Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #21
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Your converter will think there is a large 12v battery there

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #22
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Great thread.

We are placing our order for a 2013 3582RL in the next month or two. I have been doing much reading and trying to learn about inverter and battery banks BEFORE the build. I was told I needed to add another subpanel and have all the AC circuits moved to it, put in a junction box and then the inverter. Magnum 2000 to 2500 full sine wave seems the way to go.

I'm reading here many have added an inverter without all the expense outlined above.

IT gets more complicated and "who to believe" every time I look into it further.

Keystone WOULD NOT preprep the unit by pulling the AC circuits into a separate panel. I'm told to do it later is VERY expensive.

Thinking of buying a 3000 watt Honda or two 2000i's for the back of the TV and upgrading the battery bank.

I think the best thing to do now is just wait until we have been in the coach for a few months, talk with more folks and then make some decisions.

Cheers,

troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #23
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

I put a SunForce 2500 Watt Pure Sine Inverter in my unit ($600.00 from Amazon). It also has remote control. There is also info on how I wired it on the second page. I installed a wall switch on the converter plug, so I can turn it ON and OFF when the Inverter is running.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...Terms=sunforce

I went with Six Trojan T-105 6 Volt Batteries.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...Terms=sunforce

I went with stick on Solar Panels, you can walk on them.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...Terms=stick,on
Very nice! My rig came with a single 12v battery with only 90 AH output I've also got the generator prep package so have the galvanized enclosure to deal with. I'm hoping to fit 4x6-volt bats in here but it is going to be very tight. There is plenty of "wasted" space above the generator enclosure which could potentially provide space for a row of batteries. This would be difficult to maintain but could be done. Has anyone added batteries to a rig with the generator prep package? I'd love to see photos if anyone has any. Here are several images of my current battery compartment.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #24
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pugtracker

Great thanks for the reply, i do have a question when you recharge with your generator do you have disconnect your inverter? thanks again
As always, the answer is: "it depends".

Disconnecting the inverter or not, is a function of how you have it installed. Ken powers the whole coach (via the shore power plug) off of the inverter. He has to disconnect the inverter to attach the generator. I use dedicated circuits from the inverter to power just what I need. That way I can run the inverter while also running the generator. Another option is to use an automatic transfer switch (which may exist if you have a generator prepped unit) which will do the switch for you. There are lots of choices depending on what you want to accomplish.
hey carl so are you saying i might be able to use generator transfer switch which i have but dont use its a generator prep unit as you say.
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If you don't have a generator, but you have the automatic transfer switch (ATM) (usually part of the "generator prep" package), you can connect the output of the inverter to the generator input side of the ATM. That way the inverter will power all of the coach (not that you can use all of the electrical devices when running the inverter). When you connect the shore power cord to either a generator or real shore power that source will be preferred source. No need to disconnect the inverter to run the generator. You will have to remember to turn off the circuit breaker to the converter when running off the inverter.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #26
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:

You will have to remember to turn off the circuit breaker to the converter when running off the inverter.
Carl, what happens if you don't turn off the converter?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Pugtracker...you might consider an inverter/charger and eliminate the converter. That's what our MH has.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #28
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram
The inverter uses 12V power from the battery to create 120V power. The converter uses the newly created 120V power to create 12V power to charge the battery. This is a variation on the idea of perpetual motion and it doesn't work any better in this case than any other implementation.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #29
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:

Quote:
The inverter uses 12V power from the battery to create 120V power. The converter uses the newly created 120V power to create 12V power to charge the battery. This is a variation on the idea of perpetual motion and it doesn't work any better in this case than any other implementation.
So will it simply fall behind and slowly lose the level of charge or will there be sparks and fire?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #30
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
No sparks or fire. You just lose the charge in the batteries.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #31
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
installed a 2000 pure sine, works great. next solar panels and charger down the road
Old 02-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #32
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Spoke with my welder friend last night about building a battery rack. I've decided to go with AGM's due to space restrictions. We are going to make a rack on the left side of the battery/utility compartment next to the existing battery box. The rack will have 4 shelves to stack 4 X 6-volt batteries in a vertical configuration. I plan on installing them with the terminals facing out/toward the front of the rig. I'm looking at Dekka and Lifeline's.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #33
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:
Very nice! My rig came with a single 12v battery with only 90 AH output I've also got the generator prep package so have the galvanized enclosure to deal with. I'm hoping to fit 4x6-volt bats in here but it is going to be very tight. There is plenty of "wasted" space above the generator enclosure which could potentially provide space for a row of batteries. This would be difficult to maintain but could be done. Has anyone added batteries to a rig with the generator prep package? I'd love to see photos if anyone has any. Here are several images of my current battery compartment.
Steve Grobstig (Sgrob47) did this. I saw his setup two years ago. I can't remember if he had four 6 Volts or six 6 Volts. He has generator on the left and batteries on the right as you face the compartment.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #34
flsts
Established Member

M.O.C. #9467
Steve has 6 six's mounted on the right with gen on the left. Tight fit, but it fits. Mine came gen prep"d and I removed the tin box and extra frame metal frame on bottom for the gen. on mine. Opened up a lot more area. Easy job. just had to remove the Hatch door, razor blade the silicon seal around the hatch frame and a few screws,.. and it was off.
flsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #35
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
It seems to me this is a very hot topic by he views. So the first step i did was put in new Batteries 12V and a 2000 watt inverter, replaced with al 4/0 wires. 250 amp fuse and a battery isolator so no power to inverter when not in use. Works greathad two test nights dropped from 12.6 volts to 12.4 ina 6 hour period. When using more often im sure will drop more. will recharge batteries with generator as needed.

Ok now I am just using and extension cord until i have person with more knowledge to hook into entire system.

My question is basd on using invertor with extension cordto power items as needed.

If I am watching Tv with my inverter and i decided i want to run my generator at the same time to do some laundry cause i need clean cloths can i leave my inverter plug in and watch TV knowing that my Converter will now be working to recharge my batteries. I know my Converter puts out to charge the batteries with the generat0r running. Now as i said i want to continue watchng TV with my inverter extension cord. I want the generator to power my washer. Quesition am im ok doing this with my invertor?

After i want to know what my next purcahse should be to get a solar panel working.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 AM   #36
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:

If I am watching Tv with my inverter and i decided i want to run my generator at the same time to do some laundry cause i need clean cloths can i leave my inverter plug in and watch TV knowing that my Converter will now be working to recharge my batteries. I know my Converter puts out to charge the batteries with the generat0r running. Now as i said i want to continue watchng TV with my inverter extension cord. I want the generator to power my washer. Quesition am im ok doing this with my invertor?
That is how my old rig was set up. My breakers were setup with one powering GFI outlets which were all on the curb side of the rig and the other powered the other side. I pulled the wires from the non GFI side and connected it to a separate breaker in a new box. I had power to the non GFI outlets when the inverter was on. If I plugged into shore power the converter/charger powered the GFI outlets and charged the batteries. I never has an issue having the inverter on while plugged into shore power (charging).
Quote:

After i want to know what my next purcahse should be to get a solar panel working.
I'm using a Kyocera 135 watt (12-volt) panel with a Morningstar controller. The panel is rated at 8 amps output, controller rated up to 10 amps. I dropped the wires from the panel through the roof into the bathroom and mounted the controller next to the charger/breaker box. I tied into the charger unit from the solar controller. Seems to be working fine.

I'm building a battery rack, will be 4 AGM 6-volt batteries. AGM's don't require enclosure/venting and can be mounted any way except with the terminals "facing the earth". My terminals will be facing the front of the rig for easy access. I'm curious if anyone who has put 4 batteries in the right compartment built in support to the floor. I'm thinking about tying into the cross-member for the generator and the side of the trailer for a battery base.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #37
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I've decided to go with the Lifeline GPL-6CT battery. It is a 6 volt 300 AH battery. I'm going with just one pair of those. They are slightly taller than the regular battery but with the higher AH rating I will only need 2 and at 82# a piece weight shouldn't be an issue or at least as big an issue as 4 batteries. 4 of the Deka/East Penn AGM's rate out at 380 AH so putting these two in will put me at 300 at half the weight!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:

I've decided to go with the Lifeline GPL-6CT battery. It is a 6 volt 300 AH battery. I'm going with just one pair of those. They are slightly taller than the regular battery but with the higher AH rating I will only need 2 and at 82# a piece weight shouldn't be an issue or at least as big an issue as 4 batteries. 4 of the Deka/East Penn AGM's rate out at 380 AH so putting these two in will put me at 300 at half the weight!
I looked at those Batteries you are getting lots of power there. So did you wire you invertor into your panel? What i want to do is wire mine into my Generator set up i do not use. So I have power to whole rig. What I am not sure about is (as i have not looked into it yet) I must have to disconnect the battery charging is what im thinking if I wire it in. I know someone said they wierd there converter on its on breaker so they could turner off the converter. Im hoping I can get this info here to get me started. Thanks again
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:

Quote:

I looked at those Batteries you are getting lots of power there. So did you wire you inverter into your panel? What i want to do is wire mine into my Generator set up i do not use. So I have power to whole rig. What I am not sure about is (as i have not looked into it yet) I must have to disconnect the battery charging is what I'm thinking if I wire it in. I know someone said they weird there converter on its on breaker so they could turner off the converter. I'm hoping I can get this info here to get me started. Thanks again
This is a work in progress. I ordered the batteries today. Next week I'll install them. I have not installed my inverter yet as a 90 AH deep cycle 12 volt battery came with my rig and I knew it couldn't power it. I'll put the batteries in, a catastrophic fuse on the neg side of the battery bank. The inverter I plan to hook into the generator wiring/transfer switch temporarily until I get the Onan. After the generator is installed I'm not yet sure how I'm going to approach the inverter arrangement. It is probably better suited to have the generator wired into the existing transfer switch. I want it to access the charging unit. I'll cross that bridge when I get the generator.

I thought highly of my previous rig's setup. I mentioned in an earlier post, had the inverter on an external breaker (separate from the main breakers). It was very easy to do as I took the wires from it's breaker and physically took them out of the box and into the aux box that was fed by a heavy duty extension cord (wire only) hardwired to the inverter 120V side (breaker-ed of course). This way the inverter is not tied to the converter for power. If AC is wanted on that circuit, turn on the inverter on shore power, generator or while on battery power, they are the same. When on shore power or the generator the converter is replenishing the batteries. Maybe a three way transfer switch might be the answer, it would have to "know" if the 120 volts was coming from the inverter or the shore/generator power plant. Right now I'm going to leave the charger breaker in the OFF position unless I need to charge.

Right now I'm really excited to get the batteries installed.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #40
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Hi, thought that I would post my progress to this point installing the 2 6-volt batteries. These AGM's weigh in at 90# each. I called Keystone and they recommended that I reinforce the floor of the battery compartment to support the weight of the batteries. I added angle along the back wall, the outside I-beam gave support of the outside line and the crossmember from the generator prep is providing support to the inside edge though I added angle between the tabs. I put a 3/4" plywood floor covered with aluminum. The floor is secured and to this point I have the batteries in, base frames for each battery are loose in place. I will finish in the morning by screws securing the angle around the base of the batteries.

Picas web album of floor/battery installation