Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Informal and unscientific poll!

As stated, this is informal, which is why I didn't post it under "Polls". I'm more interested in the story behind your decision, than the decision itself.

What made you decide to get your Montana?

For us, it was love at first sight - literally! We started planning our retirement a few years before we were actually going to retire, and started looking at 5th wheel trailers to use for the traveling we wanted to do. D/W and I went to a RV show held at the Pontiac Silverdome, and the very first unit we saw was a 3500RL. After looking through it, we basically used it as a standard for the rest of the RV's at the show, and none of them had the features, floor plan, or looks that the Montana had. Before leaving we went back through it again, and our mind was made up. Up until that point, we had no idea what we wanted as far as brand or layout. After that, I went price shopping, and the rest as they say, is history.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our RV'ing needs and finanical condition determined the brand. We had never heard of the Montana brand till we ran into a MOC member in 2004 and added it to our "look" list. We had narrowed the list to.. Jayco Designer, Cardinal and Montana. The jayco and Montana 3400 were very similar. Bang for the buck and dealer went to the Montana 3400. We could not have cared less what name was on the RV.It was what we needed.... That has worked well for us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
For us we've had RVs since the early 70s and this was the big one to live in. We were really debating over the Big Horn 3600RL and the Montana 3400RL. The final decision was the floorplan specific to the closet as you enter the Monty for coats and shoes etc. We wanted four slides plus the kitchen with the "L". The Everset 344J also came into play and was very close to purchasing it until we found the new Maontana at a good price and pretty well loaded with what we wanted in options.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
After Betsy had a small stroke a few years ago we decided life was too short to deal with 7 months of winter in Northern Wisconsin and we wanted to travel. We bought a 29FBS (SOB) Jayco and did one season in it. We had two 100 lb labs with us and still had such a good time that when we got home in the spring of the next year we decided to fulltime. We knew right away that we would not do another season in the Jayco as it was too small and crowded. We had looked at Big Horns, and Jayco Designers both of which had the "L" counter, but we knew that if we were going to fulltime we would need a Washer/Dryer. both of those choices had the W/D hookups in the front closet which meant a combo unit. That was not going to happen if we could help it. When we first saw the 3400 Montana in St Augustine we knew which rig we would get. When we got back to Wisconsin we started looking around for a dealer. We finally went to Greenway in Wisconsin Rapids and ordered a BigSky with double pain windows, one extra Fantastic Fan, and a front AC. We picked the Big Sky because it had a few extras and we liked the unit a little bit better than the Montana. We are still happy with our choice and if we upgrade we will get another unit that has the stack W/D closet... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
For us the Montana was one of the higher end and larger floor plans that our regular dealer always carried and we would drool over them at their annual rv shows. So when the daughters left home we decided we needed a larger unit with a bedroom slide the Montana line was it. It was after the purchase that we join the MOC family.

That was the process to buy our first Montana a 2955RL.

For the 2nd Montana we were are already sold on the many attributes of the Montana line AND the value of being member of the MOC forum family that we didn't even need to look any further. Because of easy access to and from the Monty with the hide a bed extended (as compared to the 2955 which blocked the entrance doors when extended) and the full closet at the entry door we decided on the 3400RL.

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Shopped for a year for our first 5er. Narrowed it down to Montana, Cardinal, and Cedar Creek. Made many trips to look at all of them. Something just kept pulling us back to the Montana. Bought it and have never regretted it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:10 AM   #7
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
We began throwing our sleeping bags on the ground in 1960, and moved up over the years through tents and campers. When we went full-time in 1994 we started out in an Aljo and then moved up to a Hitchhiker which we absolutely loved for the high end quality. This last year our beloved Hitchhiker gave out and we needed a new one. Our son and wife had a Montana (since moved up to Big Sky) and were raving about their units. Since Hitchhiker was no longer in business (subsequently we have heard they are selling a few units out of their factory only), we looked at the Montanas. We liked what we saw and decided on the 3075RL plan because it meets our needs and is still short enough to get through some essential gates at our friends' home. Once we became Montana owners we joined the MOC (at the suggestion of our son), and have enjoyed all of the ideas, suggestions and information. We liked our Hitchhiker, but if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. And we really do love our new 2010 Hickory Edition 3075RL Montana!
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We had a 7 year old Jayco we loved but we wanted a little more room. We talked it over and decided we were going to get a motorhome so of we went to several rv dealers in Tucson,AZ. Wanting to keep our options open and make sure the motorhome was whar we really wanted we also looked at 5th wheel. The rest is history, we(Nila) fell in love with the 3575 floorplan and the rest is history. It has been our home for the last 6 years and has served us well
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We were looking for a couple of years at the time we were in a Terry 5er front room over the pin. a great trailer but, no slides, and heavy. we looked at all of them, Jazz was in the weight area I wanted but the quality of construction was just so so. At Pomona RV Show we saw this model we have now in 03 and loved the floor plan back then. we didnt look by manufacture just how it was constructed, and if it made us comfortable. and we wanted it to be our last investment so it must last us a long time.
A year later we were just noseing around at Mike Thompsons RV just looking and getting the eye candy, and we saw our trailer again that we had seen a year prior and it still gave us the good feeling again. we never heard of Montana and didnt care it was that floor plan 2980RL was what we wanted, so then we decided to buy one the sales person put every option in this R V they had except for toppers, fireplace and hide a bed couch. Georgia told the guy if it didnt have the vacume in it we would walk away from the rig, she got her vacume plus. It was ordered and we had to wait forever it seemed but in a couple of months we had a RV. we still feel the same about our Montana when we go places, it keeps us dry and warm and comfortable.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Great stories folks! Keep 'em coming!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
When we decided that we wanted to travel in our retirement, we started looking at fifth wheels. Vickie had never been in an RV so she was pretty surprised when we went looking for the first time. I had owned a Terry fifth wheel for a brief time many years ago. We looked for three years and had it narrowed down to the Cardinal and the Montana. I looked for structure and quality. We went with Montana because it had a few more structural items I wanted. We settled on a 3465SA and went to the dealer to order it. While we were there, the dealer showed us a new 3665SA and made us a good deal on it. Now all we have to do is retire.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Like most, we looked at many many RVs and attended many RV shows...and looked some more. Bottom line...the 3400RL had (still has, IMHO) the best floor plan we have seen then or now. Plus the dealer was real close, plus the dealer's quote was much lower than we anticipated. It was a no brainer.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Well our story is somewhat the same, but with a little different reason. We owned a 36' Damon Intruder MH. While camping in 2007 at our favorite campground in northern Mi a storm brewed. So my wife and I seeked shelter in our MH just as the lightening struck us. Now you want a scare, that will scare the **** out of you, no matter who you are. This could be a very long story, but will shorten it up to say we were fine, Haley the dog left and ran out of the place and went to the neighbors, plopped her butt on the couch and shook like crazy for a few hours.
The MH was not totaled by AAA, they figured they could repair it. So in the shop it went, and during the 5 months they had it we started shopping. We knew there was no way we would ever be comfortable in that unit anymore knowing that at anytime there could be a minor or major problem with it.
We wanted to go to a 5th wheel anyway, so we started our search. And like you all, we fell in love with the 3400RL. We decided that we were going to full time and needed something that we could live in and that was it. In fact we stoped and looked at the 3400 on the way to the auto body shop with the MH to have the body work done from the lightening. This was after numerous trips to dealers all ove rth eplace. There price wasn't a real deal and told them if they wanted to really deal call us. Well guess what, they called us on my cell after droping off the MH. The deal was made, and was told they had to deliver it to my home because I still didn't even have a hauler yet.
And as we see it, the best thing that ever happened to us, and the rest id history.

Dave & Linda
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Dave & Linda, being struck by lightning had to be one scary event!!!! Years ago, my dad's flight instructor was delivering a plane for someone and talked a mutual friend who had never flown to go with him. While flying, the plane was struck by lightning and it blew the door off! Like your story, it was quite hair raising!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We saw our Monty at an RV show, in and amongst some cheaper and some luxury 5ers. We had already decided we want a towable since we had a TT. The 5er seemed the way to go because you could get a LOT more trailer because of the way it's carried on the bed. We chose the Monty because it had the luxury 5er look and features without the luxury price AND weight. Knowing that there were plenty on the road and figuring that that many Monty owners can't be wrong we figured the popularity was why they were able to keep costs down. It was an easy decision to pick Monty and we chose our 3500RL because the living room could be completely closed off in case we had guests. We actually liked the rear kitchen but since we do have guests often enough we wanted the kitchen/dining in the middle. I also liked the floor plan that had the living room at the front of the rig (I hear it's coming back), but DW wanted to be as high from the ground and away from the hookups as possible. There again the 3500RL fit the bill.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We have had 4 pull trailers and most recently a M/H. We had fought with water leaks in it and it didn’t have any slides. We really liked the way it was laid out other than that. However, after having repeated breakdowns we decided it was time to look somewhere else. We were at a dealer looking at a few campers and left the lot when a sales person chased us down. She was kind of new and really didn’t know much about RV’s in general. We told her that we were interested in seeing some fifth wheels. She showed us two, the Montana we have now and a newer SOB which was less expensive and somewhat lighter. The Montana when we were in it just felt right. We knew it was a better camper. I could tell it was the better built camper over the newer one. I was also impressed with the complete surround aluminum framing.

We started talking and I ran down the M/H really bad, I told them how dissatisfied we were with it. I told them everything I could think of that was wrong with it not expecting them to come back with a very good offer. They offered us more than we paid for it initially sight un-seen. They did say they would look it over when we took it to them. That offer was what sealed the deal for us. We thought we were getting a pretty good unit with the Montana, even knowing that it had a small water leak in the B/R. When we brought it to them the sales person who sold us the Montana was really impressed with it. We wanted to get rid of the M/H so bad we really didn’t think very much about what we were going to get. The Montana just happened to be there and it was our pick of the litter. They were happy and we were happy.

On edit, I was extremely happy to be towing once again!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We looked off and on for a couple of years while we were still working mainly concentrating on 5th wheels. Our starting list was very long including Alpenlite (a little pricey) Montana, Hitchhiker, Jayco and Cardinal. But after awhile we had it down to just two, Hitchhiker and Montana. So it was back and forth between the two until we were ready to buy. We were all set to buy the Hitchhiker but changed our minds at the last minute because of a price increase in the Hitchhiker just a couple of days before we were going to buy. So after breakfast one morning we stopped by the local Montana dealership (4 miles from our house) and Kathy saw the one that she wanted. So I made them a ridiculous offer and they accepted it and the rest is history. She does love her Montana.

Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #18
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
In our case we went looking for a new Toyhauler for the motorcycles. Decided we wanted more living space and looked at the Motanas on the lot. Once DH went through the Big Sky he decided it was the one. So yes I guess it was love at first sight!
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Well we have been camoing most of our married life so when the kids got grown we started more camping with friends and we had a lot of differant type & models of camper till we went to a camping show, my wife feel in love with the Montana so we bought a 2004 3295 and loved it . then this year we said this would be or next camper as the montana gave us great service with no problems,so it was then we sold the 3295 and got the 2009 3605 and i think this will be our last one. ( o inbetween we did buy a MotorHome and her and i both were glad we keep the 3295 as a back up, so we sold the motorhome and bought the new Montana.........No More Motorhome for us.)
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #20
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Louise was ready for retirement and we wanted something a little more residential than we had with our Cedar Creek. We looked at a lot of units and did our homework. It came down to another Cedar Creek or the Montana. When we went to visit the closest CC dealer it had snowed and what we found was a lot of snow in the CC that came through the slide seals. Our next stop was the Montana dealer who teated us like royalty. The 3400 had everything and more and the rest is history.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote