Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
V.A. Change in income form

F.Y.I. for any change in income you might have as to the V.A.
http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/cos...assessment.asp
Lots of forms out there, this is the correct one.
Carry on soldier..sailor...Marine..Air force guy...Special ops

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Ozz, I went into the VA Hospital in West Haven, Ct. awhile ago to sign up for the Rx part as I will loose my prescription coverage soon. Before I could say a word to explain why I was there the woman stated the only reason I was there was to get the 10% off Home Depot and other discounts vets get. I enlisted in 1966 for three years and got out in 1969. I was lucky enough to be sent to Germany for those 3 years and not Viet Nam. I had no idea where I would go but wanted to serve
my country during war time. I did not seek VA Rx as I had good insurance and didn't see any need to bother the VA. but knew it was something to fall back on later in life if needed. At 65 I lost all my coverage but came under my wife's insurance. Now she is getting ready to retire and I will loose the good coverage. Now when seeking the coverage I find the VA is only interested in those that served in combat, or got wounded and has served since 1991. Then you have to fill out paperwork on your income etc. After reading what is required it sounds like I am getting to much on retirement pay to get any help from the VA. Plus getting put down verbally when I first went into their office I just said the hell with it and gave up. I know a lot of men who served, make far more money then I do and get all the Rx etc. with no problems. Needless to say I have a very bad taste in my mouth for the VA and the people who work there. I guess it's their way of saying "Thank
You for serving your country"
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sky-- Go to your local County Veteran Service Officer and talk to him/her about your problem. I'll bet he can help you! Let me know if you don't get any help there and I can suggest other things to do. IF you have any questions email or PM me! Oh, by the way, THANK YOU FOR SERVING!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I agree with Rondo. Don't let one obviously stupid worker deter what you rightfully have coming. Veteran Service Officers are the way to go. They know the ropes, fill out the forms and help a great deal. Service officers can be approached at County, The American Legion, VFW, Vietnam Veterans of America, etc. Don't give up, you earned what you have coming.

And yes, thank you for serving!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I third the thanks for serving. Isn't it sad how one miserable individual can give a wonderful organization a bad name? I would report her arse.
Sue was with me when we went to the Leavenworth Hospital and V.A. Center, she kept saying how wonderful and nice every one of the people we came into contact with were. I love that place and the people there.
They do have a policy that is billing your insurance company, social security first. I have a war-related disability, so I get extra benefits.
Get a patient advocate and see what he or she can do for you.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
VA assistance has changed over the years with one change being how Priority 8 veterans apply and receive benefits. It is the category of vets with no service related injuries, etc. I am a Vietnam veteran in category 8 who came home whole. To be considered for such benefits as prescriptions, VA forms must be completed and evaluated that include my income or other means of monies. It's fair. No matter what the lady says right or wrong does not negate this requirement. She owes an apology for being unprofessional. Many such VA reps are volunteers and certainly not all. The VA does not just take care of combat members and entitlements are spelled out. I served my country and personally don't consider my service any less or more than doing duty in Germany during the Viet war. Benefits cover all who served based on current procedures or requirements.

The Veterans Admin is a great service with its problems but still great.

I've been in VA hospital wards where many Vets remain today. They are the ones and many of you with VA qualified disabilites that deserve all you can receive...not this Priority 8 Vet! I salute you.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Remember, that when you go to the VA for treatment of a service connected disability and you are at least 50% disabled (correct me on this percentage if I'm wrong), you should not let the VA bill your other insurance companies. I say this because when I went in for cervical replacement/repair surgery, they asked for my other policies and when told this was totally service connected, there was no further discussion. Lastly, thank you all for your service.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good posts. I remember last year when we were on the road for a year. I was about to run out of Meds, I went to the VA in Vegas, they were at a point where they were closing 2 clinics and opening a large hospital, or clinic. I could not get in anywhere, so I was advised to go to Nellis at the Emergency room. I showed up there and apologized to the Dr. for taking their time for such a trivial thing, as they were really busy. The Dr. and Nurse said we take care of our Vets, not to worry. I was touched by that, I will never forget it.