Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
here we go

had my monty at the dealer the other day for some warranty work. while talking with the tech i asked if he could show me the pre-wire prep in the front compartment. sure he said it's right behind the battery. we opened the compartment and he said hhhmmmm. i don't see a pre-wire. it wasn't there!!!!!! so i called CW in Churchville NY the dealer i bought from.
talked the the tech and he said the same thing , a box behind the battery with wires in it and the wires will be capped. i explained there was nothing there. so pics were taken and email sent. i got my reply today, your right, NO PRE-WIRE. his suggestion call Keystone and tell them to pull the build sheet. and here we go.

as i said in another post i installed a slide topper today. while i was doing that wife was taking care of all the inside work. she put a cd in and was listening to some tunes. sounds good right. nope sounded bad. alot of bass vibration. so i looked for the sub woofer and couldn't find it. finally i got under the desk and pay dirt. they mounted the sub in a wooden box under the desk what were they thinking. what happened the sub was now against the side and vibrating bad. i took the front off the box unhooked the sub and mounted it under the desk in the open. now it sounds really good!!!!!!
unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We went through the same ordeal with the bedroom AC prewire. $100 for the prewire according to the dealer invoice. I contact Keystone, sure enough, no prewire according to the build sheet. Dealer gave me a good deal on the Penguin and they did the wiring.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
well i guess i'll be checking that tomorrow. thanks, SlickWillie
Old 04-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
ok anybody who bought a unit with PRE-WIRE for generator i need to hear from you please.
when you received your Monty with pre wire what did you get? did you get a junction box,
transfer switch or wires behind the battery for the junction box? i have had two techs look at my setup one in person and one with pics in email.

i called Keystone today an talked to a rep. she said pre-wire means ONLY a (wire) sticking out behind the battery for the box. wire behind my tv in bedroom for transfer switch. (need to look for them yet)

i informed her that two techs agreed i don't have what they typically see as pre wire.
she then informed me to tell them that if they don't understand pre wire they can call her, she would explain it to them.

thanks for your support, kevin
Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Kevin,

Our gen pre-wire came with:
  • A large enclosed heat shield that separates the gen from the remainder of the rig

• An automatic transfer switch (labeled Iota on ours) prewired that accepts power from the rear ambilical cord or from the gen connection (blue box) and distributes it to the breaker panel

• A 4X4 junction box with a blue cover that has two 30A pushbotton breakers that are wired into the transfer switch. This is the point of connection from the generator

• (not pictured) An Onan remote start switch and hour meter prewired from the generator cabinet to the front clothes closet (by the TV)

This was in 2007 and the prep was pricey. All I had to do was knock out the precut plate in the cabinet, bolt in the gen, hook up to the blue box, plug in the remote start, hang the exhaust, and remove the plug in the gas pipe and install the LP fuel feed. Start and go.

I can't speak for the new ones, but if at least the wires aren't pre-run, it will be a bear to install a generator without them.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am wondering if Keystone distinguishes between this "first time I have heard it - pre-wire" and what we got that was called generator prep. Ours is like Brad's with the Iota smartswitch, the heat panel, the closet switch and the blue box. I can assure you that it will be more than $100 for this installation.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Swanny,
Mine is set up just like yours. I have a multi wire coiled near the battery and the other end coiled behind my bedroom TV. I was expecting more.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mine is like Bingos
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Uh-0h, looks like they made a change after 2007. Hope the "prewire" doesn't cost what our "Gen Prep" did.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
thanks everybody this info is good. as of now the tech at Churchville will be talking to keystone. i also checked behind my tv no wire as the CS lady explained. all thats back there is wire for an outlet in closet, coax cable for tv, room temp sensor and 12 wire for a plug in. i wonder what i paid for this!!!!! i did check to see if i had wires for a pre wire ac unit. i do have two wires i can see. one looks like a plug for a phone jack and the other wire is very small with a very small plastic rectangle plug. i expected to find bigger wires than i found. sure hope this doesn't turn into a giant peeing match!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
Roadster31
Established Member

M.O.C. #5548
I hope you have better luck with the people at Churchville than we had. They are masters at the "song and dance"routine w/o solving your problems. The last time I went there for warrantee service with a brake problem. When they finished it was worse than when I drove it there. I recommend the service at Bath, NY or Bloomsburg, PA. Both places gave us excellent service. PM me if you need any more info.
Roadster 31
Roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote