Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
Ronbry
Established Member

M.O.C. #651
Squeaking and grabbing brakes

Have 2003 3255RL Montana, 1 year old and just out of warranty. Have AL-KD Kober Ultralube axles. Last couple of trips the brakes have started to squeak when braking any more than moderate. Last trip was getting worst and noticed the right rear wheel grabbing when braking hard. Pulled the right rear drum and found axle grease in the drum and on the shoes. Considerable amount on the magnet and the magnet surface of the drum but some all over. Cleaned all parts with spray cans of brake parts cleaner and reinstalled drum and greased using the Ultralube fitting, the zerk fitting on this wheel was also messed up and would not take grease, replaced. Removed the drum after greasing to see if grease was getting past the rear bearing seal when using the Ultralube fitting and it was not. Reinstalled drum. pulled the other three drums and only found small amounts of grease near the rear bearing seal probaly from heat and seepage. Adjusted all brakes while they where off the ground and all works fine now. Don't know how the axle grease got into that one drum, will watch and see if happens again. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

Ronbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
There is a "thread" on the Ultra-lube feature. As I recollect, grease in the brakes is a somewhat common problem following the Ultralube feature usage. Also seem to recollect that there is an instruction in the axle manual about having to rotate the wheel while performing the Ultra-lube procedure for each wheel. If you don't do that, there is a possibility....etc..

Try the Search feature of the Forum...works great..

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ronbry

Have 2003 3255RL Montana, 1 year old and just out of warranty. Have AL-KD Kober Ultralube axles. Last couple of trips the brakes have started to squeak when braking any more than moderate. Last trip was getting worst and noticed the right rear wheel grabbing when braking hard. Pulled the right rear drum and found axle grease in the drum and on the shoes. Considerable amount on the magnet and the magnet surface of the drum but some all over. Cleaned all parts with spray cans of brake parts cleaner and reinstalled drum and greased using the Ultralube fitting, the zerk fitting on this wheel was also messed up and would not take grease, replaced. Removed the drum after greasing to see if grease was getting past the rear bearing seal when using the Ultralube fitting and it was not. Reinstalled drum. pulled the other three drums and only found small amounts of grease near the rear bearing seal probaly from heat and seepage. Adjusted all brakes while they where off the ground and all works fine now. Don't know how the axle grease got into that one drum, will watch and see if happens again. Anyone else have this kind of problem?
Hello Ron, how often and how much grease do you use when maintenance is performed?
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
Ronbry
Established Member

M.O.C. #651
PJ and Nan,
Thanks for the info, don't have a manual on the axles but will try to get one. Keystone owners manual didn't say anything about rotating the wheel while lubing using the Ultralube fitting.
Ronbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, it's been driven into me by our dealer's service manager to put no more than two small squirts of grease per year through those zerks. That's even though we're fulltiming and cover lots of miles in a year. When we had our brakes checked this past summer he told me I was using too much grease. He reiterated two squirts once per year. So are you maybe putting too much grease in there and blowing it past the seals? It is, as you note, recommended to rotate the wheels while greasing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:29 AM   #6
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
Ron, had the same thing, did same as you, but before heading to rally i replaced the grease seal. i had never greased the bearing. it is my feeling that whoever did prior to delivery put too much in that wheel. did same as you in regards to checking other wheels and found no problems.
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:15 AM   #7
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
I also found out the hard way not to overgrease the bearings. I took my rig to a local dealer for a check-up. All four brake pad sets had to be replace. All drums were full of grease. The service manager said he doesn't know how I got the rig stopped. He told me not to put any grease in the caps, that once a year when you check the bearings is sufficient. I found out recently how the rig got stopped as lately the truck has a shimmy when I apply the brakes. Feels like a warped disk caused by overheating. Oh well, live and learn.
Steve
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote