Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
What part of "Do Not Call" ...

What part of “Do Not Call" don't you understand?
Not very long ago I listed my cell phone with the national Do not call listing. I had been getting several unwanted calls.

The calls had slowed down somewhat. Today I received a call on my cell phone and after I answered it; someone who sounded like a foreigner (female) was acting like she was having trouble connecting or hearing me and then started asking for someone with a female name like Karla. I quickly cut her off and mentioned that it might be kind of hard to do, (thinking that she may have had the wrong number) and I also mentioned to her that “if you’re soliciting.” (I was going to tell her to remove my number from her listing) and she quickly replied no and stated that my number was on a no call listing and since it was my number that I would receive a free sample from them. I simply needed to verify some information with them so they could send it to me. That’s about the time I hung up.

What part of “Do Not Call” don’t they understand?
Sounded like a new scam to me.

Just thought I’d give you all a heads up,
Keep you’re thinking caps on!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
There's a new scam about everyday I believe. I wonder how well off those people would be, if they would lay awake at night and think of ways to be honest and upright in what ever they do, instead of dreaming up scams. The last one I got, Monday, was a female with a heavy-heavy spanish accent, saying she was an exchange student from Germany, and needed funds for education. I told her I spent 4 years in Germany in the military, and for sure knew the difference in a spanish and German accent. She hung up on me before I got a chance to really unload and feel better--hahahaha
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Some of that crap has gone off shore so our law can't reach them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
They are relentless with their auto dialers. They just plug in an area code and an exchange prefix and it dials ten numbers at a time. If you pick up and no one is there it is because some other sucker beat you to it. But, now they know your number is valid and will try again another time. Some of these outfits just sell the valid number lists they have compiled to another scam room. And yes they are off shore. It is simple to get an area code in the states to which they dial through and you think they are in Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Georgia, etc. I just keep adding them to my blocked call list.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

The call came from NY
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Living alone, I'm probably more cautious about taking phone calls than most. If I don't know the number (caller ID) or it shows up as unknown, I just don't answer the phone. If it's someone I know, they will leave a message.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

The call came from NY

That's sad
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Crud, we joined a chanber of commerce for our business a few years ago... one of those things we need the reset button on, they sell the mailing list to various call centers.
I get so ****** at the callers, but one clue: there is a pause between when you answer and when they say something. I scream at them when they come on line: "Don't call here again!" When they come on line.
So... then they do their little dirty trick of calling a few times, then hanging up on me.
It's all good, I smile because I got to them.
I look at it like they are invading my privacy. Baxtards....
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Ozz,
There is the old compact air horn response. The horns are palm sized including the air container. When they pick up,a little blast from the horn will rattle their cage and make their head gear fall off.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I kinda am torn between doing that, and giving them at least a little respect for actually holding down a job...cra**y job, but a job.
Yesterday was trash day, I was in my truck ready to pull out of the drive, there was this young Black man grabbing the trash bags from my house, the one across the street and the ones next door to make it a one-stop for the trash truck. I was struck by how hard he was working, he could have just waited for the truck and make it stop 3 times, but he didn't. I pulled out and stuffed a $5.00 bill in his hand and told him he was a good man and a good worker, and some day he would be running things and dispatching trucks for the company
Old 08-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Everytime you enroll or join something there is an opt out clause that they don't tell you about, you have to ask for it. I always ask for the opt out thing and say I don't want anything shared or given to anyone or company. It dosen't alway work that way but I always ask.
Takes about 3 months for the do not call to take ahold and I do it once a year for both house phone and cell phonesjust to make sure.
I also get upset when these unsolicited calls come from political parties, charatible and religious organizations. To me a do not call means from any and all of the above.
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Dunno about everywhere, but Qwest here offers a no solicitor option you can get for your phone, which answers with a recorded message that I don't answer calls from solicitors, and to please hang up and remove this number from your call list. If it's a legitimate call, the caller has the option of pressing "1" to be connected. You can store numbers of friends, etc. who will be put through immediately. I thought the Do Not Call List was the answer, but I'm finding that it's not.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Allen in MT,
It is so ironic that the very groups we want protection from via the DO NOT CALL list are the ones that are exempt! Doesn't make sense to me either. But we are very happy with vast numbers of commercial calls it has stopped. Now to work on those exempt groups! HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! One just called me, I said hallo? about 5 times, she said can you hear me? I said no spk engliss and hung up.
One of the very few pleasures I get out of life...
Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
You guys are passing up the opportunity for some fun. For instance, a while back before the bank troubles, I used to get calls for credit cards frequently. As soon as I knew what the call was all about, I'd ask how much credit limit was on the card. Then I would ask if I could get the car in a couple days (knowing it took longer). I would get insistent on getting it within a day or two. Finally, I would let it 'slip' that I was getting ready to file for bankruptcy, but I would wait until they could mail me the card. I got hung up on a lot!

Then there the ones for police/fireman. I had checked these out with my local PD and FD, and was told they never solicited by phone. So from then on, when the calls came, I would ask for the caller's name. Typically they would give the first name with no problem, but when I asked for the last name, they wouldn't tell me. When I pressed them, telling them that I worked for the state attorney generals office, and we were investigating fraudulent PD/FD charity organizations, the calls stopped immediately.

Use your imaginations!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #16
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I hate them calls also. One day I got a call from someone trying to sell me windows and siding. They asked if I was interested and told them right off the bat yes I am. In need of them badly. What kind of deal can you give me. I was patient and listen to her deal. When she finished I told her that I would love to have them come out and measure the house up. She started getting really excited and after we got a time set up I said now that I have listened to your deal you have to listen to me. She was hesitant and I said hey, fair play is fair play. I didn't give her a chance to say no and told her that I raced cars all over the country and that I always needed sponsorship. Them windows and siding would free up a lot more money for racing and that if we could strike a deal then they could do the install. She said, well I would need to talk to my husband about that. I said....."gotcha didn't I" lol. We both laughed and went on about our way. Oh and no I didn't get the windows or siding.......lol But it sure was fun!!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I like that except you have to pay for it and you have to be a qwest subscriber.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scattershot

Dunno about everywhere, but Qwest here offers a no solicitor option you can get for your phone, which answers with a recorded message that I don't answer calls from solicitors, and to please hang up and remove this number from your call list. If it's a legitimate call, the caller has the option of pressing "1" to be connected. You can store numbers of friends, etc. who will be put through immediately. I thought the Do Not Call List was the answer, but I'm finding that it's not.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Yeah, but I'm thinking it might be worth the six bucks a month, at least until the elections are over.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Yeah election time is near. We have received calls from Sarah Palin and Jan Brewer in the last week. Brewer is the govenor here in AZ.
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Tell them you have another call coming in and hold on I'll be right back then put them on hold (call waiting).
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote