Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
4blys
Established Member

M.O.C. #19093
Tug test

Hi everyone! We will be taking our first trip soon in our new 2017 3791rd. We are very excited! We did a practice hook up and unhook today. We have the auto leveling jacks and wanted to pull all jacks up but the front and wanted to raise the front a little bit so we can do a tug test. We could not get to that point. How do others do it? What are we doing wrong? Your help is greatly appreciated.

4blys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I have to keep a copy of the manual mode instructions in the jack compt. I always forget how to lower and raise the front jacks in Manual mode. On my unit all works well but in grass the hitch recognition is always a little off as the jacks sink some when sitting. In manual raising the front is easy but lowering takes a little memory. Photocopy and laminate the jack operation pages.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
4blys
Established Member

M.O.C. #19093
Thanks James! I am a big note taker so we will need to do the same. We are graduating from a travel trailer so this process is new to us!
4blys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
For tug test, I manually raise the front legs - the driver side leg will go up first and stop, then the passenger side leg will go up to where I want it (inch or so above ground) then I stop raising it and lower the front driver side leg to where I want it (inch or so above ground). Do tug test and then retract front legs as needed.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 4blys

Hi everyone! We will be taking our first trip soon in our new 2017 3791rd. We are very excited! We did a practice hook up and unhook today. We have the auto leveling jacks and wanted to pull all jacks up but the front and wanted to raise the front a little bit so we can do a tug test. We could not get to that point. How do others do it? What are we doing wrong? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Here is the steps I use going from all jacks down either done manually or Auto level.
1) Turn on control module
2) Using the up down arrows select "Manual Mode" this will then show in the display.
3) Select "Retract"
4) Push and hold the "Rear" button, this will raise all but the front landing gear legs.
5) De-select "Retract"
6) Push the "Front" button to extend the front landing gear legs, if you go too high you will have to select "Retract" and again hit "Front" to lower them. So you are now using the "Front" and "Retract" buttons depending on what you want to do with the front legs. Once hooked up you can use this procedure prior to doing your "Tug" test to raise the front legs up a bit as was suggested by the previous poster.

Now I have to say I do not go beyond step (4) at the control panel, after raising all the rear legs I use my remote control to raise and lower the front landing gear, I can do that operation from within the cab or wherever it is most appropriate to make sure I am at the right height for hitching up.

I have never used the "Return?" to original level for hooking up, that feature may work well I just don't use it so don't really know.

Hope this helps a bit.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
The afore-mentioned is done after the other jacks have been retracted :-)
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I do it just a little different. I do the auto-retract all. Then, I manually lower the front gear. One will make contact before the other starts down and then the second front gear starts down. When the second one gets about two or three inches off the ground, I hit the retract button and retract the front gear to the same height. After the pull (or tug) test, I again go to auto retract. Especially in cold weather, I walk around and make sure all jacks retracted completely. Occasionally in cold weather, one of the rear jacks stops an inch short of complete retraction. Enjoy your unit.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
In addation to the Tug Test. a little tip!
I painted the jaws of the hitch white! I can clearly see that the Jaws are closed ! then check to be sure the jaws are locked!
Never dropped a trailer in 22 years of towing a Fiver!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I did the same as Ken but I painted the jaws a bright orange and you can't miss them even in the dark. Safe travels and enjoy that new rig.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:24 AM   #10
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
No one has made mention of putting chocks in front of the front wheels of the trailer or I missed it. Tugging against the chocks makes it clear that the trailer isn't moving and you are truely testing the hitch. And no, having the cab brake control manually on does not insure the trailer wheels are locked. John
Old 10-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I also painted a one inch gloss white stripe on the King pin upper box, so I could see it as I lined up for coupling, and I put black arrows on each of the jaws of the hitch, so I could see that the arrows were touching when coupled. I also got the front jacks within a couple of inches of the ground before doing the pull test frontwards and backwards, and then again frontwards, before I retracted them fully.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #12
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I follow my hitch manual.
Couple and inspect.
Prior to removing wheel blocks or raising front trailer jacks you must do:
Put the vehicle in a forward gear and lightly pull on the trailer.
If resistance is felt then put the vehicle in park and set the emergency brake.
If no resistance is felt then stop, backup to original position to prevent separation.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote