folks say that only hiking should be allowed in some parks! Just because YOU don't like how someone enjoys their life does not give you the right to shut them down!!! Just because you ride a bike (we do too) does not make you better than a person that rides in a golf cart.

Talk about overreacting.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post

Jim it is time for another Snickers
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #11
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
We would like to have one just to pull the honey wagon to dump in state parks. Since we love bicycle riding, I have really been researching all the electric bicycles. That would be great to have when my wife wants to go further than I do.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is not just a southern thing many permanents at northern CG have golf carts. We have many at our HOA resort here in Florida. The majority of the folks here are senior citizens and many have problems getting around. We have a golf cart .I have a very bad knee the cart gives me mobility. We live in a very large complex the cart cuts down on vehicle use. We also have access to just about every thing we need at a strip mall that is accessible by golf cart . We wife is also a golfer and we live on a golf course .We purchased ours as do most everyone here. Our Golf cart is pretty much our every day transportation around the complex and to stores, and restaurants. It is not street legal although it has lights, turn signals horn.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
What gets me are the 30 somethings driving gas powered carts around at high speeds...like 30's when the park speed is the typical 5 mph. Say something about slowing down and they crank the stereo up to full and throw you the finger as they go by your site multiple times.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #14
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
We got one when we moved my Dad across the street from us. He could not walk from his house to ours so we would pick him up in the golf cart. We would also take him for rides in the area so he could get out and enjoy the outdoors. We have neighbors that will have a fish fry or a simple gathering with the other neighbors. It's a bit far to walk and they don't have much vehicle parking so a golf cart is a perfect solution. There will be several parked at their house. When my wife started having some issues that involved a few surgeries, the golf cart was a great solution. Even though we live in the south, as several have said earlier, for some it is a solution to mobility issues.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #15
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
What gets me are the 30 somethings driving gas powered carts around at high speeds...like 30's when the park speed is the typical 5 mph. Say something about slowing down and they crank the stereo up to full and throw you the finger as they go by your site multiple times.

Those folks are just being A holes and need to be reported.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It actually is getting to be a mid west thing. Many small towns now allow them on the streets and if you went to the Rally last Sept there were a ton of them rented for the week and that was the first year we've ever had them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #17
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Ok to keep the peace here let me clarify my original post... I was not condemning golf carts or the people who use them because I’m sure they all have their own reasons for wanting or needing them. I was simply stating that it was something I had not seen before because I have not spent this much time outside of the MN area before. I was just amazed at how much these things get decked out since I was used to the old fashioned golf course golf carts so everyone just relax and enjoy whatever mode of transportation you choose to use because after all we live in a wonderful country that gives us that choice. Take care and drive safely.
Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #18
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When I was Mayor I vetoed the ordinance to let golf carrs run the streets, mainly because it was hard enough to back out of angle parking on main street if a pickup was parked next to you without having to try and find golf carts. That lasted about 10 years, but it's open season on them now
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #19
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My neighbor loves them. He sells them he rents them. He thinks they are wonderful.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #20
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I bought mine because the 9 hole course at my place in Florida allows us to use our own carts and not pay a cart fee. Also so I could take the trash to the dumpster without having to fire up the diesel dually. Of course right after I bought it they started having 2 day a week trash pickup.

It's also fun to take the lab and wife down to the canal and have a few beverages and watch the big boats come through. We have bikes and ride them but we don't always want to.