Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Front cap graphics

What is the latest info on graphics? I did a search on this site and some folks are saying to contact Keystone, and others are saying to contact Burlington. I have a 2007 Mountaineer, and it may be too late to do anything about getting replacements under warranty. Anyway, any current advice would be appreciated. Mine are really looking horrible on the front cap, so far, the sides are okay.

dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
My understanding is that you are suppose to contact Keystone Customer Service, and they will tell you what to do.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
After you contact Keystone...get out your check book.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billhoover

So are you saying that Keystone is not going to do anything other than SELL me new graphics. If that is true, there is no point in my contacting them. I will just go back to the dealer and pay him instead. Please clarify.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My thery is once you pay to have the decals installed they will peel again, then you cn start the whole process all over again.
take it to a sign painter and put your own desine on, and enjoy it better than an advertisement.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were told at the fall rally to contact keystone and they will deal with it.Posted - Mar 10 2011 : 3:13:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by billhoover

So are you saying that Keystone is not going to do anything other than SELL me new graphics. If that is true, there is no point in my contacting them. I will just go back to the dealer and pay him instead. Please clarify.

No it does not mean that... Call and find out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

My thery is once you pay to have the decals installed they will peel again, then you cn start the whole process all over again.
take it to a sign painter and put your own desine on, and enjoy it better than an advertisement.

And here is the mystery Mine is a 06 3400 and execpt for bug dings the graphics are in perfect shape. I do not wax the camper and I do nothing to the graphics... The Mystery...why did mine last?????
Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
My idea is a product called black streak remover. It is very petroleum based and will damage the graphics. How many have used black streak remover on their rigs? It does remove the black streaks, but don't get any on your decals or any overspray on the rubber roof or slide tops. It will damage those areas!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clemson1881

My idea is a product called black streak remover. It is very petroleum based and will damage the graphics. How many have used black streak remover on their rigs? It does remove the black streaks, but don't get any on your decals or any overspray on the rubber roof or slide tops. It will damage those areas!
I was talking to a RV mechanic and he mentioned that the EPA restrictions on glues might have some thing to do with it comming loose, this all started after 2000 for most RV's acording to him.

Frchfaa you are one of the lucky ones without any shrinkage or curling. I hope it stays that way for you.

I never had this problem with any of my prevous Moterhomes or travel trailers with the corigated surfaces or my other 5th wheel trailer, and I waxed the dickens out of them along with chemicals for black streak and no seperation or curling with any of them. so the story of that causing the problem I'm not buying it.
if that was the case then all my decals would be curling and shrinking which is not happening I have some that are as good as the day they were put on, same surface and same amount of washing and waxing.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:42 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
However...Burlington graphics does have a handout on the care and Maint of the graphics that can be found on their web site and we had a copy included with our paper work with our 06 3400.

Just saying...If the manufacturer outlines how one should care for their product and one does not do that??? Who is at fault in the event of a failure????

Example.. the Manual said we should check the torque on our U bolts as regular maint. we did not read the manual or do the maint. Our U bolts came loose, axles shifted and coast me big bucks..

Who was at fault///// All I had to do was..read and do the maint...
Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Just saying...If the manufacturer outlines how one should care for their product and one does not do that??? Who is at fault in the event of a failure????

Example.. the Manual said we should check the torque on our U bolts as regular maint. we did not read the manual or do the maint. Our U bolts came loose, axles shifted and coast me big bucks..

Who was at fault///// All I had to do was..read and do the maint...
I see what you are saying Rich, and true, it is the responability of the owner to maintain there RV as often as possable and not the factory to a point, except for product defects.
(especally a person that is full timing, putting on many miles per year)
Its like the old Pinto by Ford all they had to do was invest a 50 cent item change to prevent the car from catching fire. It's the same as far as I'm concerned on Keystone's graffics department, you put on low grade vinal and adheasive then you see the results, this seems to be a big issue to all the RV industry regarding graffics. even the commershal graffics companies guarintee there work for 4 to 6 years on there wraps.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
After looking at several Montana's that are peeling, seems to be mostly one side...especally the side that gets full sun.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
lambchop, I also think you are right on this as ours have peeled on the front cap and left side which both are exposed to a lot of sun (whenever it shows up in new york) The right side is close to a garage when parked and does not get any sun. The right side graphics look like new.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
tangled web isn't it.. Understand what you are saying Don. keystone of course does not have a graphics department. Burlington Graphics is the vendor for the graphics. Keystone is aware of the problem as well as Burlington graphics as we hear at the seminars every year at the rally. Burlington said this year they have developed a new and better graphic material and just my "opinion" but I think keystone is losing patience with Burlington Graphics noted by them telling us not to deal with Burlington but directly with keystone on graphic issues.

In Burlington's defense there are so many variables. How does the Hot Texas sun effect them or the high humidity of Florida or the cold winters of Wisconsin. Our stick home in Northern Ohio expands and contracts in hot and cold weather. What does the camper do???
What effect does it have on the graphics.???

Should my graphics peel or shrink they will come off and we will have someone paint on graphics of our choice.

I don't think Montana can be very happy with hundreds of crappy looking Montana graphics on the road.Not a good advertisment.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Exactly what we have been looking at Rich, doing a painted graffics, but that is a costly job and we will have to give up many toys and goodies if we do that, so that job is on the scale or balance beam, do I invest 8K on a paint job for the whole Montana, and will my Montana last long enugh for Georgia and I to enjoy for another 6 or 7 years or a few more. we dont intend to FT ever so long as the insides are up to snuff and it looks like new were happy, as I tell Georgia we dont live on the outside of the trailer so peel away graffixs and I'll keep removing glue untill there all gone. she hate white, says its not a color.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #16
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Don there is another option I replaced mine on the front cap and clearcoated the cap. this was done last march and it sat in the sun and cold since still looks great. I am going to do the back cap in the next wk or 2. Last yr I had a local guy that was going to airbrush and clear it but he wanted approx 500$ so I installed the new graphics and a DIY clear coat. Just something to think about!!! BTW my sides look fine after almost 6yrs just the front cap was bad.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our last TT had painted graphics and after 10 years they had faded some but still ,looked good. Don..think you could get away with painted graphics if you did not get real fancy for a reasoable amount.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #18
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
The Montana next to us (today) has terrible peeling of the side decals. It is a 2007 model. The owner called Keystone directly and was sent a new set of decals at no cost. He did not even have to argue with Keystone which indicates that Keystone ( and maybe others) has a significant problem. He has decided to have new graphics painted on rather than worry about the problem repeating itself. Our 2006 has had no decal problems. We have an Adco cover, but only used it one year because I'm too clumsy ( or OLD) to be walking on the roof. We do have it waxed once a year. I use black streak cleaner, but usually concentrate my efforts on the individual streaks rather than washing the whole trailer with the streak cleaner.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #19
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
These decals are obviously made by different companies. The last post talks of a 2007 model with terrible decals...our 2007's decals were in perfect condition when we sold it in Dec. Seems to me Keystone should find out who's making the good ones and let that company make them all.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #20
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We have a 2010 with bad decals on the front. Will swing by in Goshen next month and let them look at them.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote