Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2006, 03:24 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
How long does it take?

For the "NEW" to wear off a Montana. This is the 4th new Fifth Wheel I have bought in the last 20 years and it is the only one that even after 9 months of ownership, I just keep liking more and more. When I open the door and walk into my Montana, I feel like I am walking into a place I want to be. All the new Montanas do that to me and that new 3400 is fantastic.
The last three Fifth wheels I had, I got over that "new " feeling real quick and the 1986 Canadian made fiver I bought never made it home from the dealer without glued parts falling off. Talk about a piece of junk.
It was only a few months old and we were in Reno, Nevada and I put an A/C on the roof and the roof came down about 4 inches. If you can believe it, I repaired that myself with a 4"x4" aluminum angle iron that I bolted across the roof to pull it up. I used an aluminum channel piece on the inside ceiling and was able to find a plastic trim that snapped over it and it looked like it was factory made.
When it was 3 years old the outside walls all delaminated and after threatening legal action, I got to pull it back to the factory and wait for three days while they rebuilt it at cost. Strangely enough, they never mentioned the aluminum angle holding up the roof.
My favorite part of this sad tale ( I can laugh at it now ) is when I picked up the unit and paid over 2000 dollars on top of my motel room and fuel, the plant manager, a large intimidating man with a European
accent, told me how lucky I was that I did not buy "Yankee Junk"
Well, I was at a loss for words but on the way home I traded that lemon in on a new 1989 Kit Companion made in the good old USA and it was a cheaper unit but it never let me down and we had many great trips with it. My 95 Kit was also a good solid unit but none of those 5th Wheels feel as great to me as a Montana. I am hooked for life.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
Yazoo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4650
I got my 3295RK back in november and it still has the new smell. I can actually smell it outside when I just walk by. We really love it, lots of room and we have had no real problems except a short in the brakes. thanks to the forum I was able to easly find the problem and fix it.
Yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don,
It is never going to wear off, that is just one of the "perks" of owning a Montana. When that joy starts to fade in a few years, I have a feeling you will be back at your dealership looking at buying another Montana. They are kind of addicting... =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I've always said somebody needs to find a way to bottle and sell that "New Vehicle Smell" we all love. Looks like Keystone has done it!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #5
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
I am hoping I got a deal to buy the 3400. I will know tomorrow (Saturday) and if so pick it up late next week. I am looking forward to that new smell of a 3400RL.
Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote