Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
AOL Problem

I don't know if this is appropriate for here or not, but here goes.

We got a new computer and could not get the HP printer to talk to the HP computer. Called HP, the tech fixed us up...after two hours and 50 minutes on the phone. However, now the only way I can get on AOL is through Internet Explorer. My uneducated guess is that one of the security systems is blocking my ability to get on through the AOL software. I've tried deleting cookies, temp internet files, etc...no help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I sent an email to Norton and have not heard back as yet.

Thanks.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have the same problem as you. I quit trying to figure it out and just go through the internet explorer. You could try turning off the Norton security to see if it will work. That way you will know if it is a Norton problem.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GregN

I have the same problem as you. I quit trying to figure it out and just go through the internet explorer. You could try turning off the Norton security to see if it will work. That way you will know if it is a Norton problem.
I'd do that too, except I have all my Favorites, Address Book, Saved Mail, etc, that I cannot get to thru IE. I have a call in to Norton now...I'm on hold listening to music. If Norton can't fix it, it's back to HP...they broke it, maybe they can fix it.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tom,
Open up Norton's Security and go into the settings. Browse around until you see a "firewall," and you want to "Add" an exception. The exception should be "*.aol.com" without the quotes. That should allow anything ending with aol.com to pass through your firewall. If you have difficulties with it give me a holler and I'll fire up my laptop which has the same software.

Also, if you are operating through a router you will need to add the router address. use 192.168.1.1. as an exception if you are running a router.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Tom,
Open up Norton's Security and go into the settings. Browse around until you see a "firewall," and you want to "Add" an exception. The exception should be "*.aol.com" without the quotes. That should allow anything ending with aol.com to pass through your firewall. If you have difficulties with it give me a holler and I'll fire up my laptop which has the same software.

Also, if you are operating through a router you will need to add the router address. use 192.168.1.1. as an exception if you are running a router.
Thanks for the suggestion...I'm going to print it and save it for future reference. After an hour plus with Norton (half of which I could not understand), they determined it was not a Norton problem. Next, spent an hour with AOL. Bottom line was that somehow HP compromised something in the AOL software when trying to get my printer to work. AOL finally solved the problem by uninstalling 9.1 and installing 9.0 VR. So far, so good.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tom,
I'm not sure how AOL is linking people to the internet now-a-days, but back when, they linked through their own engine and search results were what THEY wanted people to see. In the computer world I worked in we called it "Almost On Line,"(AOL). You can also call them every day and you will get the "First person out of the barrel," and you may eventually get one that knows what he/she is talking about. Sometimes it is difficult to understand the accent!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Tom,
I'm not sure how AOL is linking people to the internet now-a-days, but back when, they linked through their own engine and search results were what THEY wanted people to see. In the computer world I worked in we called it "Almost On Line,"(AOL). You can also call them every day and you will get the "First person out of the barrel," and you may eventually get one that knows what he/she is talking about. Sometimes it is difficult to understand the accent!

Agree...more problems. The AOL 9.0 VR downloaded okay, except the "Saved Mail" did not go with it...the "Favorites" and the "Address Book" did fine. So, another call to AOL, another 30 min on hold and another hour plus on the phone. The gal talked me through the procedure and I did exactly exactly exaclty what she said. So now I'm all set, right??? Nope, now I can't sign on AT ALL!! Back to AOL, another 30 min on hold, another hour plus call...now we uninstalled the 9.0 VR we put on yesterday, and installed 9.5. Like the VR, all transfered except the "Saved Mail."

At this point, having wasted three afternoons in a row, I'm not sure what I'll do about the "Saved Mail." I'd sure like to have what's there, but I'm not sure it's worth it!!
Old 02-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tom,
AOL is just a service. Once you are connected to them you don't have to use their product. Download "Thunderbird," it's free, and get your life back. Then download "Firefox," and get your internet back.