Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Better than expected

I got my shipment of LED's from Michael Taylor. They are installed, all 31 of them. They light up the place with bright, pleasant, warm lighting even better than the incandescent lighting they replaced.

We have 12 of the G4 recessed lights that required 20 watt Halogen bulbs. They created a lot of heat. The 15 LEDs are brighter, but not harsh and much cooler. We also have 5 of the 10 watt G4 recessed. Again the 12 LEDs are bright, warm light. They are bright enough to be useful in the kitchen where two are located as under-the-cabinet work area lights.

When we decided to go to LEDs, I was expecting a bit of a drop off in a desirable kind of illumination of the rooms. That happened when we tried to go with fluorescent bulbs in the 120 lighting. To our pleasant surprise, the LEDs give every bit as good, comfortable to the eyes, room and reading lamp illumination as the incandescent bulbs.

I am sure that all who have spent an extended amount of time in your Montana know how the wedge bulbs that are so prevalent, darken and turn black before they completely burn out. The LEDs will give a consistently bright light as long as they are in use.

We also have the bayonet type bulbs in those reading lamps over our recliners. Those bulbs burned out regularly and created enough heat to do some melting of the plastic around their socket. These replacement LEDs give better light and are very cool, even touchable.

It is my observation that regardless of the kind of bulb you may need, the LED replacement will do the job to your satisfaction. Well, that's my report back. Thought it was appropriate to do so since my earlier tread created so much interest.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Stiles,

I agree 100%, I only replaced 8 of my lights with the LED's and we are very pleased with the outcome.

We will be ordering more from Michael & Kat soon.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks for the feedback Stiles! It just confirms my decision to go all LED when finances permit. It sucks to be unemployed. I'd rather be retired.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Stiles,

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate your honest critique of the bulbs.

But, only 31? We have a total of 64 LED's in our rig...Oh wait, we made some lighting improvements to our rig... In our situation, we needed the additional light output and we couldn't deal with the heat generated nor could we overload each of the individual circuits by putting more halogens on them. Just this evening, we had nearly all of our interior bulbs on and the heat differential between the inside and outside was a whopping 1.3 degrees (okay, we did have a few people in our 5er and the outside temperature was 75 degrees, so maybe body heat was the culprit).

While we have replaced all of our 12 volt bulbs and our regular base incandescent 120 volt bulbs, we have 4 candelabra bulbs that we want to change out and are working with the manufacturer to build them to our specifications.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I didn't replace the outside and bay lights or the closet light, porch light and scare lights. We don't burn those often enough to make it cost effective. I have all those halogen bulbs I replaced. I am too Scot to throw them away, so I will use them in the bathroom recess. When they are gone, A new LED will replace it.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I was just trying to pull your leg.

We went overboard with all LED including the 110v house bulbs. In addition, we added a light to the closet, one behind our modified BR TV cabinet that is used for additional storage, one near the front cap for our BBQ, one under the outside stairs, LED rope lighting for the kitchen counter, two additional recessed lamps in the kitchen, 3 in the shower, 1 in the hallway, two in the ceiling over where your recliners are and two additional ones over the desk area. Oh, and 1 in the front compartment. I think I got them all. Like I said, we sorta went overboard, but we like the extra light without putting undue strain on the existing wiring that putting in halogens would have done.

Glad you enjoy them!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You did sort of go wild, but on the other hand you have first hand experience how the LEDs can be used in a variety of applications. Putting a light in the front bay would be a very useful addition. If Dianna were able to handle more light, I would sure be making some of the modifications you indicate. I like the idea of fixtures near the shower, especially since we are under the cover of a roof at our home site which negates any light from the skylight. Did you use additional recessed fixtures? Did you use the smaller ones like under the cabinet? Did you put the shower lights on a separate switch from the bedroom lights? Just thinking.

I moved my potty room switch to inside the potty room itself, so I have a dummy switch on that three switch panel that might be used with just running wire.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Please post the web page address so that I can order some. Thanks!
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Send a PM or email to snfexpress, a MOC member. Michael Taylor will be happy to serve you.