Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Heater Ducts

Hello All... I have a question for the forum about the heating duct work in the 2980RL, Last time out I noticed that the heater duct in the RL area blows the most air 3 feet forward of that duct is the Kitchen duct hardly any air and the bed room area is the same as the kitchen, the floor just before the steps to the bed room is very warm, is there a posability of the hoses not being conected in that area causing low air flow in the two areas kitchen, and bed room. I did cover up the register in the RL area and then more air came into the kitchen area.
The other question is: if I was to make a radioused ramp and put it in the duct work in the kitchen area say about one half the opening width allowing half of the air to be redirected up in the kitchen register, the ramp would be touching the bottom of that duct. so what do you think about the idea and respond to the air problem please.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
It's been discussed before on this forum and if I remember right: The top stair has screws in the corners to remove it. There is a junction for the ducts there. Sounds like something came loose, or not properly installed, so the heat is escaping there. I planned to put a piece of thin sheetmetal that blocks 1/2 of the channel for the heat duct and diverts it out of the kit vent.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:37 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Hunt around on the second step tread, there should be 4 or 5 square head screws that hold the steps in. They are about 3-4" long, loosen them and keep wiggling the step until it comes out and check the junction box under there.

The ramp idea will work fine, just may take a little expiramenting to get the right flow of heat.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:49 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Replacing the existing floor registers with ones that have dampers in them will be eaiser. It really does sound like you have a serious leak in the duct work. Search it out and seal it up along with the adjustable registers will be the best fix.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:34 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If it's like the 2880RL that was very similar in floorplan, the junction box under the stair is just for the two upstairs registers. You can reverse the hoses if the commode area gets more heat than the bedroom vent. Keep in mind the upstairs area generally gets only a little heated air. The idea is supposedly that the warm air from downstairs will work its way to the higher upstairs area. We supplement upstairs with an electric heater.

The downstairs registers should both get a good airflow. At least the do on our 3295 and did on our 2880. If the floor is very warm, that sounds like either a duct is disconnected or has a big hole in it. If you can drop a couple of screws out of the bellypan you might be able to look in there to see if there's a problem. If you're still in warranty you dealer should check this for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks very much I'll be looking at those stairs, and I do remembering seing what I thought to be nail heads when all along they were screws holding down the inspection cover, I thought it was a construction goof,

TT2
Old 11-28-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
TT2, if I recall, those screws are the standard RV screws requiring the square head driver to remove. Might be tough to tell that with them buried in the carpet.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote