Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
hrlyrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #20110
Battery replacement time.. have??

Ok my battery has died, want charge, so Do I need to be concerned about CCA or just a good Deep cycle. I have a couple days on a 25% off coupon at Advance so I would like to save a penny but get a good battery. Oh yeah, I did a search on here first and Oh yeah #2 I want be going to lithium or solar because of the cost and my usage. Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen I know you are a great source of information.

hrlyrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
You always want to get best Deep cycle battery's you can afford even better to go to 6 Volt battery's. We have 4 6 volt's and never have any problems!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
When getting a battery for your RV, look at amp hours or reserve capacity not CCA. CCA is Cold Cranking Amps. You are not starting anything. Look for the highest reserve capacity in a deep cycle battery that will fit your battery location.
AGM, Lithium, 6 volt, Lead Acid, etc, is your choice dictated by your needs.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We always go with AGM batteries so I don't have to worry about the water level in the batteries.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
If you are using your system only part time, it would be very hard to justify LiFePO4 (lithium for the uninitiated) over more conventional battery types because the cost is simply prohibitive. Using them full time with a long time frame in mind, it is far easier to justify them. Money no object... then have at it. How maintenance oriented are you? if you are up on that game, then deep cycle lead acid batteries that you have to monitor would be the lowest cost option and possibly preferable for part time users. As JABURKHOLDER says... your choice is dictated by your needs. (I'd add the depth of your pockets)

We will be going the solar/battery/generator route soon, when we get our future home on wheels. We are leaning toward AGMs as has been suggested... known technology, reliable, flexible placement in the rig, yep more expensive than basic lead acid but more durable especially if treated well. Batteries don't die... they get murdered.

FWIW

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I've been using the Walmart Gr 29 or 31 deep cycles with good luck. The dealer supplied a Gr 24 Interstate which wouldn't even set up the unit - 4 slides and landing gear, no self leveling - .without plugging it in to a CG pedestal.

We don't FT or boondock so virtually any good battery with a good reserve will do the job, but IMO, has to be at least a Gr 26 with a Gr 29 or 31 better. Obviously, a lithium or AGM would serve you better ut a much higher initial cost.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Damn...just gave away my two OEM Interstate 12v's the dealer provided.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Truck battery versus house battery but my experience can apply. I ignored the wisdom of this forum 5 years ago when truck batteries needed replacing. Several on here warned Interstate quality had diminished. Went with them anyway. 4 years and 3 months later they are shot. Went back to the dealer who sold them to me for pro-rate. He no longer carries them once discovering what the forum had already told me. Pro rate was only going to be 25%. Not worth it for a sub par replacement. Based on his recommendation and on line reviews went with NAPA batteries. This is one time brand loyalty got me in trouble.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #9
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
If you can get them, Centennial deep cycle batteries are great and frequently less expensive than Interstate. another plus for Centennial - You never have to add distilled water. The original Centennials that came with my Monty lasted 7 years. Yes, I keep it connected to shore power all the time. I saw some mention in other replies about lithium batteries. Be sure your converter is compatible with lithium batteries before taking that expensive plunge.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #10
Tamu320
Established Member

M.O.C. #23100
Battery Help

I replaced our factory battery after it failed only months after we bought our 2017 Montana 3950BR. Bought a 27 series duralast from Autozone last June of 2018. We are FT travelers, and I am now on my 3rd battery. CW says i have to pay close attention to water levels after we were having severe power problems. I dont want to pull it all apart every couple weeks to check levels... Interested in the AGM battery as discussed here. What is it? Any other words of wisdom? Thank you.
Tamu320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamu320 View Post
I replaced our factory battery after it failed only months after we bought our 2017 Montana 3950BR. Bought a 27 series duralast from Autozone last June of 2018. We are FT travelers, and I am now on my 3rd battery. CW says i have to pay close attention to water levels after we were having severe power problems. I dont want to pull it all apart every couple weeks to check levels... Interested in the AGM battery as discussed here. What is it? Any other words of wisdom? Thank you.
An AGM battery is often called a maintenance free battery. Go into an auto parts or batteries plus and ask for an AGM deep cycle battery. Do not get a starting battery or a marine battery - you want a true deep cycle battery. If you are storing for any length of time more sure you have a battery disconnect at the battery - not the partial disconnect in the convenience center.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #12
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamu320 View Post
AGM "Absorbed Glass Mat" is a type of lead acid battery using technology developed to meet Military specs. It has many advantages over a regular lead acid battery. Some of them you have already read about on this thread. They are well suited to RV applications.

Not sure of the causes for your battery issues, but I'd agree with AZ Traveler on the battery disconnect usage when stored. You say you are FT, so with that, I'm going to guess you are draining the battery and not recharging it in a timely manner. AGMs will not solve that issue. More battery capacity won't either, but it will give you more time before it becomes an issue so extra batteries are not the sole fix. A better description of what your rig has in it and what you use power for will help pin down your consumption patterns and point to an appropriate battery solution and recharging routines you will have to implement to make it work the way you need it. AGMs still require maintenance but checking water levels isn't one of them. They seem to be the preferred choice among FT RVers.

AGMs and regular lead acid batteries of all types will have their lives serious shortened by repeated draw downs that go below 50% of their rated 20 hour capacity (the important number to know when looking at deep cycle batteries for RV applications). Again battery don't die, they get murdered.

A brief word on Lithium batteries... Lithium batteries are a whole different kettle of fish but might fit your application but they are expensive. I would not recommend them at this time for you based on your experience as reported by you. They have a steeper learning curve than traditional AGM or lead acid batteries. Information on them is getting better all the time.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #13
mike H.
Established Member

M.O.C. #23202
Make sure you have a converter that will charge and maintain your batteries. Buy doing that your batteries will last longer. Not all converters are compatibly with agm or lithium.
mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike H. View Post
Make sure you have a converter that will charge and maintain your batteries. Buy doing that your batteries will last longer. Not all converters are compatibly with agm or lithium.

Curious. Has anyone that went from a flooded battery to an AGM have to worry about their converter or make a change to it?

If so was it an older model?

Thanks
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Curious. Has anyone that went from a flooded battery to an AGM have to worry about their converter or make a change to it?

If so was it an older model?

Thanks
This is also my question (above). I want to go from 2-12v flooded cell to 2-6v AGM. Hoping the converter on my 3611 is adequate for this changeover.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I believe the answer is no. Chemistry is the same for both.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #17
mike H.
Established Member

M.O.C. #23202
I don't know about the older models but the new montana's have a multistage converter but the high country's do not. You would need to change converters
only if you have a high country or go lithium. agm needs a multistage converter to be charged correctly.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #18
hrlyrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #20110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike H. View Post
I don't know about the older models but the new montana's have a multistage converter but the high country's do not. You would need to change converters
only if you have a high country or go lithium. agm needs a multistage converter to be charged correctly.
I have a '13 Big Sky. Do I have a converter that will charge a AGM correctly? I am more than a little confused. I also assume, from what I have read on internet, that a special CHARGER is needed.
hrlyrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #19
mike H.
Established Member

M.O.C. #23202
I don't know if the big sky has the multi stage converter. The stander converter just won't full charge them. The multi stage works great for flooded or agm's. If you go lithium you need a special converter charger. Bestconverters.com. is a good place to get great information.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We always go with AGM batteries so I don't have to worry about the water level in the batteries.
Good timing on that comment as we just had Outer Limits out here looking at the furnace. It went out on the coldest night here of course LOL......

I didn't realize that the blower is also 12 volt not just the controls and thermostat. I guess a nod to boondockers. Boy do I wish they offered these rigs in full AC models!! We have zero use for 12volt or solar anything!

So off to Roswell for AGMs.

BTW you should see our new porch!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote