Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
jimr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5202
Geo Star Tires

I am looking to replace the Misson Tires on my 2006 3000RK. I don't pull very many miles and have not had any issues with the missions. I am diligent about maintaining air pressure etc. Went to Les Schwab and they showed me a Geostar G574 trailer tire. 14 ply G rated. Suposedly these are made by Nexin in China (what isn't made in China). Anybody have any experience with these? I know I will have to make sure my rims are OK for 110 psig.

jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ahh the rim issue, I am guessing but I think you have the 80# rims..officially, now it is up to you if you want to use the high pressure tires on these rims. Many did after the 'sticker error' and have had no issues that I know of.
Are they the spoked aluminum rims?
Many have got away from the China "Bombs' people call them. I would weigh the options of going with an American made tire.
Also I would not go from the Mission to another China tire if it were me.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
After all the discussion that I've read within the MOC community I've still no idea as to why folks have determined that the chinese manufactured tires are of a lesser quality than a US made tire. I have to think that Mr.Goodyear for instance makes damn sure that the tires he has made offshore are to the standards he specifies which would probably be the same specs as if he had them made in Kentucky or Indiana or wherever. So what are the facts relating to chinese manufactured tires than make them of a lesser quality than a US manufactured tire?
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
My common sense tells me the bad publicity received by the "china bombs" is richly deserved- I will continue to read the information on the sidewalls of each tire I purchase- Made in the USA or Canada is a requirement for my well-being- Buying American is not a bad thing to do- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

After all the discussion that I've read within the MOC community I've still no idea as to why folks have determined that the chinese manufactured tires are of a lesser quality than a US made tire. I have to think that Mr.Goodyear for instance makes damn sure that the tires he has made offshore are to the standards he specifies which would probably be the same specs as if he had them made in Kentucky or Indiana or wherever. So what are the facts relating to chinese manufactured tires than make them of a lesser quality than a US manufactured tire?
You've probably got the Goodyear Marathon tires. Merely keep running them, and you'll figure out for yourself what makes them a lesser quality tire.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Don - I'm not suggesting that buying home-grown products isn't a good thing to do. It's my number one choice IF the numbers, etc. make good sense. What I am trying to do is determine what the problems might be with off-shore tires in terms of materials or manufacturing process, if any or whether the debate is fueled simply by conjecture. I've read about numerous failures with the G614 tire and does anyone remember the Firestone fiasco? I acknowledge that there have been lots of failures with tires of chinese manufacture but 99.9% of the comments seem to place 100% of the blame on the tire and none on the user. Slick - what facts did you use to determine that off-shore tires are "lesser quality tires"?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I don't have many facts or a data sheet to that effect. However, I have heard enough about the problems with the Marathon tires, two of which failed on me, on this forum to convince me there is a problem. Also, my tire guy will not put the Marathons on a large, heavily used trailer, regardless of their ratings.
Michelin tires are one of the tires recommended. Many of them are not made in the US or Canada, but they are still a recommended tire. It ends up being a combination of what we all have experienced.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ron as with most folks on here all it took for me was replacing 2 sets. the missions lasted about 6000 miles then 2 seperated at the same time on the way back from fla. I put a new set of dyna-trails from CHINA on These lasted 2000 miles same thing seperated. I now have LTs from japan on it since aug 09 I have had no more problems and I have pulled it farther than with both previous sets. So not to be a smart a&& but as Will said you keep running the china tires and they will make a believer out of you also. JMHO
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I believe that personal experience related here by many speaks volumes as to reliability and longevity. In the end, it comes down to what you are comfortable with... Myself, I decided to heed the advice and experience related by real people in the real RVing environment. I pulled brand new Marathons off my Monty and put on tires that were recommended as tried and true by people that have gone through the blowouts and tire failures. They weren't in the tire selling business so I had no reason to doubt their veracity.
Lonnie IS in the tire business and I value his input. I used that to guide my purchase. Personally, I believe I made a good decision. What you do, is of course, your decision. Good luck!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I agree with all of you that there's no teacher like experience. I just thought I'd throw out something that was bound to elicit discussion and lo and behold ...
Tires continue to be a huge issue with us RV types and I think few of us would run anything other than a proven make & model. With so few choices in an ST tire, some of us have gone to LT tires with good success. We need to somehow lobby a "friendly" US tire manufacturer to design and build an RV tire that is reliable over the long haul and we need to insist that RV manufacturers install them on their products. We've been quiet long enough! So .... just how do we do that?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ron I agree 100% with you on that!!! I went with a set of LT235/85/R16Es from FALKENS made in japan on the montana because I had ran them since the late 90s on my truck with no problems. but I am going to try a different brand on the truck this time. With the advice of my tire guy and a tire man on here that I trust greatly I am gonna try a set of Hancooks. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
If you get bored and want to read, hit the search feature and ask about Mission tires or Chinese tires. It is FULL of incidents where drivers have had problems. My experience was tread separation. The ST missions had a higher capacity than the LTs I used as replacements, but they (the LTs) still met the total load requirements, AND no problems since installed.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I highly recommend looking at GENERAL GRABBER HTS truck tires. I'm on my 2nd set and couldn't be happier. Well you know ... as happy as one can get with an inanimate round rubber object!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
My mission tires didnt have 10000 miles on them. I was getting ready for vacation last year looked down while applying rubber protectant on my slide seals and saw this enormous bludge in the middle of one of my missions. I to pay very close attention to my tires. I have been in trucking for nearly 40 years and its just something you learn to pay attention to. After all the trouble I have read about here and having experienced it myself I would never buy another tire made in China and when it comes to putting tires on my truck there is only one. Michelin just my 2 cents worth. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #15
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
My research consisted of stopping by Lonnie's store in Farwell, and having him install the tire of choice.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
jimr,

I have no experience with the Geostar, but I have had some with the Nexen brand. Nexen is known in the tire business as an entry level tire, as are many of the tires made in China, and not a brand I would feel comfortable with on my trailer. IMHO, peace of mind is worth more than the few dollars saved by going with low cost tires. Stick with the name brand tires and you will have a more harmonious outcome.

Unless you plan on grossly overloading your 5200 pound axles, you have no need for a 14 ply, 110 psi tire on the 3000RK. I have the same trailer and run LT235/85R16 load range E tires rated for 3042 pounds at 80 psi. More than enough to carry the 3000 when loaded to it's maximum capacity.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
jimr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5202
Thanks for all the input. probably going to go with Goodrich LT commercials.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I had a lengthy conversation today with an RV salesman who apparently has made it his mission in life to know everything there is to know about RV tires ... at least he spoke intelligently and his arguments made sense to me anyway. He supported a lot of what he said by giving me copies of several articles clipped over the years from RV magazines, tire dealer magazines and other sources. What I got from the conversation was the following: 1) Forget "ST" tires and use a brand name "LT" tire as the quality of manufacture, etc. is usually much better. 2) ALWAYS inflate your tires using NITROGEN rather than air. Here's why ... http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/4302788. 3) Fill each tire with half a can of tire sealant such as ... http://www.vikingseal.com/faq.html. There's a lot of good sealants on the market. Viking is just one of the better ones offered. 4) Run your tires at or slightly under maximum pressure. 5) Have your axles aligned!
I realize that some of the suggestions he offered may be controversial so form your own opinions and conclusions. Finally, if you can find a copy, read RV Lifestyle Magazine, volume 39 number7 and the article "Better Tires for Your Trailer". This article pretty well sums up what I've stated above but in a more expansive and detailed manner. If you do nothing else, replacing air with nitrogen seems to be huge in terms of payoff.